Christianity Today (the preeminent Evangelical magazine in the country) calls for the removal of the President... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

crosswatt

Reaction score

Just wow. This paragraph perfectly sums up my opinion since day one, and the opinion of so many believers who don't feel comfortable losing fellowship over the misguided support the Christian community has undeservedly offered this man. I honestly cannot believe that an organization is finally saying it.

To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come?

As the political clamor caused by a top Christian magazine’s call to remove President Donald Trump from office continues to reverberate, more than 100 conservative evangelicals closed ranks further around Trump on Sunday.

In a letter to the president of Christianity Today magazine, the group of evangelicals chided Editor-in-Chief Mark Galli for penning an anti-Trump editorial, published Thursday, that they portrayed as a dig at their characters as well as the president’s.

“Your editorial offensively questioned the spiritual integrity and Christian witness of tens-of-millions of believers who take seriously their civic and moral obligations,” the evangelicals wrote to the magazine’s president, Timothy Dalrymple..........

Billy Graham's son, Franklin, is P.O.'d that the editor used his father's magazine as a venue to call for the president's resignation.

He also revealed that his father voted for DJT in 2016.

Franklin Graham
    December 19 at 11:39 PM ·
    My Response to Christianity Today:
    Christianity Today released an editorial stating that President Trump should be removed from office—and they invoked my father’s name (I suppose to try to bring legitimacy to their statements), so I feel it is important for me to respond. Yes, my father Billy Graham founded Christianity Today; but no, he would not agree with their opinion piece. In fact, he would be very disappointed. I have not previously shared who my father voted for in the past election, but because of this article, I feel it is necessary to share it now. My father knew Donald Trump, he believed in Donald Trump, and he voted for Donald Trump. He believed that Donald J. Trump was the man for this hour in history for our nation.
    For Christianity Today to side with the Democrat Party in a totally partisan attack on the President of the United States is unfathomable. - Continued

Billy Graham's son, Franklin, is P.O.'d that the editor used his father's magazine as a venue to call for the president's resignation.

Franklin Graham
    Christianity Today released an editorial stating that President Trump should be removed from office—and they invoked my father’s name (I suppose to try to bring legitimacy to their statements), so I feel it is important for me to respond. Yes, my father Billy Graham founded Christianity Today; but no, he would not agree with their opinion piece. In fact, he would be very disappointed. I have not previously shared who my father voted for in the past election, but because of this article, I feel it is necessary to share it now. My father knew Donald Trump, he believed in Donald Trump, and he voted for Donald Trump. He believed that Donald J. Trump was the man for this hour in history for our nation.
    For Christianity Today to side with the Democrat Party in a totally partisan attack on the President of the United States is unfathomable. - Continued

So Billy Graham has no moral compass. Thanks, Franklin, for the unnecessary confirmation, I guess. 😁

Franklin Graham

The rapture can't come soon enough... bunch of hypocrites.

Franklin Graham can certainly state who Billy Graham voted for in 2016. That has little bearing on how Billy Graham would have felt in 2020 as he's been dead for almost 2 years. So unless Franklin has been hitting the Ouija board, he can only guess as buyers remorse is a real thing. Now. I'm not suggesting B. Graham would have buyers remorse. He could have been the double down type. It's still just guess work.

To me, the editor's opinion, Franklin Graham's opinion and Billy Graham's opinion combined carry roughly the same weight as the opinions of Jim and Tammy Baker, Jessie Duplantis, Jimmy Swaggart and Rev. Ike. But, here we are.

“Your editorial offensively questioned the spiritual integrity and Christian witness of tens-of-millions of believers who take seriously their civic and moral obligations,” the evangelicals wrote to the magazine’s president, Timothy Dalrymple..........

Mark 7:6 - "He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me."

I had immense respect for Billy Graham. I think he was sincere and Godly, and I think he lived his life for his God first and foremost. And it is quite interesting to me that Billy Graham's lifetime of stances and publicly stated beliefs and actions that backed them up took a rightward turn once he was incapacitated and suffering from dementia and no longer speaking for himself.

A man who refused to be tainted by the marriage of his faith to politics when Jerry Falwell pushed him to join the Moral Majority, saying that "I'm for morality, but morality goes beyond sex to human freedom and social justice. We as clergy know so very little to speak with authority on the Panama Canal or superiority of armaments. Evangelists cannot be closely identified with any particular party or person. We have to stand in the middle in order to preach to all people, right and left. I haven't been faithful to my own advice in the past. I will be in the future."

A man who was a lifelong registered democrat, but supported men of either party in his life, but rarely publicly.

And I feel sorry for him that his political hack of a son used him in his later life as a meal ticket to relevance, and continues to do so.

So Billy Graham has no moral compass. Thanks, Franklin, for the unnecessary confirmation, I guess. 😁
    Billy Graham did. Franklin does not. Franklin has been essentially the only window to Billy since he retired in 2005. Interesting to note the shifting opinions from where he was to be buried to social commentary that occurred in the years that followed.

Last edited:
    Billy Graham did. Franklin does not. Franklin has been essentially the only window to Billy since he retired in 2005. Interesting to note the shifting opinions from where he was to be buried to social commentary that occurred in the years that followed.

Agree to disagree, given some of the things he did when in full control of his mental faculties.

I thought it was in very poor taste for Billy Graham's son to reveal who he had voted for in 2016. If Billy Graham wanted people to know, he would have said so publicly at the time.

Franklin Graham appears to be a real piece of, ahem, work.

He is tweeting that it is a Left Wing magazine.

This is a fascinating experiment to watch. My money's on the magazine falling off with evangelical readers.

After all, who would want to say they were wrong about Trump being the 'chosen one' by god?

I think the Christians may have waited too long to save the white evangelicals from Trump.

Maybe they should have made their stand at “grab them by the arse” (cat).

Agree to disagree, given some of the things he did when in full control of his mental faculties.
    You mean the JFK/Catholicism thing? That was bad, but I felt he redeemed himself a bit with his efforts to mend that fence afterwards. But I get it.

This is a fascinating experiment to watch. My money's on the magazine falling off with evangelical readers.

After all, who would want to say they were wrong about Trump being the 'chosen one' by god?
    An overwhelming number of Evangelical leaders have come out in opposition to the article's author. So it's 100% being dismissed to give cover to those willing to compromise their faith for judicial appointments.

An overwhelming number of Evangelical leaders have come out in opposition to the article's author. So it's 100% being dismissed to give cover to those willing to compromise their faith for judicial appointments.
    No, it's 100% being dismissed as the editor of a magazine not speaking for all of Christianity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom