All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Putting this here because Covid broke the right wing’s brains and they are anti-science now.

Imagine that.

Maybe the next candidate for Governor will make mention of it.

If it's a Dem though, probably not. They'll say it's 'ghoulish' or something and crow instead about their pro-LGBT agenda.

Putting this here because Covid broke the right wing’s brains and they are anti-science now.

It's funny when Trump starts crooning about Operation Warpspeed, and the MAGA anti-vax crowd gets upset.

Of course this is the one thing that the Republican base disagrees with Trump on.

Former president of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro has been indicted for allegedly falsifying his Covid-19 vaccine records.

Federal police allege that Mr Bolsonaro falsified information in the country’s public health database in December 2022 to falsely make it appear that he, his daughter and several other close allies had received the Covid-19 vaccine, according to The Associated Press.

He also faces charges of criminal association.

The indictment comes after a long investigation by federal police into whether Mr Bolsonaro falsified his Covid-19 vaccine card to get around US requirements.

Mauro Cid, former aide to Mr Bolsonaro, was also indicted as part of the investigation, according to Reuters.

Last year, Mr Bolsonaro denied allegations that he falsified the data and said he had never claimed to be vaccinated.

A legal analyst told The AP that Mr Bolsonaro faces between two to twelve years behind bars if convicted of falsifying health data. Meanwhile, the criminal association charge carries a four-year sentence, the analyst said.….

To combat some of the misinformation being spread in here, a thread with studies and facts and a timeline. Spoiler alert: no experts lied to us about vaccines or Covid. The liars will be found in the media that SFL and Farb consume. There is a thread with links to the studies. I have posted the 1st 2 tweets and the summary tweet.

To combat some of the misinformation being spread in here, a thread with studies and facts and a timeline. Spoiler alert: no experts lied to us about vaccines or Covid. The liars will be found in the media that SFL and Farb consume. There is a thread with links to the studies. I have posted the 1st 2 tweets and the summary tweet.

Your misdirection attempt failed and does nothing to address what's being reported.

Misled McNeil: Nobody, but nobody, wants to even think about, much less cover, the chaos of the early COVID period. But to revisit that horrorshow: An extraordinary set of Slack messages was accidentally released by a congressional committee last summer. They reveal top evolutionary virologists telling one another that they find the “lab leak” theory of the coronavirus’s genesis plausible, but that, for reasons of politics — they didn’t want to give ammunition to people they saw as alarmist about some virus research — they should steer journalists away from it. The messages also include specific discussion about how to manage then-New York Times public health reporter Donald McNeil.

McNeil, with those scientists’ encouragement, became an early skeptic of the lab leak theory, before concluding it was in fact a possible explanation of COVID’s origin. He addresses the Slacks in his new book, The Wisdom of Plagues, writing that the scientists “clearly misled me early on.” McNeil is “disappointed, both in them and in myself, that I was so easily taken in.”

But he muses on the challenge: “It’s one thing to be lied to by a politician and fail to check it out. But on viral evolution, to whom do you go for a second opinion? … If Albert Einstein assured you that nuclear fission is harmless, whom would you trust to quote saying, ‘Einstein’s dead wrong?’”

Now the substantive debate is a “stalemate,” he writes, with both sides “hurling mud,” and editors demanding answers “so they can assign analyses of which political candidates benefit.”

Last edited:
    CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Republican Gov. Jim Justice on Wednesday broke with West Virginia's GOP-majority Legislature to veto a bill that would have loosened one of the country's strictest school vaccination policies.

West Virginia is only one of a handful of states in the U.S. that offers only medical exemptions to vaccine requirements. The bill would have allowed some students who don’t attend traditional public institutions or participate in group extracurriculars like sports to be exempt from vaccinations typically required for children starting day care or school.

“Our kids are our future," Justice said in a letter explaining the veto. “They are our most important resource, and I will protect them with everything I have.”

The governor said “West Virginia is way ahead of the pack” in protecting children from preventable diseases like measles because of its school vaccine policy. He said he had to defer to the licensed medical professionals who “overwhelmingly” spoke out in opposition to the legislation.

“I hear how strongly people believe in one side or the other on this subject, and I respect all opinions,” he said. “But I must follow the guidance of our medical experts on this subject.”

Justice, who is running for Democrat U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin's seat, received immense pressure to reject the bill from health care leaders, educators and parents. He refused to answer whether or not he planned to sign it before Wednesday's veto, saying he needed time to think through the decision.

The veto came on the last day before a key deadline that would have allowed the bill to go into law without Justice's signature.

The bill, which received majority support in both legislative chambers even with an overwhelming lack of support from health care leaders, would have exempted private and parochial schools from state law and allowed them to develop and enforce their own policies on vaccinations. Virtual-only public school students would also have been exempt.

All students participating in West Virginia school activities that result in competition, including but not limited to sports, would still have needed to be vaccinated.

The bill was publicly opposed by the head of the state’s two teachers unions, the West Virginia Hospital Association and the West Virginia Medical Association, among other organizations...............

I must be in some super small set of people who had all the vaccines, but also think lab leak is the most probable origin theory.

This is anecdotal, but I have NEVER tested positive for covid. I've gotten sick twice, and took 2 test each time.

I <3 Moderna.

P.S. With all the info coming out about the long term effects of covid infections. I do wonder how this going to effect the anti-vax population in the coming decades. Are we going to see massive increases in cardiovascular, and neurological diseases?

I must be in some super small set of people who had all the vaccines, but also think lab leak is the most probable origin theory.

This is anecdotal, but I have NEVER tested positive for covid. I've gotten sick twice, and took 2 test each time.

I <3 Moderna.

P.S. With all the info coming out about the long term effects of covid infections. I do wonder how this going to effect the anti-vax population in the coming decades. Are we going to see massive increases in cardiovascular, and neurological diseases?
    Yes, most likely. Along with the 'annoyance' level effects of Covid like alterations in taste and smell, chronic fatigue and migraines.

What'll be key is the difference, if any, in these effects on vaccinated vs unvaccinated people.

We already have some pretty good data that vaccination protects against long term effects. I feel better about being vaccinated all the time.
    It's funny how when anyone else says it was a lab leak besides myself you don't say a word.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom