All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Brandon, hope you both have really mild cases, if either of you have any conditions that make you high risk, you can get monoclonal antibodies early in the course that makes severe disease less likely. The earlier the better, though, so talk to your doctors about whether you need this.

Fiance and I tested positive. Her Friday and me earlier today. Mild symptoms thus far, but neither one of us feel particularly good.

Hopefully it's a mild case.

As the Hulkster would say "Say your prayers, and take your vitamins!"

Looks like Biden wants to use FEMA and the National Guard to give shots, but Florida, for example isn't on board. Of course, when listening to the main point DeSantis makes, he's probably right. We don't need help distributing the shots. We need more doses of vaccine.

I'd say, why not both?

but, we definitely need to ramp up vaccine production and distribution. Hopefully the Johnson and Johnson vaccines can get on board. And is the one from Oxford approved for the US or anywhere yet?

Looks like Biden wants to use FEMA and the National Guard to give shots, but Florida, for example isn't on board. Of course, when listening to the main point DeSantis makes, he's probably right. We don't need help distributing the shots. We need more doses of vaccine.

I'd say, why not both?

but, we definitely need to ramp up vaccine production and distribution. Hopefully the Johnson and Johnson vaccines can get on board. And is the one from Oxford approved for the US or anywhere yet?

DeSantis is grandstanding, as usual.
    We do indeed need both.
    Had we dedicated genies to magically deliver each dose, it'd still take years at the current pace.
    You need to record demographic and health data, give the shot, then have each recipient stay 15-30 minutes after, all while everyone is socially-distanced.
    20 minutes per dose, minimum.

I wouldn't trust a single word from DeSantis. Especially not after recent events:

Jones has said she lost her job after she refused requests to manipulate data to suggest Florida was ready to ease coronavirus restrictions. A spokesperson for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at the time that she "exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the department."

The search warrant was authorized as investigators tried to learn who sent a chat message to a planning group on an emergency alert platform, urging people to speak out publicly about Florida's coronavirus strategies.

The message stated, "it's time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead," according to member station WFSU, citing the probable cause affidavit. The message continued, "You know this is wrong. You don't have to be a part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it's too late."

I wouldn't trust a single word from DeSantis. Especially not after recent events:

Jones has said she lost her job after she refused requests to manipulate data to suggest Florida was ready to ease coronavirus restrictions. A spokesperson for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said at the time that she "exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the department."

The search warrant was authorized as investigators tried to learn who sent a chat message to a planning group on an emergency alert platform, urging people to speak out publicly about Florida's coronavirus strategies.

The message stated, "it's time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead," according to member station WFSU, citing the probable cause affidavit. The message continued, "You know this is wrong. You don't have to be a part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it's too late."
    I get that, but she did send that message and it is technically illegal. The truth is somewhere between both versions.

I'd say, why not both?

Well we need more than an afternoon to fix the ills of this last administration.

The defense production act is gonna happen.

Most don't realize how. Pharmaceutical companies without a vaccine will then be ordered to make them. Everyone gets their cut just like when ford made jeeps because willys could not meet demand.

It is gonna happen and will take more than a afternoon.

Fiance and I tested positive. Her Friday and me earlier today. Mild symptoms thus far, but neither one of us feel particularly good.

those hearts are for concern... not happiness - just to clarify

the political toll is starting to take place here. The Ontario Premier is Doug Ford, a mini-Trump. He's bungled so much and undermined the work of doctors and scientists that kept Ontario running pretty well. He started off reasonably well - not doing anything particularly well, but also not stepping in it too badly.

And his political approval rating soared - for a Conservative PM in Ontario, anyway - but since then, it's been total Keystone Cops.

We are in another lockdown with a curfew in the city. NUmbers are getting out of control. No enforcement. Political leaders leaving the country and lying about it.

I can't wait until this buffoon is out of office. But we don't have a re-election window until after we get through things now.

But we are being told that our peak will be late Feb and into March.

Schools are entirely virtual again.

It had been going so well, all things considered.

Leadership means something.

I'd say, why not both?

From what my sister told me today, vaccine distribution in Florida is a mess. No plan, no information! They can definitely use the help. She's a school nurse and hasn't come close to getting an appointment. I got my first shot today here in San Antonio. The city government here has organized 3 mass distribution sites throughout the city, focusing on areas where the spread is more accelerated (south, west and east sides of town that are largely minority and poorer) and downtown at the Alamodome. Of course, vaccine availability is limited, so you have to be a little lucky right now to register when they receive doses and they open up registration, but you can register online or through phone. They're also communicating well to let residents know when they get more doses. The process was very streamlined and organized and took about 2 hours total. I was very impressed. Nothing like that in Cape Coral, FL where my sister lives.

I have a feeling that right now, it really depends on where you live and the local governments ability/organization. I imagine that means it's a cluster fork in many parts of the country.

I get that, but she did send that message and it is technically illegal. The truth is somewhere between both versions.

Well she said she didn't. They raided her home and (according to her) pulled guns on her and her kids.

They seized some of her equipment but was no evidence according to her).
    " According to Jones, Florida investigators "found no evidence" related to the incident that officials said had triggered the raid: a chat message that was sent to a planning group on an emergency alert platform, urging people to speak out publicly about Florida's coronavirus strategies. She wrote on Twitter on Saturday, "police did find documents I received/downloaded from sources in the state, or something of that nature." "

The way they handled the situation was pretty much intimidation (in my opinion)

I'm sorry to hear that. Good vibes to you and your fiance for a speedy and quick recovery.

My parents were positive over the Christmas/New Years break. Thankfully there symptoms were mild and my dad was able to get that Reginron treatment through the VA. I'm grateful they made it through because they're both in there 70's. Me and my sister where on pins and needles for a while. We were all going to get together for Christmas, but we all got tested before hand to be sure we were negative. That's when we discovered that my mom was positive, she started getting symptoms the day we were all supposed to get together.

Well she said she didn't. They raided her home and (according to her) pulled guns on her and her kids.

They seized some of her equipment but was no evidence according to her).
    " According to Jones, Florida investigators "found no evidence" related to the incident that officials said had triggered the raid: a chat message that was sent to a planning group on an emergency alert platform, urging people to speak out publicly about Florida's coronavirus strategies. She wrote on Twitter on Saturday, "police did find documents I received/downloaded from sources in the state, or something of that nature." "

The way they handled the situation was pretty much intimidation (in my opinion)

I think I read this follow up too quickly. I saw she turned herself in and then was out on bond. I assumed it was because they found proof she sent the message. Now I'm not sure.

It will come out in the court cases. I just haven't followed. There are times she just comes off like a political opportunist, so it messes with my BS detector.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom