Bipartisan Infrastructure/3.5T Reconciliation/Gov Funding/Debt Ceiling (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

coldseat

Reaction score
    Thought it would be good to have a place to discuss all the drama on Capitol Hill and whether Democrats will get any of this signed. Given that Republican have abandoned any responsibility of doing anything for the good of country it's on Dems to fund the government and raise the debt ceiling. But as with the reconciliation bill, moderates are opposing this.

I'm really trying hard to understand why Manchin and Sinema are making the reconciliation bill process so difficult and how they think that benefits them? As far as I can see, all it's doing is raising the ire of the majority of democrats towards them. It's been well known for a long time now that both the Infrastructure bill and reconciliation bill were tied together. They worked so hard to get and "Bipartisan" Infrastructure bill together (because it was oh so important to them to work together) and passed in the Senate, but now want to slow drag and bulk on the reconciliation bill (by not being able to negotiate with members of their own party)? There by, Putting both bills passage at risk and tanking both the Biden agenda and any hope of winning Congress in 2022? Make it make sense!

I suspect they'll get it done in the end because the implication of failure are really bad. But why make it so dysfunctional?

The drama and diplomacy are set to intensify over the next 24 hours, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) scrambles to keep her fractious, narrow majority intact and send the first of two major economic initiatives to Biden’s desk. In a sign of the stakes, the president even canceled a planned Wednesday trip to Chicago so that he could stay in Washington and attempt to spare his agenda from collapse.
    Democrats generally support the infrastructure package, which proposes major new investments in the country’s aging roads, bridges, pipes, ports and Internet connections. But the bill has become a critical political bargaining chip for liberal-leaning lawmakers, who have threatened to scuttle it to preserve the breadth of a second, roughly $3.5 trillion economic package.
    What is in and out of the bipartisan infrastructure bill?
    That latter proposal aims to expand Medicare, invest new sums to combat climate change, offer free prekindergarten and community college to all students and extend new aid to low-income families — all financed through taxes increases on wealthy Americans and corporations. Liberals fear it is likely to be slashed in scope dramatically by moderates, including Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), unless they hold up the infrastructure package the duo helped negotiate — leading to the stalemate that plagues the party on the eve of the House vote.

I am happy the bill passed. The main issue is whether they will find people that want to work. The bill will be a bonanza for big business as they cash in these juicy contracts. As long as the stock market stays up we are all happy. I actually think Biden has done a great job.
    Just like most bills in Congress it’s a give away to special interests.

I am happy the bill passed. The main issue is whether they will find people that want to work. The bill will be a bonanza for big business as they cash in these juicy contracts. As long as the stock market stays up we are all happy. I actually think Biden has done a great job.

You know that trope about migrant workers doing the jobs Americans won't do?
    I've always found that insulting. There's no job an American won't do. There's just jobs we won't do for five bucks an hour.
    Everyone does a cost-benefit analysis with their job. As it turns out way, way too many Americans were "one more goddam thing" away from saying "Take this job and shove it."

That one more thing is Covid.

I have little doubt they'll find plenty of workers to fill $25/hr union gigs building roads and repairing bridges.

You love those Democrats that cater to their rich Corporate donors. You never are able or willing to respond specifically which shows you are nothing but a Democratic partisan.
    This is a pathetic lie, and rank hypocrisy from someone who cannot articulate his own ideas in his own words, ever, and shows nothing except partisanship, ever. You should be embarrassed to show this much projection.

This is a pathetic lie, and rank hypocrisy from someone who cannot articulate his own ideas in his own words, ever, and shows nothing except partisanship, ever. You should be embarrassed to show this much projection.
    Still no specific reply. Please show how the Democrats aren’t beholden to their rich corporate donors. I think I’ll be waiting for a while.

SFL your article is an opinion piece. Here is what he is objecting to:

1. He doesn’t like the fact that the bill specifies that American sources for raw materials will be used preferentially. It will be more expensive that way, but this will also keep some good jobs here instead of using foreign sources. I say that is worth it.

2. He doesn’t like the fact that the bill requires that projects pay the prevailing wage to workers, even if they are not unionized. This will ensure that the people working on these projects are not screwed over by the large corporations who will bid on them.

3. He calls rural broadband a “boondoggle” and says it isn’t needed. He also wants high speed internet to stay in the hands of private companies while this bill will treat it more like a public utility, especially in rural areas. I completely disagree with both of those positions.

4. He says environmental concerns that were rolled back by Trump have been reinstated by Biden and he doesn’t like that. I disagree with him here also. He wants the reviews to be streamlined, I don’t have a problem, with that.

If you like large corporations, especially foreign ones, to control infrastructure and workers to have lower wages, and less concern about environmental impact, then he’s your guy.

Still no specific reply. Please show how the Democrats aren’t beholden to their rich corporate donors. I think I’ll be waiting for a while.
    I have done multiple specific replies to you on just about anything. You never do the same, and when you are shown to be wrong about something you just run away or put up another wall of tweets. You have a lot of nerve to say what you say about me, while you act the way you do.

I have done multiple specific replies to you on just about anything. You never do the same, and when you are shown to be wrong about something you just run away or put up another wall of tweets. You have a lot of nerve to say what you say about me, while you act the way you do.
    You keep saying that, but you fail to actually do that. What's stopping you from doing that now?

How's that Clinton dossier looking now?

You know that trope about migrant workers doing the jobs Americans won't do?
    I've always found that insulting. There's no job an American won't do. There's just jobs we won't do for five bucks an hour.
    The minimum wage is already over 15 dollars due to the scarcity of workers. Wages are about supply and demand.
    Everyone does a cost-benefit analysis with their job. As it turns out way, way too many Americans were "one more goddam thing" away from saying "Take this job and shove it."

That one more thing is Covid.
    COVID was a bonanza for the lazy.

You keep saying that, but you fail to actually do that. What's stopping you from doing that now?

You are ignoring the TOS. You need to check yourself. You are attacking the poster, not the post.

I have just written two posts analyzing your stuff. Don’t act like I have not done it.

SFL your article is an opinion piece. Here is what he is objecting to:

1. He doesn’t like the fact that the bill specifies that American sources for raw materials will be used preferentially. It will be more expensive that way, but this will also keep some good jobs here instead of using foreign sources. I say that is worth it.

2. He doesn’t like the fact that the bill requires that projects pay the prevailing wage to workers, even if they are not unionized. This will ensure that the people working on these projects are not screwed over by the large corporations who will bid on them.

3. He calls rural broadband a “boondoggle” and says it isn’t needed. He also wants high speed internet to stay in the hands of private companies while this bill will treat it more like a public utility, especially in rural areas. I completely disagree with both of those positions.

4. He says environmental concerns that were rolled back by Trump have been reinstated by Biden and he doesn’t like that. I disagree with him here also. He wants the reviews to be streamlined, I don’t have a problem, with that.

If you like large corporations, especially foreign ones, to control infrastructure and workers to have lower wages, and less concern about environmental impact, then he’s your guy.

The minimum wage is already over 15 dollars due to the scarcity of workers. Wages are about supply and demand.

Again, insulting. You aren't lazy if you feel that your efforts have worth, that you as a human have worth and that when you work for someone, you are due fair value for that work. I for one am thrilled that my fellow citizens have finally decided to stop taking it up the arse. More power to 'em.

The minimum wage doesn't apply to migrant workers, that's the point. They receive hardly any worker protections, which is why they're generally from places of abject poverty and view a situation an American wouldn't put up with for a second as a golden opportunity.

Please show how the Democrats aren’t beholden to their rich corporate donors.
    I’m pretty sure the Republican Party has always claimed to be the party of business, right? Are you suggesting the Republicans aren’t beholden to big business?

How does the AT&T/OAN situation fit into that discussion?

Whelp, I hope at least some of this translates into actual better internet but I'm not holding my breath. We pay more for internet in this country for worse performance than other countries who smoke our internet connection speeds. Instead of trying to be better as a country, we just improve the efficiency of corporations to nickle and dime us with worse services. Also, I don't have much hope in improving the power grid. I could post a picture of a transformer down the street that looks rusted out, I'm debating on contacting any local media who wants to smear Entergy at this point.

We're not in a labor shortage, we're in a wage dispute. I remember when politicians told me ending the federal covid unemployment benefits was going to send people roaring back into the workforce. It's effectively worse now than it was back in July/September when some states ended it early and the feds ended it in September. I've seen help wanted signs that have been up since shortly before Ida hit and they're still up. I go in and ask what the starting pay is, they say 8.25$, I tell them good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom