All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

So, today, the first shipment of Russian covid-19 vaccines arrived in Mexico. The date of the arrival of the vaccines coincides with the day Leon Trosky arrived in Mexico as an exile, after being expelled from the Soviet Communist Party. The vaccines are to be distributed "immediately".

caliente.mx has not set the death over/under yet.

Some states have a statewide mask mandate and a fine if you don't comply (I've seen it as high as $500, don't know how strongly it's being enforced though)

Will Biden do a national mask mandate and fine also?

People are already not doing it for political reasons

I can't imagine that changing much, especially from a president they honestly think stole the election

Some states have a statewide mask mandate and a fine if you don't comply (I've seen it as high as $500, don't know how strongly it's being enforced though)

Will Biden do a national mask mandate and fine also?

People are already not doing it for political reasons

I can't imagine that changing much, especially from a president they honestly think stole the election

well that answers that

I don't suppose it's possible to say that the vaccine goes to the states with a mask mandate first
    =====================

President-elect Joe Biden says he'll personally call red state governors and persuade them to impose mask mandates to slow down the coronavirus pandemic. Their early response: Don’t waste your time.

Almost all of the 16 Republican governors who oppose statewide mask mandates are ready to reject Biden’s plea, they told POLITICO or declared in public statements — even as they impose new restrictions on businesses and limit the size of public gatherings to keep their health systems from getting swamped.

South Dakota’s Kristi Noem, Oklahoma’s Kevin Stitt and Nebraska’s Pete Ricketts, whose states are engulfed by new cases, say mask wearing should remain a personal choice, not a legal obligation — despite recommendations from health officials and updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control stressing that masks protect the wearer, not just people nearby, from infection.

“Governor Noem has provided her people with the full scope of the science, facts, and data regarding the virus, and then she has trusted them to exercise their personal responsibility to make the best decisions for themselves and their loved-ones,” Noem spokesperson Ian Fury wrote in an email. “She will not be changing that approach.”

The politicization of mask-wearing shows how difficult it will be for Biden to build consensus around even basic public health strategies after he’s sworn in.........

“If President-elect Biden is indeed confirmed to be the next president, and he approaches me about a mask mandate, I would not be going along with a mask mandate,” Ricketts said during a press briefing on Tuesday.

“As far as a mandate, I’ve been very clear I don’t think this it’s the right thing to do,” Stitt, who was infected with the coronavirus earlier this year, said at a briefing on Tuesday. “This is a personal responsibility.".............

Last edited:
    well that answers that
    =====================

President-elect Joe Biden says he'll personally call red state governors and persuade them to impose mask mandates to slow down the coronavirus pandemic. Their early response: Don’t waste your time.

Almost all of the 16 Republican governors who oppose statewide mask mandates are ready to reject Biden’s plea, they told POLITICO or declared in public statements — even as they impose new restrictions on businesses and limit the size of public gatherings to keep their health systems from getting swamped.

South Dakota’s Kristi Noem, Oklahoma’s Kevin Stitt and Nebraska’s Pete Ricketts, whose states are engulfed by new cases, say mask wearing should remain a personal choice, not a legal obligation — despite recommendations from health officials and updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control stressing that masks protect the wearer, not just people nearby, from infection.

“Governor Noem has provided her people with the full scope of the science, facts, and data regarding the virus, and then she has trusted them to exercise their personal responsibility to make the best decisions for themselves and their loved-ones,” Noem spokesperson Ian Fury wrote in an email. “She will not be changing that approach.”

The politicization of mask-wearing shows how difficult it will be for Biden to build consensus around even basic public health strategies after he’s sworn in..................

Well that's hardly surprising. Who didn't see that coming?

I live in a very pro Trump area. My retirement job is at a local grocery store 20 hours a week or so. It is very common to see people without masks and refuse to wear a free one. What I cannot get figured out is what kind of person, if they know wearing masks in large numbers decreases cases and therefore the mortality and morbidity of the virus, what kind of person would make it a political issue and refuse to wear one? Had Trump came out as soon as the science evolved and encouraged mask wearing, the Trump backers would be wearing masks in the shower and to bed at night, not to mention to my grocery store. I really don't like the mandate either, but at this point I don't think the Trump people would wear masks anyway. Silly thing to be arguing about and Americans to be dying over. But here we are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom