Autocracy and Trump (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Staff member
    Reaction score
    When Trump began to show admiration for autocrats around the world, I thought he was simply revealing his inexperience in foreign policy matters. I passed off his chumminess with the leaders of North Korea and Turkey as playing to the cameras and he would certainly understand that diplomacy is more than flattery. But he continued to express admiration for autocratic leaders like Xi of China, Putin of Russia and dictator wannabes like Bolsonaro of Brazil. I have become convinced that he sees himself as someone who should take a more autocratic position as POTUS and has thrown out ways to make it so.

I believe the first definitive declaration by Trump in this regard was his statement a year ago that the Constitution in Article II gives him the right to do "anything I want to do" as president. Then in April of this year, he told America that "when somebody is President of the United States, the authority is total." He dropped any pretense that he wants to protect the rule of law and abide by the Constitution. So he does an end run around Congress and reallocates funds intended for another purpose to more construction of his wall. Congress said no, but he can do what he wants apparently and the judiciary let him do it.

Now he signs a series of executive orders usurping congressional authority over taxation and appropriation of funds. He has no legal authority to direct funds for the payment of unemployment benefits and his order regarding the deferment of payroll taxes is as illegal as it is absurd. But having the authority to do things doesn't matter to a man who believes his authority is total and that he can do anything he wants. Add to these things his attempts to sidestep election laws, his interference with the US Postal Service, his willingness to ignore commitments to foreign governments and nations and a desire to use division among Americans to bolster his own position. He is an autocrat. He just hasn't hit on the right mechanism with which to solidify his power and hold onto his office indefinitely.

You can tilt to windmills all day, I won't stop you.
    1. The phrase is "tilting at windmills."
    2. I am merely using past experiences to infer future results. When the input data change, the model run will change.

Last edited:
    Up until today it’s been my feeling that Trump will win in November.. the whole ‘using the power of the office to maintain your power’ thing... and despite his (numerous) faults, he is relentless and will stop at nothing to win reelection... but the Biden/Harris thing has me feeling hopeful tonight... However, talk to me tomorrow and we’ll see if any of this fuzzy feeling has any staying power.

I so look forward to the VP debates. I have a feeling that lying Pence won't be ready to deal with Clobbering Kamala Harris

I'm not even sure the original Federalists would be pushing for this level of authority in the executive.
    They wouldn't be. Hamilton advocated for the Electoral College out of fear that an unfiltered vote would potentially result in the election of a populist demagogue who would subvert democracy through authoritarianism. It was the thing that terrified him about a strong executive. From the Federalist Papers, No. 1:

a dangerous ambition more often lurks behind the specious mask of zeal for the rights of the people than under the forbidden appearance of zeal for the firmness and efficiency of government. History will teach us that the former has been found a much more certain road to the introduction of despotism than the latter, and that of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.

I just finished reading a book on this topic called How Democracies Die, which documents authoritarianism in the US and abroad over the past several centuries on both sides of the aisle. It is frightening to see the innumerable ways Trump's behavior echoes the tendencies of other authoritarian leaders. The book offers useful perspective for what can be done to help steer the trend back toward democratic (small "d") rule. I'd highly recommend reading it, preferably before November, as it's also useful to predict future behavior. Spoiler: yes, we should expect him to use every tool at his disposal to delegitimize and subvert the 2020 election.

They wouldn't be. Hamilton advocated for the Electoral College out of fear that an unfiltered vote would potentially result in the election of a populist demagogue who would subvert democracy through authoritarianism. It was the thing that terrified him about a strong executive. From the Federalist Papers, No. 1:

a dangerous ambition more often lurks behind the specious mask of zeal for the rights of the people than under the forbidden appearance of zeal for the firmness and efficiency of government. History will teach us that the former has been found a much more certain road to the introduction of despotism than the latter, and that of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.

I just finished reading a book on this topic called How Democracies Die, which documents authoritarianism in the US and abroad over the past several centuries on both sides of the aisle. It is frightening to see the innumerable ways Trump's behavior echoes the tendencies of other authoritarian leaders. The book offers useful perspective for what can be done to help steer the trend back toward democratic (small "d") rule. I'd highly recommend reading it, preferably before November, as it's also useful to predict future behavior. Spoiler: yes, we should expect him to use every tool at his disposal to delegitimize and subvert the 2020 election.
    Who's the author? I feel like I heard something on NPR recently about this.

Who's the author? I feel like I heard something on NPR recently about this.
    Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt. I think they're Harvard professors who teach this subject:

Amazon product ASIN 1524762938
    It was written early in Trump's presidency, but it's prescient with respect to the things he's done to undermine the rule of law since it was published. It's a relatively quick read; I read it over the last couple weeks or so (that's light speed for me). Very, very useful to help understand how we got here, and how we might get out.

Whelp... now he's cutting the payroll tax? or proposing it? The article says he instructed the Treasury dept to stop collecting it. Can he do that? Doesn't that take congressional approval?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom