Canada effectively bans assault weapons after NS shooting (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Gun owner here. To protect my family. Never had to use it, *knocks on wood.

I still believe that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Admittedly assault rifles make it much easier to kill a lot of people at one time.

And as we are prone to do, we will continue to find ways to kill each other even if every gun on the planet is destroyed.

While I agree that there should be additional legislation to control gun violence. This move by the PM is rather silly based on the facts of this incident. The individual who perpetrated the crime would have had access to these kinds of weapons even with the ban because of his profession. Also, according to news sources, 9 of the 22 deaths were from fires he had set, not the use of guns.

While I agree that there should be additional legislation to control gun violence. This move by the PM is rather silly based on the facts of this incident. The individual who perpetrated the crime would have had access to these kinds of weapons even with the ban because of his profession. Also, according to news sources, 9 of the 22 deaths were from fires he had set, not the use of guns.

What was his profession, because I thought I read that he was a dentist.

So I get the "they can still find ways to kill people" argument. But is that not diminished when their chances go down (ie if certain weapons are banned in that country)?

Gun owner here. To protect my family. Never had to use it, *knocks on wood.

I still believe that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Admittedly assault rifles make it much easier to kill a lot of people at one time.

And as we are prone to do, we will continue to find ways to kill each other even if every gun on the planet is destroyed.

That my good man is a bull cop out.

Yeah people kill people.

But the problem is we have people that desperately need mental health care taking out massive numbers of people. We need to either address the problems our Nation's mental health or the gun issue. Considering guns cost about one or two visits for real therapy one either has to get cheaper or the other has to go away.

Considering the right is against both how do you suppose to fix the problem?

That my good man is a bull cop out.

Yeah people kill people.

But the problem is we have people that desperately need mental health care taking out massive numbers of people. We need to either address the problems our Nation's mental health or the gun issue. Considering guns cost about one or two visits for real therapy one either has to get cheaper or the other has to go away.

Considering the right is against both how do you suppose to fix the problem?

I wish I had the answer and could help fix the problem. Unfotunately I do not. Totally with you on mental health, until the day comes when there is not a stigma attached to this it won’t be able to be properly dealt with imo. (Mental health)

Ban guns huh?

ot-oklahomacityfd-ap.jpg

But let's take a real look at Canada...

Seems Canada does has tighter gun laws yet gun violence continues to rise. Proof that more gun control does not control the situation and only makes it harder for the law abiding citizen to defend himself.

From NPR.

Gun violence is a growing problem in Canada's biggest city — and last year was Toronto's worst, with more shootings than any year to date, according to Toronto police statistics.

Canada has tighter gun laws than in the U.S. and suffers much less gun crime, .....
    people who want to buy weapons such as handguns and semi-automatic rifles must undergo deep background checks and abide by detailed restrictions on how and where to use those types of firearms.

According to Canada's government statistics agency, gun violence overall rose by more than 40% in Canada between 2013 and 2017, with much of that increase driven by incidents in Toronto.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders says that the city's recent gun violence has been connected to gang activity.

In a press conference in August, he said the Raptors incident and the August shootings "by and large have street gang connotations to them," pointing to the gang membership of the victims and those arrested.

So with all that said.. It looks like pure Politics as usual and the rights of the legal law abiding citizen are the ones being compromised while not addressing the real problem.

Let's start from the top.

Assault Rifle - Fully automatic. Illegal in the US since the 1930s.

Assault Weapon - A layman's description used for firearms that share characteristics with military firearms such as pistol grip, magazine, bayonet stub. Not a valid technical or legal term.

Automatic - So long as the trigger is held down, the weapon fires until it runs out of ammo or the barrel melts.

Semi-automatic - One trigger squeeze fires one round and loads the next round.

Assault Weapons Ban - A law enacted in the US in the 1990s to ban certain models semi-automatic weapons which shared characteristics with military weapons. Since it banned specific brands and models, foreign gun makers quickly set up shops to produce mass quantities of knockoffs with different names and superficial changes. The effect was to flood the market with cheaper, lower quality firearms and drive quality US makers out of business. The ban expired and was not renewed.

So, the Canadian ban names 1500 specific models. Perhaps they'll have better luck with that than we did.

Firearms were created to kill people on the battlefield. All firearms share that lineage and history. In the eyes of arms experts and military historians, to say you're going to ban certain firearms because they are only designed to kill people means banning all firearms because that's what firearms were originally meant to do.

I do wish the Canadians well in their efforts.

The only really effective way to deal with it that I have seen in my life is Australia's ban on all semi-automatic weapons.

Let's keep in mind, we took our freedom from the British at gunpoint with force of arms in 1776.
    Australia had to wait until the British granted them commonwealth status in the 1940s.

Eventually, we're going to have to do something. In the 1930s, we banned automatic weapons. It's time to revisit semi-automatic weapons.

Last edited:
    Yeah, Australia's gun ban seems to have largely worked, if numbers before and after are any indication. We will have to see if Canada's plan works or even makes a big difference. I don't think I would personally care if all SAWs were banned as I don't have any use for them and only hunting and personal protection guns like pistols remain. Ive only ever owned a 12 gauge.

I mean citizens can't own rocket launchers as far as I'm aware. Is it really that big a step to outlaw SAWs? It doesn't seem that way, but Im sure you could get into the semantics of what is and isn't considered semiautomatic

What was his profession, because I thought I read that he was a dentist.

My apologies for the gulf between responses, I haven't been around much. I just meant that with his profession and disposable income he had access to the fund required to circumvent legal acquisition of the weapons. In the articles it said he obtained the guns illegally anyway, so laws would not have prevented this from taking place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom