Biden Tracker (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

It was already announced by Trump that we were leaving. Biden just delayed the withdrawal. But either way we need to get out of Afghanistan.

Props to Trump for that. That's about the only thing I agreed with him about.

What's funny, though, is that I am seeing a lot of posts from people saying, "OMG! Why did Biden announce it?! Way to tell our enemies!" I'm sitting here thinking, "Did you say that when Trump announced it?"

The US has maybe 2500 troops in country and most of those are aircrews of transport planes and helicopters with some advisors thrown in. I think the Taliban knows we're leaving regardless.

It was already announced by Trump that we were leaving. Biden just delayed the withdrawal. But either way we need to get out of Afghanistan.
    And here's where Trump would always screw it up.. did he not initially announce an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan via Tweet?

Edit: I could be thinking about Syria possibly

Props to Trump for that. That's about the only thing I agreed with him about.

What's funny, though, is that I am seeing a lot of posts from people saying, "OMG! Why did Biden announce it?! Way to tell our enemies!" I'm sitting here thinking, "Did you say that when Trump announced it?"

The US has maybe 2500 troops in country and most of those are aircrews of transport planes and helicopters with some advisors thrown in. I think the Taliban knows we're leaving regardless.
    What I don't understand is why on September 11th?

And here's where Trump would always screw it up.. did he not initially announce an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan via Tweet?

You could be thinking about Syria, but there was also Trump, in October, announcing troops would all be out by Christmas by tweet:

Confusion about troop withdrawals from America’s longest war — an emotional topic for the troops and their families — began Oct. 7, when Trump tweeted that “we should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving in Afghanistan home by Christmas.” When asked about those comments, O’Brien said Friday that Trump was just expressing a hope.

You could be thinking about Syria, but there was also Trump, in October, announcing troops would all be out by Christmas by tweet:
    Thanks, yeah I just looked it up.. pretty sure I was melding the two together in my head.

Pelosi vs Pelosi
    20210415_093015.jpg

20210415_093018.jpg

Yeah, pretty sure that was Syria. But I never read his tweets outside of what was reported in the news, so, could be wrong.

Yeah, now that I'm recalling this, I want to say he got some pushback from military leadership and maybe from the Afghan delegation, so he ended up pushing the date back to May. But it's all a bit hazy in my head right now.

What I don't understand is why on September 11th?

Symbolism.

I'm sure there was discussion on the things that need to take place in order for us to leave and not have it be abrupt. That takes a while. Security measures need to be in place for American contracting companies and things of that nature.

Symbolism.

I'm sure there was discussion on the things that need to take place in order for us to leave and not have it be abrupt. That takes a while. Security measures need to be in place for American contracting companies and things of that nature.

I get the symbolism, but I'd rather some generic date. But better then than not at all.

I get the symbolism, but I'd rather some generic date. But better then than not at all.

I get it and I agree with you, but you know how society is anniversary driven, no matter what that may be.

I get it and I agree with you, but you know how society is anniversary driven, no matter what that may be.

Yeah, I just feel like it might get painted as another target opportunity for enemies looking to harm us or our interests. If it was a generic date, maybe it doesn't draw so much attention. But yeah, we are an anniversary driven society for sure.

Yeah, I just feel like it might get painted as another target opportunity for enemies looking to harm us or our interests. If it was a generic date, maybe it doesn't draw so much attention. But yeah, we are an anniversary driven society for sure.
    The cynic in me makes me think the withdrawal date was pushed back by a decent amount of time to try to find an excuse to stay there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When we are there past the date originally agreed to by all parties shouldn't we expect increased violence? Should we expect another CIA concocted bullshirt story, like the Russian bounties, to be leaked. Will either of those things be used to justify staying longer? We'll see.

Also just wanted to say that in my life I have never felt that the Republican party is as weak and ineffective as it currently seems to be. Maybe I've just checked out, but that's my sense right now with the economy doing pretty well in the aftermath of an exhausting Republican presidency that ended with said Republican president inciting an attack on the Capitol.

That in combination with the much cherished immediate return to normalcy in DC once Biden became president is blunting their attempts to even be heard in their criticisms of Biden. Not to say it won't change, but it's just a weird feeling right now.
    Republicans are struggling to land attacks against President Biden as they grapple with how to win back power in Washington next year.

Biden is proving to be an elusive cipher for Republicans to successfully message against nearly 100 days into his administration, keeping a relatively low profile and refusing to engage in the day-to-day verbal sparring that has consumed Washington in recent years.

It presents a challenge that, GOP senators acknowledge, they aren’t hitting the mark on.

“We need to get better at it. I don't think sometimes our messaging is as sharp as it should be because a lot of the things they're doing are things that are popular—when you’re spending money, you’re popular,” Sen. John Thune (S.D.), the No. 2 Senate Republican, said about Republicans’ success in defining Biden.

Asked how his party was doing, Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.) replied: “Poorly.”

“I don’t think we’ve done a very good job because he’s getting away with defining himself and rolling out this stuff that we’re borrowing every penny for it, and the public is buying it,” Braun said. “We’ve got to find ways to articulate and scuffle in a better way, and I don’t know that we’ve found that.”

Last edited:
    The cynic in me makes me think the withdrawal date was pushed back by a decent amount of time to try to find an excuse to stay there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When we are there past the date originally agreed to by all parties shouldn't we expect increased violence? Should we expect another CIA concocted bullshirt story, like the Russian bounties, to be leaked. Will either of those things be used to justify staying longer? We'll see.

By the end of the year, the Taliban will be back in charge of the country, and women’s will go back to where it was pre 2001. Which may be better than having a repeat of the Iraq withdrawal which led to ISIS trying to establish a caliphate.

It will be interesting to see if the young people in Kabul resist the Taliban, and how much difference that might make.

The U.S. economy added 266,000 jobs in April and the unemployment rate rose to 6.1 percent, an unexpectedly poor showing falling well below expectations.

The less-than-expected showing exposed gaps in a recovery that some economists were worried would "overheat" by recovering too quickly.

Economists were expecting roughly a million new jobs in the April report and a drop in the unemployment rate. Some firms had projected increases as high as 1.3 million.

I know the states can just turn down the supplemental unemployment funding from the federal government.. but can they shift some portion of it to supplemental employee wages to encourage people to return to the workforce?

I deliver produce to mostly restaurants and in addition to all of the help wanted signs that you see freaking everywhere, we're having the issue now of restaurants closing down a couple of days a week because they simply don't have enough employees. And that trickles on down, obviously. The supplemental extension carries on through September, which seems like a pretty long time to me, especially considering that we're pretty much at the point here now where the supply outweighs the demand for the vaccine.

I don't begrudge people getting theirs, and I think it's an interesting side effect that wages are being pushed up because of this (to some degree anyways), but we're here now where it's damaging the greater economy and imo we're likely only to see further damage if it's not addressed by an
    additional federal bill or by the states themselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom