All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

The following article describes how in late February Nancy Pelosi encouraged people to come on down and join the crowds in San Francisco's Chinatown. And Democratic leaders pulled similar stunts in New York. And in Italy, officials encouraged their citizens to go out and hug Chinese people. Because, you know, to do otherwise would be racist.

That was irresponsible and bad advice from Pelosi, but that gathering in San Francisco was on FEB 24th, so it was a time that no one in the nation had started social distancing. At that point we had 54 cases in the U.S., but none of unknown origin. The next day Trump said we had everything under control. The first case of unknown origin occurred on 26 FEB in California, so due to the incubation period, it was still not advisable to have large gatherings. She was walking the line by continuing to tell people to be careful, but yet continue to support the businesses of Chinatown, yet she deserves criticism for that. She was at least aware that the pandemic was imminent and needed to be addressed.

What's worse is that even now, after we're much more informed, we still have people advocating ending the social distancing too early.

Here is the record as it relates to this administration's preparation and response for the Covid-19 pandemic. Get past the characterization in the first tweet and into the actual record - decide for yourself.

Thread:

Thanks Chuck I kinda know the timeline but really looking at it is just totally shocking.

We are in need of a strong second half to get thru this but it could have not really gone any worse to this point.

Good luck everyone!

Here is the record as it relates to this administration's preparation and response for the Covid-19 pandemic. Get past the characterization in the first tweet and into the actual record - decide for yourself.

Thread:

I don;t know how to link this specific tweet from the thread.. But I just love this one...

Trump is warned that his tariffs on Chinese goods will lead to a shortage in medical equipment due to most such equipment coming from China. Trump ignored the warning and imposed the tariffs, creating the exact shortage he was warned of.

Anyone notice a problem here?

Interesting thread about Trump’s evolution (in a week) from “open for Easter” to “100,000 dead”:

Thread:

There were several things listed that I had not heard reported, so I’ll need to fact-check them.
    1) He ordered 13 infected people to be flown on a plane back to the US with a bunch of non-infected people.
    2) He sent China over 17 tons of medical equipment in February after being told that we were short and were in danger of a pandemic.
    3) Trump is an anti-vaxer
    4) He cut the CDC pandemic expert in China
    5) His HHC director asked for $2B in February for PPE and medical equipment, and only provided 500M.
    6) I knew a version of this, but I didn’t know the name of the simulation: The Trump Administration ran a pandemic simulation called Crimson Contagion, resulting in a report concluding that the Administration was woefully unprepared for a pandemic, including being short on PPE. Nothing was done to fix it.

“I don’t take responsibility at all.”
That’s what President Trump said this month when asked whether he takes responsibility for the slow rollout of testing that public health officials say handicapped the country’s ability to protect Americans from the coronavirus.

But Trump’s desire to not take responsibility could also be extrapolated to the coronavirus crisis in general.

Trump has thrown blame in nearly a dozen different directions for the virus’s spread and different aspects of the response to it.

As he acknowledges that 100,000 to 200,000 Americans could die of the virus, here are the people and places he’s blamed for it, with some added context:...........

Thread:

Chuck, honestly, do you follow anything but virulently negative anti-Trump Twitter feeds? That seems to be all you post lately.

From the Tweet you posted:
    Lawyer w/o inside info who follows the Trump investigations closely and applies deductive reasoning. No affiliation w/ Blake Anderson. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

EDIT: Oh, wait, is that your personal video feed? I've forgotten. :hihi:

Last edited:
    And yet somehow his approval rating inexplicably went up
    This typically happens with any national emergency. Every president gets a bump. fivethirtyeight.com has a podcast about it. The expectation is it will go away over the next couple of weeks. People like seeing the president at Press Briefings.
    Link

This typically happens with any national emergency. Every president gets a bump. fivethirtyeight.com has a podcast about it. The expectation is it will go away over the next couple of weeks. People like seeing the president at Press Briefings.
    Link
    Yeah, months of no press briefings of any kind and suddenly, BAM!, every time I turn on the TV there's another live press conference featuring the president.

Folks, you don't have to post snippets of what he says. I've got a 65-inch TV on news channels all day while I'm working from home. :hihi:

Suggestion: Fact check first, THEN post.

“They have to get the shots. The vaccinations are so important,” Trump told reporters as he left the White House. “This is really going around now. They have to get their shots.”

Dude that is a riot!

If you have not noticed he has in the past had a completely different stance on everything?

And you pick the anti vaccine one! Riot my good man!

Last edited:
    Chuck, honestly, do you follow anything but virulently negative anti-Trump Twitter feeds? That seems to be all you post lately.

From the Tweet you posted:
    Lawyer w/o inside info who follows the Trump investigations closely and applies deductive reasoning. No affiliation w/ Blake Anderson. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

EDIT: Oh, wait, is that your personal video feed? I've forgotten. :hihi:

Once again, you're focusing on the package and not the contents. I specifically said to ignore the commentary - I was posting it because it collates a series of important facts and steps. You had the same exact response to something I posted last week - utterly ignoring the content (which is actual events with citation to legitimate reporting) because the person who provided the information in a form I thought was useful is someone you find to be biased. I think this says more about your refusal to engage on the substance than it does about the content of my twitter feed.

How about you respond to the actual point I was making - and even expressly said to ignore the commentary and decide for yourself. The content is about a serious of decisions and events made by the Trump administration that came to a head in a couple of weeks ago with the US in a terribly unprepared state to confront a crisis that was known to be coming for weeks and for which experts had urged preparedness for years. Trump not only ignored expert advice but chose a path of ignorance and irrational hope. The record is that Trump brought a particular anti-science and anti-global perspective to the White House - and that perspective led him to consider the US pandemic infrastructure to be unnecessary. The twitter thread details the steps (with citation to verified facts).

Do you dispute that the Trump administration effectively canceled the emerging human-pathogen program at USAID in 2018? That program had identified and researched some 2,000 potential pandemic threats between 2007 and 2017.

Do you dispute that the Trump administration eliminated funding for 80% of the CDC's footprint outside of the US and eliminated the CDC's position for an infectious disease official on the ground in China?

Do you dispute that the Trump administration eliminated the pandemic team situated within the NSC?

Do you dispute that the Trump administration was provided a pandemic playbook by the outgoing Obama administration that was effectively filed away to archives?

Do you dispute that multiple preparedness simulations since January 2017 revealed that the US was ill-prepared for an epidemic caused by a novel virus?

Do you dispute that epidemiological and medical evidence from Hubei China as early as mid-January demonstrated features of SARS-CoV-2 that indicated that infections in the US were likely and without adequate measures in place to include proper screening, isolation, and contact tracing, a US outbreak was likely . . . and that outbreak would be widespread and require equipment that the US healthcare system was not fully prepared to handle?

Do you dispute that Trump himself downplayed the risk of US outbreak for weeks while urging stock purchases while also receiving briefings about the full scope of likely disruption of American life and the American economy?

I have never liked Trump and that's no secret - I think he's got a uniquely objectionable batch of personality traits that make him unfit to be the president. My opinion is not based on "politics", I'm not a Democrat.

But if my tone and my posted content has gotten more "virulently negative" over the past month, it is because I think that Trump himself is largely accountable for the scope of the impact this thing has had on the US. He has no need for science or experts. He doesn't appreciate the need for global coordination on pandemic response because viruses dont' give a crap about national borders and those viewpoints put us at risk. He foolishly believed that messaging alone could save markets and the economy from the impact of a viral pandemic. And his viewpoint and messaging steered the federal response away from the more robust measures that would have been appropriate.

Those are the facts. That is the record. And it will always be the record for history.

There is no doubt testing has been screwed up. The good news is that Abbot Laboratories has a 5-15 minute test that they are going to produce in quantities of 50k a day beginning April 1. They also have a 24 hour test that they are producing in much larger quantities. Other companies are producing tests as well.

Rise, my pretties stock, rise.

Once again, you're focusing on the package and not the contents. I specifically said to ignore the commentary - I was posting it because it collates a series of important facts and steps. You had the same exact response to something I posted last week - utterly ignoring the content (which is actual events with citation to legitimate reporting) because the person who provided the information in a form I thought was useful is someone you find to be biased. I think this says more about your refusal to engage on the substance than it does about the content of my twitter feed.

How about you respond to the actual point I was making - and even expressly said to ignore the commentary and decide for yourself. The content is about a serious of decisions and events made by the Trump administration that came to a head in a couple of weeks ago with the US in a terribly unprepared state to confront a crisis that was known to be coming for weeks and for which experts had urged preparedness for years. Trump not only ignored expert advice but chose a path of ignorance and irrational hope. The record is that Trump brought a particular anti-science and anti-global perspective to the White House - and that perspective led him to consider the US pandemic infrastructure to be unnecessary. The twitter thread details the steps (with citation to verified facts).

Do you dispute that the Trump administration effectively canceled the emerging human-pathogen program at USAID in 2018? That program had identified and researched some 2,000 potential pandemic threats between 2007 and 2017.

Do you dispute that the Trump administration eliminated funding for 80% of the CDC's footprint outside of the US and eliminated the CDC's position for an infectious disease official on the ground in China?

Do you dispute that the Trump administration eliminated the pandemic team situated within the NSC?

Do you dispute that the Trump administration was provided a pandemic playbook by the outgoing Obama administration that was effectively filed away to archives?

Do you dispute that multiple preparedness simulations since January 2017 revealed that the US was ill-prepared for an epidemic caused by a novel virus?

Do you dispute that epidemiological and medical evidence from Hubei China as early as mid-January demonstrated features of SARS-CoV-2 that indicated that infections in the US were likely and without adequate measures in place to include proper screening, isolation, and contact tracing, a US outbreak was likely . . . and that outbreak would be widespread and require equipment that the US healthcare system was not fully prepared to handle?

Do you dispute that Trump himself downplayed the risk of US outbreak for weeks while urging stock purchases while also receiving briefings about the full scope of likely disruption of American life and the American economy?

I have never liked Trump and that's no secret - I think he's got a uniquely objectionable batch of personality traits that make him unfit to be the president. My opinion is not based on "politics", I'm not a Democrat.

But if my tone and my posted content has gotten more "virulently negative" over the past month, it is because I think that Trump himself is largely accountable for the scope of the impact this thing has had on the US. He has no need for science or experts. He doesn't appreciate the need for global coordination on pandemic response because viruses dont' give a crap about national borders and those viewpoints put us at risk. He foolishly believed that messaging alone could save markets and the economy from the impact of a viral pandemic. And his viewpoint and messaging steered the federal response away from the more robust measures that would have been appropriate.

Those are the facts. That is the record. And it will always be the record for history.
    If all you're going to post is junk Twitter feeds, I guess I'll just quit reading your posts. Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom