Biden seeking a $15 an hour minimum wage in his Covid relief proposal (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Incumbent

Reaction score
    If there’s already a Biden economy thread, I can add this there. It could have gone in the Covid thread, but the impact of this would extend well beyond that topic.

Well past time to raise the minimum wage, which hasn’t been increased since 2009.

(the thing is, even if he did, theres at least two (D) senators saying they are opposed to the $15/hr increase)

Twenty-three prominent Democratic representatives, including Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Ilhan Omar (D-MI), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ro Khanna (D-CA), among others, urged Biden in a letter Monday to overrule the Senate parliamentarian’s decision that the Senate can't use budget reconciliation to pass the $15 minimum wage provision.

"Eighty-one million people cast their ballots to elect you on a platform that called for a $15 minimum wage," the lawmakers wrote in a letter. "We urge you to keep that promise ... and maintain the $15 minimum wage provision in the American Rescue Plan."

Nah, Biden is going to go high.

IMO, this whole debate about the minimum wage increase with this current bill is just political posturing BS on "both sides" right now. The right is just using it as an excuse to obstruct and the left is just pandering, I find it all exhausting. So, the min wage won't be voted on in this current bill, does that mean the House can't draft a stand-alone Bill that addresses a min wage increase?

IMO, this whole debate about the minimum wage increase with this current bill is just political posturing BS on "both sides" right now. The right is just using it as an excuse to obstruct and the left is just pandering, I find it all exhausting. So, the min wage won't be voted on in this current bill, does that mean the House can't draft a stand-alone Bill that addresses a min wage increase?
    i think its posturing more than pandering - Dems knew that Rs were going to demand some pound of flesh - so go ahead and include a popular rider (that you knew they were going to object to) and cut it when they harumph as a sign of 'compromise'
    it's not pandering bc it's the progressive wing that will be the most cheesed off about this

i think its posturing more than pandering - Dems knew that Rs were going to demand some pound of flesh - so go ahead and include a popular rider (that you knew they were going to object to) and cut it when they harumph as a sign of 'compromise'
    it's not pandering bc it's the progressive wing that will be the most cheesed off about this

There's nothing stopping them from introducing a stand alone minimum wage bill though.

This is what I thought it was as well.

It becomes pandering when they continue on with the rhetoric, ignoring parliamentary procedures and call for rule changes. Ending the filibuster, for example, is a terrible idea and most of them know this, but hasn't stopped the from fueling that thought amongst their supporters.

What are the chances any (R) senator would be in favor of $15/hr? My assumption is 0, so if that is the case, I don't see how there is enough support to get it passed since Manchin said he won't vote in favor of it. I don't see him changing his mind about it

What are the chances any (R) senator would be in favor of $15/hr? My assumption is 0, so if that is the case, I don't see how there is enough support to get it passed since Manchin said he won't vote in favor of it. I don't see him changing his mind about it

Yeah, I don't see Manchin agreeing to $15/hour in WV. He's not only a conservative Democrat there, he's also in a state where the average salary is probably near the bottom in the US. $10-$12 would get you Manchin and a fairly good number of Republicans.

$15 is a huge jump from the current levels. What I'd do is bump it to like $11 and index it to inflation. Then you don't ever have to mess with it again. I never understood why they didn't do that to begin with.

Jaywalking is often an infraction with a fine, no court appearance, and no jail. Unlawful entry is a misdemeanor subject to court appearance, fine, and max 6 months imprisonment. Subsequent offenders can be imprisoned for up to 2 years (felony).

I don’t think jaywalking and unlawful entry are good comparisons. Trespassing or B&E maybe. There is also an issue of sovereignty to consider.

Yeah, I think there have to be some limitations to immigration. What I would do is grant everyone who is already in the country provisional status where they can stay in the country and become citizens. But they would all have to go through the normal application and vetting process. I would significantly increase the number of immigrants who become citizens annually to accommodate the large number of immigrants currently in the country.

I know it's a lot more complicated than all that, but it's a starting point.

There was an article not too long ago talking about how Biden wanted to negotiate with the Republicans on the COVID-19 expanded relief bill, but he learned lessons from Obama working with Republicans on the ACA. He gave a lot of concessions, and still, ended up with 0 Republican votes. All it did was eat up time.

Biden, likely once seeing that Republicans wouldn't budge, had his plan B ready. Budget Reconciliation. Then, he wouldn't need a single Republican vote, so why waste time courting them?

The problem with Reconciliation, is that you can only use it once a year (technically, you can use it three times a year, if each one is covering the three separate areas, separately.. Spending, Revenue, Debt Limit)..

So, once you're in there, you want to get as many other things as possible, like taxes, tax cuts, spending changes, etc.

So, when the Byrd Rule denied the $15/hr change (I think if they changed to $11/hr, it would have passed the rule), their only option was to do that corporate tax that was floated around, or wait another year (if they can convince Manchin). Because, there is zero hope a single republican will vote on it.

So, a single bill is dead on arrival in the Senate.

$15 is a huge jump from the current levels. What I'd do is bump it to like $11 and index it to inflation. Then you don't ever have to mess with it again. I never understood why they didn't do that to begin with.
    The only reason it's a "huge jump" from current levels is because they haven't raised it like they should have years ago.

Targeting a lower wage now is basically "yeah we know you're living in poverty, here's a bone, make a soup and come back to us in another 20 years." It's ridiculous that it was only $7.25 when it was approved in 2007; Republicans know they can lowball it over and over again and the weak-spined Dems will cave over and over again.

The only reason it's a "huge jump" from current levels is because they haven't raised it like they should have years ago.

Targeting a lower wage now is basically "yeah we know you're living in poverty, here's a bone, make a soup and come back to us in another 20 years." It's ridiculous that it was only $7.25 when it was approved in 2007; Republicans know they can lowball it over and over again and the weak-spined Dems will cave over and over again.

I realize that, and really, I'm not the one you have to convince. Until you convince enough people, it really doesn't matter what you think about whether it's too little. I'm just stating where I think something can realistically happen. Moving it to $11 and indexing to inflation is far better than what we have now. The alternative is leaving it as it is now, and that's unacceptable. $15 just isn't politically viable.

It all comes down to votes... If enough people want something enough then get rid of those politicians who are against it!

Change is never easy or fast but can be achieved if people really cared enough. Problem is that Trump and his people keep telling those who would really benefit from this, that their problems are caused by brown people and immigrants and not by the super rich who really are the ones whose fortunes are build through the exploitation of everyone else.

I don’t know, but I have read recently that when the parliamentarian ruled against something the Republicans wanted to do years ago, they fired them. I think this ruling could be ignored, however the Ds don’t have the votes because Sinema has already said she won’t ever overrule the parliamentarian.

This should be the biggest point in all of this. There is no finger pointing at Republicans over this. The DNP will not raise the minimum wage. The hike polls over 60% in both Manchin, and Sinema's states. In fact, Arizona has a 12 dollar minimum wage already. They are refusing to vote for a Biden campaign promise, and part of the 2020 party platform. This is how you lose midterms.

This should be the biggest point in all of this. There is no finger pointing at Republicans over this. The DNP will not raise the minimum wage. The hike polls over 60% in both Manchin, and Sinema's states. In fact, Arizona has a 12 dollar minimum wage already. They are refusing to vote for a Biden campaign promise, and part of the 2020 party platform. This is how you lose midterms.
    They were denied a mechanism to get it done. That's it,.so far.

They were denied a mechanism to get it done. That's it,.so far.

I don't think the minimum wage provision was ever a legitimate part of the Covid relief bill. Every last Congressman knew the rule and used the moment to highlight the minimum wage issue, but it was never going to be in the bill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom