1776 Report - Advisory commission outrages historians. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    The report is here.

They make an ok argument about some things, but man, "progressivism is evil" might as well be their headline there. I read some of this, not all of it.

WaPo article (I realize not everyone has a subscription).

Historians responded with dismay and anger Monday after the White House’s “1776 Commission” released a report that it said would help Americans better understand the nation’s history by “restoring patriotic education.”

“It’s a hack job. It’s not a work of history,” American Historical Association executive director James Grossman told The Washington Post. “It’s a work of contentious politics designed to stoke culture wars.”
    The commission was created in September with a confusing news conference featuring Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson. The 45-page report is largely an attack on decades of historical scholarship, particularly when it comes to the nation’s 400-year-old legacy of slavery, and most of those listed as authors lack any credentials as historians. While claiming to present a nonpartisan history, it compares progressivism to fascism and claims the civil rights movement devolved into “preferential” identity politics “not unlike those advanced by [slavery defender John C.] Calhoun and his followers.”

The report is here.

They make an ok argument about some things, but man, "progressivism is evil" might as well be their headline there. I read some of this, not all of it.

WaPo article (I realize not everyone has a subscription).

I read it, and it's utter and complete garbage. It isn't terrible from a facts perspective, but it's laced with racist political propaganda and the worst inclinations of Trumpism. It's a subtle love letter to the White Nationalism and grievance populism that has fueled Trump's rise.

I'm going to print a few copies for when I'm out of toilet paper and don't feel like running to the store.

I didn't read it yet, but I definitely do plan too. I did read the '1619 Project' and I am curious on how they stack up to each other for those that did read both?

I didn't read it yet, but I definitely do plan too. I did read the '1619 Project' and I am curious on how they stack up to each other for those that did read both?
    I haven't read the 1619 project, but that one wasn't commissioned by the US government. That was by someone from the NY Times.

The little blurb I've read shows that a lot of people criticized that one too.

Welcome back. But this was the one topic to bring out you of slumber?

While I don't agree with all the assertions of 1619, it was a much more exhaustive and nuanced project. It gave much more in-depth perspectives (it's more than 3 times as long).

With the exception of its seeming disdain for what it calls the brutality of Capitalism, it stays away from ideological judgments where-as 1776 rails against Communism, progressivism, the Civil Rights movement, identity politics, and every other far-right boogeyman.

There were a lot more authors involved in 1619. Most of them were historians. The lack of "hands" involved in 1776 shows. It's basically a one-man ideological hatchet job.

I am looking forward to reading it. You all had me at 'alt-right', right in my wheelhouse.

That thing is... something.

It's not even apples to oranges compared to 1619, even if you didn't like the 1619 project. The latter was - as SBTB pointed out - so much more diverse. It's scope was more complex. It included articles on things that happened 400 years ago but also things like traffic jams in metropolitan areas. Its purpose was to see history as it situated in our lived, every day experience. It was not history, so much as it was genealogy (to borrow from Foucault).

This 1776 read like turning over Dear Penthouse to a white supremacist, but make it, you know, about American History.

Oof.

Matt Walsh is a plague on social media and he's scrambling for relevance and clicks, both of which have decreased significantly in a short period of time.

ANyway, one of the 'followings' he has is among home schooling parents and families.

His wife - Alissa (a store brand Ann Coulter) - does all the teaching at the house. And she tweeted about how she made their kids listen to a Rush Limbaugh podcast as part of learning about the Supreme Court.

That is the *exact* demographic for this pablum.

"If you use Rush Limbaugh to teach US History, you're gonna LOVE the 1776 Report"

What a tire fire.

That thing is... something.

It's not even apples to oranges compared to 1619, even if you didn't like the 1619 project. The latter was - as SBTB pointed out - so much more diverse. It's scope was more complex. It included articles on things that happened 400 years ago but also things like traffic jams in metropolitan areas. Its purpose was to see history as it situated in our lived, every day experience. It was not history, so much as it was genealogy (to borrow from Foucault).

This 1776 read like turning over Dear Penthouse to a white supremacist, but make it, you know, about American History.

Oof.

Matt Walsh is a plague on social media and he's scrambling for relevance and clicks, both of which have decreased significantly in a short period of time.

ANyway, one of the 'followings' he has is among home schooling parents and families.

His wife - Alissa (a store brand Ann Coulter) - does all the teaching at the house. And she tweeted about how she made their kids listen to a Rush Limbaugh podcast as part of learning about the Supreme Court.

That is the *exact* demographic for this pablum.

"If you use Rush Limbaugh to teach US History, you're gonna LOVE the 1776 Report"

What a tire fire.
    Sounds like Walsh and his 'following' needs a good 'reeducation' and 'liberation' from those those different....I mean 'racist' and 'white supremist' thoughts.

I wonder if the camps Harris and Biden are setting up for us is BYOB or will the alcohol be provided? I would also like to put in a request for my bunk to be close to the bathroom because my middle of the night bathroom trips are far more frequent the older I get.

Sounds like Walsh and his 'following' needs a good 'reeducation' and 'liberation' from those those different....I mean 'racist' and 'white supremist' thoughts.

I wonder if the camps Harris and Biden are setting up for us is BYOB or will the alcohol be provided? I would also like to put in a request for my bunk to be close to the bathroom because my middle of the night bathroom trips are far more frequent the older I get.

Hey man the Qanon boards are that way.

To put it a different way. Do you have any intention of serious discussion or be taken seriously?

You have seemingly been hiding for 2 months and this is all you have to offer?

Yup, conservatives are persecuted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom