All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

I simply don't understand people that so ardently defend how this administration went about handling covid. From the start, you had two choices.

1. Strong and fast restrictions, take the big economic hit early, set yourself up for a 3rd-4th quarter rebound with the virus in control to the point where outbreaks can be quarantined with haste.

2. Make stupid choices, prolong the pandemic, never get ahead of it. Major long-term economic damage, constant spikes and record case numbers going into the 3rd-4th quarter.

The USA decided to go with number 2. I actually heard someone saying the other day that Trump and his administration handled covid really well, are you serious? LOL

Trump got in the way of every expert after the outbreak started in the states.

I'm not going to lie, as of today I don't need a stimulus check and neither does the company I work for. Back in April when everything was shut down, I/we certainly did. The only reason I don't now is the same reason cases are spiking - people acting like things are normal. But once winter actually hits New Orleans in January, we'll likely see another lock down and I will need it again - maybe. I can only hope there's a new administration on its way in on 1/20 because if/when Trump loses, he won't approve anything out of spite. He's pretty much said so at his last few rallies by saying, "If I lose, I'm never coming back to (insert battleground state here)," because he's a giant man baby. The best I think we can all hope for is him sneaking off under the cover of night to a country with no extradition treaty (we all know what country that is) and Pence trying to save his reputation by approving/forcing the approval of the stimulus that's been collecting dust in the Senate for months.

I simply don't understand people that so ardently defend how this administration went about handling covid. From the start, you had two choices.

1. Strong and fast restrictions, take the big economic hit early, set yourself up for a 3rd-4th quarter rebound with the virus in control to the point where outbreaks can be quarantined with haste.

2. Make stupid choices, prolong the pandemic, never get ahead of it. Major long-term economic damage, constant spikes and record case numbers going into the 3rd-4th quarter.

The USA decided to go with number 2. I actually heard someone saying the other day that Trump and his administration handled covid really well, are you serious? LOL

Trump got in the way of every expert after the outbreak started in the states.
    The people that say that have to live in areas without an outbreak or just didn't know anyone personally affected.

The people that say that have to live in areas without an outbreak or just didn't know anyone personally affected.

Or they get their news from a single bubble, and didn’t know anyone personally affected. My next door neighbor, who I have never discussed politics with at all, asked me about a week ago if we still have people in the hospital with Covid. I was somewhat astonished. I said sure, we have never stopped having people in the hospital here locally with Covid since March. And our numbers are going back up to April levels. She was surprised. She thought we were almost done with the virus. 🤷‍♀️

At least 280 of the state's deaths have come in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities, many of which have been badly affected by the virus in the last two months. At least three facilities have 15 or more infected residents, according to the Department of Health's dashboard.

The state is battling through a shortage of available hospital beds as COVID hospitalizations converge with strains on health care staffing and high noncoronavirus admissions. There are 25 available intensive care beds and 268 regular, inpatient beds in the whole state, according to the state's latest figures.

The situation is especially urgent in Bismarck, where the two hospitals have just one available ICU bed and six inpatient beds between them. Grand Forks has just one ICU bed and 15 inpatient beds, while Dickinson has two ICU beds and seven inpatient beds, and Minot has three ICU beds and 16 inpatient beds.

More rural states get hit harder, because they have far less hospital infrastructure.

How come so many nursing home patients died? Did they not follow protocols that other states instituted after they had so many deaths?

It feels like nobody is paying attention.

More rural states get hit harder, because they have far less hospital infrastructure.

How come so many nursing home patients died? Did they not follow protocols that other states instituted after they had so many deaths?

They are paying attention, just to the wrong person.

i disagree in a sense. They think they are insulated and "it cant happen here" because well, Trump said so.

Again, these people get their info from a very narrow slice of media. IF they are consistently hearing that things are not nearly as bad on a hourly basis, chances are they are going to formulate an opinion and go about life as if this isnt really a dire situation.

There is no better metaphor for ALL of this than "ignorance is bliss". Seriously.

As anyone with a rudimentary concept of mathematics can see, the cases are up a (about 4 times the rate of before, i.e. 400%) while testing is only up about 50%, depending on when you look. It's that a higher percentage of people are positive.

1603817352544.png

1603817383162.png

1603817408651.png

1603817424633.png

People hear 1% and they don’t think that is much.

I tell my kids- it’s like putting you hand in a fishbowl filled with 99 white ping pong balls and 1 red. If you pull the red one they shoot you in the head. And you do it every day you leave the house. Does that sound like a deal you want to just take with no upside at all?

Now be over 60 and they add about 6 red balls

Stimulus is back on the shelf, again... 'after the election' per Trump. Markets will pull back, especially Travel, Financial, etc.

If Trump loses, Mitch won’t do one at all, IMO. He doesn’t care about anything except “winning” and he will want to hurt the incoming president as much as he can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom