Biden seeking a $15 an hour minimum wage in his Covid relief proposal (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Incumbent

Reaction score
    If there’s already a Biden economy thread, I can add this there. It could have gone in the Covid thread, but the impact of this would extend well beyond that topic.

Well past time to raise the minimum wage, which hasn’t been increased since 2009.

I heard that Bernie will propose it as an amendment, which will force everyone to vote on it. It was said that is a good strategy, as the $15 minimum wage is actually a popular proposal with broad bipartisan support among voters. So Manchin and the Rs will have to go on record as opposing a popular proposal now and then again when it is introduced as a separate bill. Maybe some will reconsider their opposition.

I don't think the minimum wage provision was ever a legitimate part of the Covid relief bill. Every last Congressman knew the rule and used the moment to highlight the minimum wage issue, but it was never going to be in the bill.
    I don't think they knew that. it all is based on the CBO forecast.

What I'm also not sure about, is if they could have counteracted it with something else. i..e a 1% decrease offset with a 1% increase in something else. Or does each provision have to stand on their own?

I don't think they knew that. it all is based on the CBO forecast.

What I'm also not sure about, is if they could have counteracted it with something else. i..e a 1% decrease offset with a 1% increase in something else. Or does each provision have to stand on their own?

It's my understanding that the minimum wage provision has no direct relationship to the budget reconciliation process. The legislators knew this. The CBO forecast is a separate issue from the reconciliation bill. Those in Congress who are paying attention know this. Most of them were already on record as acknowledging that it wasn't likely to be part of the bill. So none of this should be surprising to any of them. This isn't the first time this has happened. They try to put stuff in bills like this all the time. That's part of the parliamentarian's job description.

They were denied a mechanism to get it done. That's it,.so far.

I don't think the minimum wage provision was ever a legitimate part of the Covid relief bill. Every last Congressman knew the rule and used the moment to highlight the minimum wage issue, but it was never going to be in the bill.

They can easily fire the parliamentarian. The excuse will never hold up when its time to campaign. There is nothing holding Democrats back but themselves.

They can easily fire the parliamentarian. The excuse will never hold up when its time to campaign. There is nothing holding Democrats back but themselves.

I suppose you could. But wouldn't it be a better look to change the rules? The next parliamentarian would likely rule the same way, so firing would be a waste of everyone's time. And why would you fire someone for following the rules anyway? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suppose you could. But wouldn't it be a better look to change the rules? The next parliamentarian would likely rule the same way, so firing would be a waste of everyone's time. And why would you fire someone for following the rules anyway? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

We just dealt with 4 years of people getting fired because “what I want” was more important than “them’s the rules”, let’s not continue that.

Only with people who lack the ability to see nuance.

Granted, that is a lot more people than I care to admit.

I think they will eventually. But there is a good chance it won’t pass because the Republicans will probably block it.

I have no idea what their positions are, but could they get any Republican support with a $10 to $12 minimum wage instead of $15?

Some Republicans have, yes, but they're tying strings to it, which would essentially be poison pills for Democrats.

What I would do is negotiate with Republicans on what the wage should be, no strings attached, and force them to take a position. It's pretty simple imo. I think it's possible to build some sort of consensus considering this is a popular idea, but it's going to take some leveraging to get there.

We would have to see some good faith bargaining from Republicans though. So far we haven’t really seen that in years from that side of the aisle.

We would have to see some good faith bargaining from Republicans though. So far we haven’t really seen that in years from that side of the aisle.

For sure. The bigger question is whether you can peel off 10 Republicans while keeping Democrat support unanimous. If you can get 10 or more to negotiate in good faith, passing something decent enough might be doable. Democrats have the majority and do have some leverage, but they have to be willing to use it to get things done.

I have no idea what their positions are, but could they get any Republican support with a $10 to $12 minimum wage instead of $15?
    Maybe, but doubtful. I wouldn't mind them trying. That was my preferred stance, a min wage of 11-12, but pick up the pace of increases. I'd really rather it not be national or even just state level, but that's another thing. Living costs are way out of whack with wages, even in the upper middle.

But your question was about $15/hr, and that is an emphatic "no".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom