All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I get where Bernie is coming from, but I think a filibuster is a bad move. The goal at this point should be control of the Senate. If Mitch stalls the vote on the $2,000, run against him in Georgia. Osoff and Warnock need to be able to run on "Mitch is blocking relief." If Bernie tries this, the Republicans will say "communist Bernie is blocking your relief." Democrats have the upper hand here, why give it away?

I'm confused by this post. Wasn't the stimulus checks already signed into law by Trump? This is for a defense bill, and by Bernie filibustering, it keeps the stimulus checks in the news cycle. How does this hurt Osoff, and Warnock? I see no downside.

I get where Bernie is coming from, but I think a filibuster is a bad move. The goal at this point should be control of the Senate. If Mitch stalls the vote on the $2,000, run against him in Georgia. Osoff and Warnock need to be able to run on "Mitch is blocking relief." If Bernie tries this, the Republicans will say "communist Bernie is blocking your relief." Democrats have the upper hand here, why give it away?

Sanders is not a Democrat.

I'm confused by this post. Wasn't the stimulus checks already signed into law by Trump? This is for a defense bill, and by Bernie filibustering, it keeps the stimulus checks in the news cycle. How does this hurt Osoff, and Warnock? I see no downside.

The $600 stimulus was folded into a larger spending bill, separate from the NDAA (defense appropriations) bill. Trump signed the spending bill on Sunday, and vetoed the NDAA. Congress will attempt to override the veto, but Bernie will filibuster the override attempt until the Senate takes up the funding increase for the stimulus checks.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

I get what you are saying, but as Dave noted, he caucuses with the Democrats and ran as a Presidential candidate in the Democratic Primaries. Not a hard sell to Republicans (who are looking for a reason to vote for a Republican), that Bernie is a Democrat.
    But he isn't filibustering the $2000 payment amendment. He'd be filibustering the NDAA to get the $2000 on the table. So, I don't think the Republicans can argue that he's stalling on the payment. He's willing to screw with national defense to get us the higher payment.

Even Trump is lauding it (via twitter, indirectly).

Also.. You think you'd see the day where he's RT'ing the Washington Post about how the Democratic Controlled House did something he wants?

1609279623617.png

But he isn't filibustering the $2000 payment amendment. He'd be filibustering the NDAA to get the $2000 on the table. So, I don't think the Republicans can argue that he's stalling on the payment. He's willing to screw with national defense to get us the higher payment.

Even Trump is lauding it (via twitter, indirectly).

Also.. You think you'd see the day where he's RT'ing the Washington Post about how the Democratic Controlled House did something he wants?

1609279623617.png

This was my point. It's actually very smart for Democrats put pressure on McConnell in this way.

I get what you are saying, but as Dave noted, he caucuses with the Democrats and ran as a Presidential candidate in the Democratic Primaries. Not a hard sell to Republicans (who are looking for a reason to vote for a Republican), that Bernie is a Democrat.

Oh, yeah... Republicans will sell it as Bernie Sedongers.

I left half my thought off that post. Too late now. I'll just see myself out. Thank you very much for having me. Good nite!. :hihi:

Oh, yeah... Republicans will sell it as Bernie Sedongers.

I left half my thought off that post. Too late now. I'll just see myself out. Thank you very much for having me. Good nite!. :hihi:

You forget Trump supports the checks. In fact, Trump is pushing this harder then Joe. Joe didn't even mention it in his press conference today.

You forget Trump supports the checks. In fact, Trump is pushing this harder then Joe. Joe didn't even mention it in his press conference today.
    Why should Joe speak for this now??? His support for this right now would only turn trump against it and that would be the final nail in the coffin for this stimulus package. When Biden becomes POTUS, I guarantee you that his support for this stimulus package will not waiver.

Clearly, Trump has ulterior reasons for the $2k stimulus. Be that as it may, I'm supporting it, not because of Trump, but rather, because it helps most everyone living paycheck to paycheck. It's really not that much for most people making $100k per year, but it's a little something, but it's a big help for those people who make much less, yet are unable to qualify for assistance. We need to get it out because a lot of people are in a real bind right now.

Why should Joe speak for this now??? His support for this right now would only turn trump against it and that would be the final nail in the coffin for this stimulus package. When Biden becomes POTUS, I guarantee you that his support for this stimulus package will not waiver.

Yeah, I agree. There's no good reason for Joe to say much. Just say he thinks it will help and leave it at that.

Just read that apparently the $600 checks start going out tonight, so pay attention to your bank accounts over the next few days. I'm guessing if by some crazy turnaround from McConnell, there could be a second round with the additional $1400. Not holding my breath, but if it happens, I'm gonna buy a TV. :hihi:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) introduced a bill that ties $2,000-per-person Covid-19 relief checks to a repeal of Section 230, the provision of a 1996 law that protects social media platforms from liability for the way that they moderate third party content.

(because of course he would)
    Dems should call his flop and introduce a bill to repeal the repeal with the new administration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom