Critical race theory (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveXA

Reaction score
    Frankly, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Critical Race Theory curriculum. What is it, where does it come from, and is it legitimate? Has anyone here read it and maybe give a quick summary?

If this has been covered in another thread, then I missed it.

More on Virginia Governor Youngkin’s snitch line
    =======================
    ……..In fact, announced just days after his inauguration, Mr. Youngkin’s email tip line itself turned out to be divisive. He asked “folks to send us reports and observations” on objectionable material being taught at schools, adding that the state would “catalogue it all.”

The “divisive” material he had in mind, as he made clear in his first executive order, dealt with race, although he defined his terms so gauzily that they could mean almost anything.

The tip line triggered criticism, anger and mockery in Virginia and beyond. The association representing all 133 of Virginia’s local school superintendents wrote to Mr. Youngkin, pointing out that the tip line “impedes positive relationships,” and pleading with him to scrap it.

He refused.

He has also shrouded the tip line in secrecy, refusing to make public the volume or content of the communiques it has received or the actions the state government has taken in response.

If Mr. Youngkin’s tip line has sent any message to teachers, it is:

Big Brother is watching, and he won’t tell you what he’s found out.

A dozen news organizations, including The Post, filed a lawsuit in April seeking access to the tip line’s submissions.

Those submissions — rendered through a public channel, at the behest of a public official, with the ostensible purpose of modifying the material taught at public schools — should be public.

American Oversight, an ethics watchdog organization, and the law firm Ballard Spahr filed a second lawsuit this month.

It seeks similar information, including how the Youngkin administration has responded to tip line submissions………

Tallahassee U.S. District Judge Mark Walker said in a 44-page ruling that the “Stop WOKE” act violates the First Amendment and is impermissibly vague. Walker also refused to issue a stay that would keep the law in effect during any appeal by the state.

The law targets what DeSantis has called a “pernicious” ideology exemplified by critical race theory — the idea that racism is systemic in U.S. institutions that serve to perpetuate white dominance in society.

Walker said the law, as applied to diversity, inclusion and bias training in businesses, turns the First Amendment “upside down” because the state is barring speech by prohibiting discussion of certain concepts in training programs.

Tallahassee U.S. District Judge Mark Walker said in a 44-page ruling that the “Stop WOKE” act violates the First Amendment and is impermissibly vague. Walker also refused to issue a stay that would keep the law in effect during any appeal by the state.

The law targets what DeSantis has called a “pernicious” ideology exemplified by critical race theory — the idea that racism is systemic in U.S. institutions that serve to perpetuate white dominance in society.

Walker said the law, as applied to diversity, inclusion and bias training in businesses, turns the First Amendment “upside down” because the state is barring speech by prohibiting discussion of certain concepts in training programs.
    This is what I’ve been saying: it’s the opposite of small government, which is what Rs say they want. It’s obvious now that Rs don’t actually want small government, as long as it hurts who they want to hurt. In the case of their political enemies they want huge government. The bigger the better.

A school in Texas has determined that a chapter in a book written by its namesake isn't appropriate for seventh grade students.

George Dawson is one of the authors of the book Life is So Good, and his success in the literary world earned him the accolade of having a school named in his honour.

However, the Carroll Independent School District, which includes George Dawson Middle School, reviewed the book and limited its use in classrooms after a review raised questions over whether or not its content is appropriate for seventh graders.

Mr Dawson was the grandson of a slave. He eventually learned to read at 98, and published the book at the age of 103.

Chris Irvin, Mr Dawson's great-grandson, expressed some puzzlement to WFAA over the district's decision to restrict some of the content in Life is So Good.

He believes the book's first chapter, which recounts Mr Dawson's friend being lynched after he was wrongfully accused of raping a white woman, was the section school officials found objectionable.

"That's hurtful. You take away the bad and the ugly, and you only talk about the good, that doesn't add up," he told the broadcaster. "Black history is American history. You can't have one without the other. I can't go to your history and tell you, 'hey x that out of your life, that didn't happen.'"…….

Posted on EE also

=============
    My father, a successful lawyer and former aerospace engineer with an Ivy League degree, was an ardent defender of slavery.

Throughout my childhood, at the dinner table and the park, and when driving past public housing, he held forth on the superiority of white people and, as he saw it, the inferiority of everyone else.

He idolized our ancestors, who enslaved Black people in Mississippi. He would routinely denounce abolition as the meddling of know-nothing northern “bleeding hearts”.

“Birds of a feather flock together” was his mantra. This zeal for segregation extended to storytelling, and banning images of integration – lest his daughter be tempted to consort with anyone who wasn’t white.

He used my mom’s nail polish to cover Black children in picture books, or cut their faces out altogether. When I was seven years old,he took out a brown-skinned toy on the side porch and hammered it until its head came off.

Then he threw it in the garbage, where he said it belonged. He forbade me to watch Sesame Street because Black and white children played together on the show.

His cruelty was pointed and multifaceted. Once, when he asked what I’d learned that day at my fundamentalist Christian school in Miami, I mentioned that when someone fled enslavement in the South and was captured, their enslaver cut off their toes. My father was so angry, he seemed to levitate.

He canceled my plans and his own, and spent the weekend sketching civil war battlegrounds, lecturing me about the benevolence of my ancestors and the importance of cotton.

Luckily, no one else I knew in South Florida in the 1970s and 1980s agreed that slavery was acceptable.

As a child, I believed the US had progressed not only past my father’s enthusiasm for slavery, but past the denialism of our set of mid-century World Book Encyclopedias, which depicted plantations as bastions of quaint antebellum customs rather than the sites of bondage they were.

But the past several years have underscored how much that impulse is still with us – and is growing. In June, a group of educators in Texas reportedly proposed to the State Board of Education that references to slavery in the social studies curriculum be replaced with the phrase “involuntary relocation”.

The suggestion followed a Texas law enacted last year that prohibits teaching of subjects that might make students (by which it really means white students) “uncomfortable”.

As the new school year begins, similar laws effectively recast all references to slavery and its legacy as “critical race theory” in states from Florida to New Hampshire to North Dakota. Florida’s counterpart, the “Stop WOKE Act,” also targets private employers.

I’m sure my father would approve……..

guess I'll put this here.

Judge Walker in August issued a similar ruling on the law that blocked it from taking effect in businesses. The law is also subject to another legal challenge from a group of K-12 teachers and a student.

Tallahassee U.S. District Judge Mark Walker issued a temporary injunction against the so-called “Stop Woke” act in a ruling that called the legislation “positively dystopian.”

Missouri lawmakers are considering new legislation aimed at prohibiting the teaching of so-called critical race theory in its public grade schools – even though the state’s largest teachers’ union says the concept is not presently a part of schools’ curricula – and requiring the state to develop a training program to teach American patriotism.

Critical race theory is a concept, usually taught in college, that seeks to understand and address inequality and racism in the United States, specifically whether racism is systemic and continues to be pervasive throughout American society. Although CRT is generally not part of public grade school curricula, proponents and opponents of CRT disagree on the extent to which its tenets are spread in American public schools, and it’s become a widely politicized issue.

The proposed bill in the state Senate would prohibit teachers from teaching that “individuals of any race, ethnicity, color, or national origin are inherently superior or inferior and that individuals, by virtue of their race, ethnicity, color, or national origin, bear collective guilt and are inherently responsible for actions committed in the past by others.”

Specifically, “No school shall offer a course on critical race theory in kindergarten through 12th grade.”

The legislation also calls on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to develop a training program to “prepare teachers to teach the principles of American civics and patriotism.” Teachers who complete the training would receive a one-time bonus of $3,000...............

Missouri lawmakers are considering new legislation aimed at prohibiting the teaching of so-called critical race theory in its public grade schools – even though the state’s largest teachers’ union says the concept is not presently a part of schools’ curricula – and requiring the state to develop a training program to teach American patriotism.

Critical race theory is a concept, usually taught in college, that seeks to understand and address inequality and racism in the United States, specifically whether racism is systemic and continues to be pervasive throughout American society. Although CRT is generally not part of public grade school curricula, proponents and opponents of CRT disagree on the extent to which its tenets are spread in American public schools, and it’s become a widely politicized issue.

The proposed bill in the state Senate would prohibit teachers from teaching that “individuals of any race, ethnicity, color, or national origin are inherently superior or inferior and that individuals, by virtue of their race, ethnicity, color, or national origin, bear collective guilt and are inherently responsible for actions committed in the past by others.”

Specifically, “No school shall offer a course on critical race theory in kindergarten through 12th grade.”

The legislation also calls on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to develop a training program to “prepare teachers to teach the principles of American civics and patriotism.” Teachers who complete the training would receive a one-time bonus of $3,000...............

American patriotism…jawohl!

NEWBERRY, Fla. — The inscriptions on many of the tombstones at the Pleasant Plain Cemetery tucked in the north Florida woods are so worn by time and weather that they are unreadable.

But Marvin Dunn knows their stories.

On a recent afternoon, he gathered students and their parents at the cemetery and told them about the Rev. Josh J. Baskin and five other Black Floridians hanged by a White mob from an oak tree in 1916 after an accusation over a stolen hog sparked two days of terror.

The painful chapter in Florida’s history known as the Newberry Six lynchings is one the university professor has taken pains to help document over decades of research. It’s also one that he fears will be removed from Florida history lessons under a new education law championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) as part of a broader push to root out ideas he deems “woke.”

The law requires lessons on race to be taught in “an objective manner,” and not “used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view.” It also says students should not be made to “feel guilt” because of actions committed by others in the past. DeSantis and other proponents of the law, which went into effect last summer, contend some teachers have inserted political beliefs into lessons related to race.

The language in the legislation dubbed the Stop Woke Act is sufficiently vague that educators and civil rights leaders worry it is having a chilling effect. The new law doesn’t prohibit teaching events like the Newberry lynchings, but teachers in several parts of the state said they fear it will compel them to water down or gloss over uncomfortable truths about Florida’s past.

“I can’t tell the story of the Newberry Six without expressing my disgust for the lynching of a pregnant woman,” said Dunn, 82, a professor emeritus at Florida International University. “As a teacher who has spent 30 years going from place to place in Florida where the most atrocious things have happened, I don’t know how to do that. And I don’t want the state telling me that I must.”…….

But Dunn is intent on defying the governor — even if it comes at a personal cost. Last year, a neighbor who complained to police that he was angry at seeing “busloads of these Black bastages” at Dunn’s property was charged with assault after allegedly yelling racial slurs to the professor and a small group preparing for an event.

Dunn is one of eight plaintiffs in a lawsuit over DeSantis’s law, formally the Stop Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees Act, which also applies to public university professors. A federal judge ruled against the state in November, ordering a temporary injunction against portions of the act that restrict how college and university professors teach about race.

“Listen, if there is such a thing as the woke mob in Florida, I aspire to lead it,” Dunn said.

Meanwhile, Dunn’s statewide “Teach the Truth” tours are taking high school students to the sites of some of the worst racial violence in Florida history. His first tour in January took more than two dozen high school students from Miami and their family members to a museum that marks where married Black civil rights activists Harry T. Moore and Harriette V.S. Moore were killed on Christmas Day 1951 when a bomb planted under their home exploded……..

There’s that saying that goes, “White privilege is when your history is the core curriculum, and mine is an elective.”

Well, to Florida and Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), Black history isn’t even worthy of that bare minimum.

Last week, it was revealed that the Florida Department of Education had sent a letter to the College Board, saying it would not adopt the board’s new Advanced Placement African American studies course for its public schools. The course is “inexplicably contrary to Florida law,” the letter said, “and significantly lacks educational value.”

Meanwhile, AP courses in European history, American history, world history, U.S. government and politics, and other subjects, in various languages, remain untouched.

Quelle surprise.
For the uninitiated: The College Board has for decades offered AP courses and exams in a variety of subjects for high-schoolers.

The course material is supposed to be more intensive and to mimic what would be offered at a college level. To high school students who do well enough on their AP exams, many colleges and universities offer first-year course credits.

This day and age, it ought to be no question that African American studies deserves AP treatment. It’s crucial for all students to have access to this history and this knowledge and for scholars in the field to have an opportunity to reach younger generations.

The availability of this course would also be hugely meaningful for Black students. Study after study has shown that Black students are likely to be more engaged and perform better in school when their identities and histories are affirmed — and in a way that goes beyond fetishizing Black trauma.

I was an AP student myself, scoring well enough on the European and American history tests to gain college credit.

But I will never forget how humiliating it was to ask my teacher why we weren’t learning about Africa and Black people when so many other groups’ histories were considered essential.

The AP African American studies course isn’t even formalized yet; it’s in a pilot phase. For a decade, a group of African American scholars has been working to develop the program.

Only 60 schools across the nation are testing it for the 2022-2023 academic year, though the College Board is hoping to roll it out nationally by the 2024-2025 school year.

DeSantis’s move, therefore, can be seen as a preemptive strike — on the continuum with all his recent attempts to cut off efforts to teach tomorrow’s adults about Black Americans and their place in history……….

One of the comments from the above article, and should be a required response when someone says the kids shouldn’t have to feel any discomfort learning about history
    =================================
    Six-year-old Ruby Bridges, 1960: Brave enough to walk to school every day through a gauntlet of screaming white adults, accompanied by Federal Marshalls so she didn’t get beaten to death.

White parents, 2022: Sorry, our kids aren’t brave enough even to hear about that.

Last edited:
    So what ever happened to calling people snowflakes because they ot their feelings hurt, that needed to toughen up and stop being victims?
    The left and many here claim CRT isn't being taught in schools. I'll just keep posting examples of CRT if they keep saying it isn't being taught in schools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom