Christianity Today (the preeminent Evangelical magazine in the country) calls for the removal of the President... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

crosswatt

Reaction score

Just wow. This paragraph perfectly sums up my opinion since day one, and the opinion of so many believers who don't feel comfortable losing fellowship over the misguided support the Christian community has undeservedly offered this man. I honestly cannot believe that an organization is finally saying it.

To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come?

D4A02F68-0941-4322-ADB3-3586901D88EB.jpeg

Trump is not going to handle this well.

His best option is to ignore it, but he can’t help himself.

He will now try to divide Christians, but once the conversation among his supporters becomes about the substance of Trump’s morality, he will lose.

He will now try to divide Christians, but once the conversation among his supporters becomes about the substance of Trump’s morality, he will lose.
    He is tweeting that it is a Left Wing magazine.

Trump- “I won’t be reading ET again!”.

Also Trump probably- "What's Christianity Today?"

President Donald Trump blasted the nation's preeminent evangelical publication on Friday as a "far left magazine" after it called for him to be removed from office for his "profoundly immoral" conduct.

"A far left magazine, or very 'progressive,' as some would call it, which has been doing poorly and hasn't been involved with the Billy Graham family for many years, Christianity Today, knows nothing about reading a perfect transcript of a routine phone call and would rather have a Radical Left nonbeliever, who wants to take your religion & your guns, than Donald Trump as your President," Trump tweeted.

"No President has done more for the Evangelical community, and it's not even close," he continued................

This is awesome and it's about time. CT will definitely pay in the short term, but I think in the long term they will be rewarded for their integrity and courage. Everyone knows that they speak the truth, and any hope to attract their flock has to include honesty and integrity. It makes me want to go buy their magazine.

Why is this getting news? The magazine did not support Trump in 2016, did it?
    Here is an article I pulled up searching Google for "did 'Christianity Today' support Trump in 2016"

making a big deal out of an anti-Trump article in the New Yorker.

Seems to me this is like

Why is this getting news? The magazine did not support Trump in 2016, did it?
    Here is an article I pulled up searching Google for "did 'Christianity Today' support Trump in 2016"

making a big deal out of an anti-Trump article in the New Yorker.

Seems to me this is like
    Did you read the first paragraph of the article you posted?

As a non-profit journalistic organization, Christianity Today is doubly committed to staying neutral regarding political campaigns—the law requires it, and we serve our readers best when we give them the information and analysis they need to make their own judgments.

They were not saying in 2016 to vote or not vote for Trump. They were saying, as a good Christian magazine should, that there were serious moral issues that voters should consider when voting, but stopped short of saying not to vote for him. They provided moral analysis of Trump as a candidate and asked voters to carefully consider the morality of voting for him.

Now, they are saying he is unacceptable as a president and should be removed. That's a marked change.

Did you read the first paragraph of the article you posted?

They were not saying in 2016 to vote or not vote for Trump. They were saying, as a good Christian magazine should, that there were serious moral issues that voters should consider when voting, but stopped short of saying not to vote for him. They provided moral analysis of Trump as a candidate and asked voters to carefully consider the morality of voting for him.

Now, they are saying he is unacceptable as a president and should be removed. That's a marked change.
    It was clear that the magazine did not support Trump - they could not endorse a candidate due to federal law, hence the caveat you are pointing out in the 2016 article.

I see how it is newsworthy though. I guess I just think the importance being attached to it is way overblown.

It was clear that the magazine did not support Trump - they could not endorse a candidate due to federal law, hence the caveat you are pointing out in the 2016 article.

I see how it is newsworthy though. I guess I just think the importance being attached to it is way overblown.

it was clear? Where was it clear? Please point out exactly where they said, in that 2016 article, do not vote for Trump.

It's hardly a caveat if it's literally their opening paragraph. They could not endorse, but they made clear that they could not support the Democratic party platform, either.

It is likely that the vast majority of persons at CT supported Trump with reservation, as most Christians in 2016.

It is significant in the sense that as of mid-September (according to: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/10/trump-white-evangelical-impeachment/600376/), 94 percent of white evangelicals opposed impeachment.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the first major Christian organization indirectly pointing out the hypocrisy of current evangelicals who continue to support trump. IMO, that's pretty news worthy.

It’s amazing to see a major evangelical organization that hasn’t sold its soul. It gives us hope that more evangelicals will see the light.

Christianity Today is conspired by MediaBiasFactCheck.com to be "center right" and highly reliable in its factual reporting.

I thought this was an interesting response:

You're not in the Evangelical community, IIRC. For a publication aligned with it to make a statement like this is pretty massive.

It’s amazing to see a major evangelical organization that hasn’t sold its soul. It gives us hope that more evangelicals will see the light.
    The magazine's founder, Billy Graham, had this to say about the direction he wanted to see Christianity Today "plant the Evangelical flag in the middle of the road, taking the conservative theological position but a definite liberal approach to social problems. it would combine the best and liberalism in the best and fundamentalism without compromising theologically."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom