Biden Tracker (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

That's fair. And yes, I'll admit to not knowing that the numbers were lower than they were in 2019 under Trump.

I just wanted to point out another thing demonstrated in your chart..,

The Obama administration had put a great deal of effort into providing immigration services and targeting messaging in the countries where these people are coming from.

The people with relatives in the US that were entitled to immigration benefits were able to access those benefits in their home country and get in line to immigrate legally. You notice the significant downward trend at the end of the Obama years.

The people desperate enough to hand their children over to traffickers were constantly reminded of the dangers like sex traffickers or any number of ways to die during the trip.

Trump ended all of that. He just started taking kids away from the parents brave enough to take the trip with their kids. Eventually people got desperate enough to start handing their kids over to traffickers again.

It will take time to get the ship turned back around.

You know I said in my original post we would revisit this topic in a month. We could then see who was right, and who was wrong. You seem to be saying you had this right all along. Let's go over it.

I remember your argument being we would see another spike(possibly caused by variant resistance, or virulence), and the reasoning being because we wouldn't have enough people vaccinated. The reason for not having enough people vaccinated was daily administered rate never climbing. You were pushing hard for the delayed 2nd shot. Don't agree with that summary? I can dig through your post if you really want.

My stance was the daily vaccination rate was going to climb dramatically. That the issue would end up being the anti-vaxx crowd. That there would be plenty of supply, and not enough demand in short order.

As far as covid being on the rise, I guess you can use the word "rise". The daily infection rate isn't moving much even with states lifting all restrictions. This is the current infection rate in a graph.

However, the daily vaccinated average is almost 3 million per day going by the 7 day average. That's almost double from when you made your original argument when the vaccination rate was 1.7 million. Louisiana, along with approximately 20 other states, has already lifted all restrictions on getting the vaccine before the end of March.

So what about the anti-vaxx crowd? Well, this news about 40% of Republicans say they won't get the vaccine: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_7d1a1d52-92f6-11eb-8673-77132814c4b5.html

You were wrong on the vaccine rollout. You have so far been wrong on vaccine resistant strains. You have been wrong on another spike. I don't know how you can claim otherwise. I had long forgotten this discussion until you downplayed the vaccine rollout you predicted would never happen.

What sucks about the anti-vaxxers is it looks like if we can just get to 50% of the population vaccinated the R0 goes below 1.

I wasn't pushing hard to skip the 2nd dose. That was Michael Osterholm who I follow and consider to be one of top voices in regards to Covid.

Please cite my posts that show I was wrong about vaccine resistant strains(I don't remember talking about that) & the vaccine rollout(I said not enough people wouldn't be vaccinated to prevent another spike).

Both are still after the time frame that Osterholm gave for the next Covid spike due to the variants which remains my overall point.

You were wrong about there not being another Covid spike.

Though to also be fair, I just realized that that graph is not really current.. and that they say 172,000 apprehensions happened in March?! Wow.. I think that's a scary part about it more than anything, how quickly it's gotten there and how long will it take to reverse the trend?

As callous as it sounds we should not be in the business of temporarily housing an influx of immigrants, minors or not. Some surprisingly good ideas by Lindsey Graham (don't get me wrong, he's still a total worm) here:

“What we're trying to do is basically say, if you come to America, you will no longer be allowed to apply for asylum here,” Graham said.

“We want you to apply for asylum in your home country. If you’re a child and you show up at our border, we’re going to send you to your home country. You can apply for asylum there, we’ll give you a court date here. You can show up for your court date. But you won't be released within the United States,” he said.

“I am for dealing realistically with people who've been here for a long time. I’m for doing something for the Dream Act population,” he said, referring to those without legal status who were brought to the U.S. as children. “The price is to control the border.”

Graham’s bill calls for appointing 500 new immigration judges in an effort to clear the backlog of immigration cases.

But his bill would also likely limit the number of asylum cases that go before a judge, changing the screening test so that only those who can show they are “more likely than not” to face harm would be advanced to a hearing.

“The credible fear standard is too low,” Graham said. “Most asylum seekers are not coming because of fear but because of economic distress.”

Always thought it was a horrible idea. The wars in the Middle East arguably did little to quell terrorism and potentially exacerbated the situation. It's exactly what Bin Laden wanted. Trillions of dollars and countless lives wasted. The money would have been better spent on security infrastructure and increasing the manpower of the CIA.

Never mind the greatest of ironies is that America is its own worst enemy now. Trump's cultists and January 6 proved that.

Always thought it was a horrible idea. The wars in the Middle East arguably did little to quell terrorism and potentially exacerbated the situation. It's exactly what Bin Laden wanted. Trillions of dollars and countless lives wasted. The money would have been better spent on security infrastructure and increasing the manpower of the CIA.

Never mind the greatest of ironies is that America is its own worst enemy now. Trump's cultists and January 6 proved that.

I wish there was some type of UN force ready to replace us though.

It is undeniable that life for people in Afghanistan is going to go downhill quickly as soon as no one is there to deter the extremists. The occupation of Afghanistan has improved the quality of life for people in the population centers.

It is undeniable that life for people in Afghanistan is going to go downhill quickly as soon as no one is there to deter the extremists. The occupation of Afghanistan has improved the quality of life for people in the population centers.

Yes it has to some degree. But it was always going to be that they would need to stand on their own at some point. 20 years is more than enough time.

Yes it has to some degree. But it was always going to be that they would need to stand on their own at some point. 20 years is more than enough time.

Yea that is true to an extent, but I wonder what would have happened if we had removed all forces from Europe in 1965...

From having been there recently, it's mostly a NATO mission now. In Kabul, the largest military contingent is Portugal and Turkey with some Germans, Brits, Aussies, Belgians, Dutch, and Romanians thrown in. The Germans are leaving Mazar-i-Sharif, so I don't know what's happening after that. You're right that the population centers are substantially better than before, but that's 1/10th of the country.

You're right that the population centers are substantially better than before, but that's 1/10th of the country.

Yea I just looked and I didn't realize that "population centers" are pretty much just Kabul and to a lesser extent Kandahar, which are less than 10% of the population.

Weekly jobless claims plunged by 200,000 applications to the lowest level since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic more than a year ago, the Labor Department reported Thursday

In the week ending April 10, roughly 576,000 Americans filed initial claims for unemployment benefits, plummeting from a revised total of 769,000 in the previous week.

Last week’s total was the lowest since the week ending March 14, 2020, when Americans filed 256,000 initial claims for jobless benefits as entire swaths of the economy began to shut down.

Retail sales in March surged 9.8 percent as $1,400 stimulus checks were issued, the weather improved, and vaccination rates increased.

The figure was well above the 6.1 percent economists expected, and was a return to form after major storms in February led to a 3 percent drop. That figure was revised upward to 2.7 percent.

The $619.1 billion in sales was a whopping 27.7 percent higher than last March, when the pandemic hit in earnest and lockdowns took hold across the country.

Also just wanted to say that in my life I have never felt that the Republican party is as weak and ineffective as it currently seems to be. Maybe I've just checked out, but that's my sense right now with the economy doing pretty well in the aftermath of an exhausting Republican presidency that ended with said Republican president inciting an attack on the Capitol.

That in combination with the much cherished immediate return to normalcy in DC once Biden became president is blunting their attempts to even be heard in their criticisms of Biden. Not to say it won't change, but it's just a weird feeling right now.

Last edited:
Props to Biden on pulling out of Afghanistan after 20 years. This is something Obama, and Trump both campaigned on and failed to accomplish.
It was already announced by Trump that we were leaving. Biden just delayed the withdrawal. But either way we need to get out of Afghanistan.

It was already announced by Trump that we were leaving. Biden just delayed the withdrawal. But either way we need to get out of Afghanistan.

This is true.

For better or worse, the consequences of this belong to DJT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom