White Supremacists Propaganda Is On The Rise (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

First Time Poster

Reaction score

So the ADL's Center of Extremism is tracking a dramatic (double, in most cases) rise in white supremacists propaganda being promulgated in the US.

The 2019 data shows an increase of incidents both on and off campus, with a total of 2,713 cases reported (averaging more than seven incidents per day), compared to 1,214 in 2018 – a doubling in activity year over year. This is the highest number of propaganda incidents ADL has ever recorded.

It seems they are deliberately targetting US campuses.

Approximately one-fourth (630) of the total (2,711) white supremacist propaganda incidents in 2019 took place on campus – nearly double the 320 campus incidents counted in 2018. The 2019 propaganda efforts targeted 433 different campuses in 43 states and the District of Columbia. An overwhelming majority of the campuses (90 percent) were targeted only once or twice, which suggests that despite their increased efforts, white supremacists seem to have failed to gain a sustained foothold on campus.

Klan events are down.

America’s Klan movement continued its decline in 2019. The combined efforts of seven different Klan groups resulted in only 53 propaganda distributions – a significant drop from the 102 incidents in 2018 and well off the Klan’s five-year average of 82.

Public opposition is possibly a deterrence.

ADL documented 20 percent fewer white supremacist events in 2019 than 2018, down from 95 to 76 events.

White supremacists continued to rely heavily on so-called flash demonstrations, preferring not to risk the exposure of pre-publicized events.

2019 saw very few pre-announced white supremacist events, rallies or protests, and those that did occur suffered from dismal attendance and were met with heavy opposition.

The messaging and tactics have become less overtly racists yet more insidious because it delivers the message using seemingly innocuous themes like patriotism or nationalism.

These and other white-supremacist groups largely favor veiled hate over explicitly racist language, and some, such as the Patriot Front, lean heavily on “patriotic” imagery, incorporating American flags or red, white and blue color schemes. They all tend to use toned-down language about how “diversity destroys nations” and the need to take pride in “Western” culture.

This is purposeful; it gives white supremacists an opening to a population of curious young people who would most likely be turned off by explicit neo-Nazi rhetoric or overtly racist language.

"The barrage of propaganda, which overwhelmingly features veiled white supremacist language with a patriotic slant, is an effort to normalise white supremacists' message and bolster recruitment efforts while targeting minority groups including Jews, Blacks, Muslims, non-white immigrants and the LGBTQ community," the statement added.

Center on Extremism Director Oren Segal told the Associated Press that the groups are making an effort to emphasise "patriotism" in an attempt "to make their hate more palatable for a 2020 audience".

Community takes notice; on alert.

The New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness (NJOHSP) increased the threat level of white supremacist extremists from moderate to high, according to a report released by the state agency Friday.

The change comes amid increased rates of crimes linked to white supremacist groups, such as a New Jersey man who allegedly conspired with members of a neo-Nazi network to vandalize synagogues in the Midwest.

"The threat from white supremacist extremists is also high due to the number of threats, plots, and attacks in 2019," the report read. "In 2020, white supremacist extremists are likely to cite accelerationism as a motivation for future violent acts, and recruitment efforts promoting extremist ideology continue throughout the State."

My take: Obviously, this is troubling, especially for members of such targeted groups. Not included or linked to, in this post, is the alarming rate at which white supremacists have infiltrated law enforcement and its evidenced by their public assertions on social media and the like. Their messages are finding homes and we need to vigilant in discovering why so we can properly combat. Now, with the "why", President Trump is the obvious low-hanging fruit. And, while I think there is legitimate conversation to be had about any atmospheric influence his Administration has had in this issue ( https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ller-white-nationalist-trump-immigration-guru) I also believe focusing on him, or even solely blaming him, is missing the forest for the tree. This is a centuries old issue that seems to be undying in our culture. I think this is more of a reflection of us then Trump.

Thoughts?

Some well-meaning persons end up inadvertently parroting white supremacist and white nationalist rhetoric thinking they are simply defending/promoting patriotism or some innocuous form of nationalism.
    And some well-meaning persons end up attacking genuinely patriotic people, incorrectly labeling them as white supremacists and white nationalists.
    This alienates those so accused and does more harm than good.
    It reaches a point where no matter what anybody says, they get labeled as "racists" or "Nazis" or worse, if there is a worse.
    In the age of Political Correctness, this has become endemic and it's a huge turnoff to me.

Last edited:
    I am admittedly naive about these things - what is loaded about "system QB"?
    I understand that some people call a black QB a "running QB" no matter what, but I never knew there were some racist connotations to "system QB" or "Game Manager"
    Again, FTP was just using ‘system qb’ as an example of a well meaning phrase that carries negative connotations (but not racial in this instance)
    SIMILAR in the way there are some well intentioned comments about patriotism that carry nationalist connotations

Again, FTP was just using ‘system qb’ as an example of a well meaning phrase that carries negative connotations (but not racial in this instance)
    SIMILAR in the way there are some well intentioned comments about patriotism that carry nationalist connotations
    I get that. I am asking what is [potentially] racially charged or loaded about "game manager" or "system QB"

Just genuinely interested in that. Is it case where there is a feeling that only white QBs are described that way?

[EDIT] OH, I think I may get it now. Sometimes it takes me a while

Am I right in saying there is nothing racially charged about "Game manager"? It is just that "game manager" is loaded in the sense that it can be a backhanded compliment in a sense. Or even an outright criticism in some instances?

And some well-meaning persons end up attacking genuinely patriotic people, incorrectly labeling them as white supremacists and white nationalists.
    This alienates those so accused and
    I get that. I am asking what is [potentially] racially charged or loaded about "game manager" or "system QB"

Just genuinely interested in that. Is it case where there is a feeling that only white QBs are described that way?

[EDIT] OH, I think I may get it now. Sometimes it takes me a while

Am I right in saying there is nothing racially charged about "Game manager"? It is just that "game manager" is loaded in the sense that it can be a backhanded compliment in a sense. Or even an outright criticism in some instances?
    correct in the last sentence - nothing racial about "game manager"
    now if we want to talk about "lunch pail player"... (kidding, we don't want to do that)

This alienates those so accused and does more harm than good.
    It reaches a point where matter what anybody says, they get labeled as "racists" or "Nazis" or worse, if there is a worse.
    In the age of Political Correctness, this has become endemic and it's a huge turnoff to me.
    now we're getting into the arena of 'false rape claims are as bad as rape'
    actual racist language/action is, at a minimum, 37.5% worse than made up PC umbrage

it would also be interesting to hear your distinction between patriotism and nationalism (in this thread, not in the word of the day thing)

The age of political correctness ended a few years back. I haven't seen any political correctness in some time. We could actually probably use some, it tends to prevent conflicts and misunderstandings when it doesn't go overboard.

I know with that qualification you'll now give me a list a mile long of all the times you feel it's gone overboard, but I nonetheless feel it's the best way to look at political correctness. It's good when is implemented in a way to help prevent cultural ignorance and foster mutual respect. It's bad when it prevents frank and honest discussions from taking place.

The age of political correctness ended a few years back. I haven't seen any political correctness in some time. We could actually probably use some, it tends to prevent conflicts and misunderstandings when it doesn't go overboard.

I know with that qualification you'll now give me a list a mile long of all the times you feel it's gone overboard, but I nonetheless feel it's the best way to look at political correctness. It's good when is implemented in a way to help prevent cultural ignorance and foster mutual respect. It's bad when it prevents frank and honest discussions from taking place.
    you know what else i also don't hear/see a lot of that was the rage a few years ago? doomsday preppers
    not sure what's changed in the last few years, but it used to be fairly easy to stumble over prepper stories - and now? not so much

So since it has been brought up, what about the camps Obama was setting up? Alex Jones had assured me we were going to be round up and put in these camps that he had video of them being built.

So what happened? Did those projects just cease when he left office? Are they still there? Like a ghost town? Why haven’t they been brought up again? I mean like never again. It’s like it never happened, or something

it would also be interesting to hear your distinction between patriotism and nationalism (in this thread, not in the word of the day thing)
    It's in the eye of the beholder. They can mean exactly the same thing or exactly the opposite.
    Hypothetically speaking, for an old retired solder, they're practically indistinguishable, though.

Political correctness has not gone away. If anything it's morphed and expanded into new territories.

It's refreshing to see an admission that it's bad when it prevents frank and honest discussions from taking place, though.

So since it has been brought up, what about the camps Obama was setting up? Alex Jones had assured me we were going to be round up and put in these camps that he had video of them being built.

So what happened? Did those projects just cease when he left office? Are they still there? Like a ghost town? Why haven’t they been brought up again? I mean like never again. It’s like it never happened, or something

The frogs became gay

It's in the eye of the beholder. They can mean exactly the same thing or exactly the opposite.
    Hypothetically speaking, for an old retired solder, they're practically indistinguishable, though.
    same question but with 'white nationalist' - since in your earlier "PC' thing you were making the distinction of the 'well meaning...'
    what is a nationalist as distinct from a 'white nationalist'
    and i'm hoping for a pro-nationalism explanation than an anti-white nationalism explanation)

I think "game manager" and "system QB" were FTP's examples of loaded phrases in general as opposed to with specific reference to race, but I was admittedly confused by the examples at first because describing QBs is one situation in which we hear racially charged euphemisms all the time.

That said, since JimEverett asked about "game manager" I do have to add that in the past I've often understood it to be a loaded phrase to describe white QBs. At LSU, there were always factions of people who favored Jarrett Lee over Jordan Jefferson, and Matt Flynn over Jamarcus Russell, and people supporting the white QBs would often say things like "all we need is a game manager." In the context of other things I heard people say about Jefferson and Russell, I understood when particular people said "game manager" it meant a white QB who was less physically talented but who was smart, able to run the offense, and wouldn't turn the ball over. So I took it to be the counterpart of all the euphemisms I've heard subtly taking digs at the intelligence of black QBs -- "he's a running QB"; "he can't read the defense very well"; etc.

Addendum:
    I wrote the post above ☝, then before posting I decided to google "game manager 'white' quarterback." One of the first results that came up is a tigerdroppings post:

"During SEC media day, Les Miles stated he wanted a "Game Manager". The problem with this is the Quarterbacks that LSU has recruited have been Athletes. When I think of game managers I think of Matt Flynn. He managed the game, didn't turnover the ball and got the ball to the receivers. This is not Jennings or Harris' type of offense. Jennings is a read option QB and Harris is a spread QB. I believe LSU needs to recruit QB's like Flynn, Etling, or the one I felt that got away Rettig. I hope in the future LSU recruit quarterbacks that fit our system, not the best athlete"

Flynn, Etling, Rettig = white
    Jennings, Harris = black

So to translate that post:
    If Les Miles wants a "game manager," why is he recruiting black QBs (or according to the poster, "athletes" :rolleyes:) instead of white QBs ("managed the game, didn't turn the ball over, not the best athletes")?

I'm not saying every time someone says "game manager" it's racially charged, but it's not hard to read between the lines of that post, which I think is along the lines of what FTP was getting at with how loaded phrasing works.

Last edited:
    same question but with 'white nationalist' - since in your earlier "PC' thing you were making the distinction of the 'well meaning...'
    what is a nationalist as distinct from a 'white nationalist'
    and i'm hoping for a pro-nationalism explanation than an anti-white nationalism explanation)
    Oh, this reminds me of George Carlin . . .
    You can pick your friends.
    You can pick your nose.
    But you should never pick your friend's nose!

You can be white. A Caucasian person.
    You can be a nationalist. A pro-U.S person.
    You can be white and a nationalist. A Caucasian pro-U.S person.
    You can be a white nationalist. A Caucasian who is pro-Caucasian.

That's my mental and verbal, word connotation hoop jumping exercise for the day.

I think "game manager" and "system QB" were FTP's examples of loaded phrases in general as opposed to with specific reference to race, but I was admittedly confused by the examples at first because describing QBs is one situation in which we hear racially charged euphemisms all the time.

That said, since JimEverett asked about "game manager" I do have to add that in the past I've often understood it to be a loaded phrase to describe white QBs. At LSU, there were always factions of people who favored Jarrett Lee over Jordan Jefferson, and Matt Flynn over Jamarcus Russell, and people supporting the white QBs would often say things like "all we need is a game manager." In the context of other things I heard people say about Jefferson and Russell, I understood when particular people said "game manager" it meant a white QB who was less physically talented but who was smart, able to run the offense, and wouldn't turn the ball over. So I took it to be the counterpart of all the euphemisms I've heard subtly taking digs at the intelligence of black QBs -- "he's a running QB"; "he can't read the defense very well"; etc.

Addendum:
    I wrote the post above ☝, then before posting I decided to google "game manager 'white' quarterback." One of the first results that came up is a tigerdroppings post:

"During SEC media day, Les Miles stated he wanted a "Game Manager". The problem with this is the Quarterbacks that LSU has recruited have been Athletes. When I think of game managers I think of Matt Flynn. He managed the game, didn't turnover the ball and got the ball to the receivers. This is not Jennings or Harris' type of offense. Jennings is a read option QB and Harris is a spread QB. I believe LSU needs to recruit QB's like Flynn, Etling, or the one I felt that got away Rettig. I hope in the future LSU recruit quarterbacks that fit our system, not the best athlete"

Flynn, Etling, Rettig = white
    Jennings, Harris = black

So to translate that post:
    If Les Miles wants a "game manager," why is he recruiting black QBs (or according to the poster, "athletes" :rolleyes:) instead of white QBs ("managed the game, didn't turn the ball over, not the best athletes")?

I'm not saying every time someone says "game manager" it's racially charged, but it's not hard to read between the lines of that post, which I think is along the lines of what FTP was getting at with how loaded phrasing works.

I have to say I never really took ‘game manager’ as racial in any way (and I don’t shy away from seeing racial messages) mostly bc there isn’t a distinct counterpoint like there is for ‘athletic’ qbs and ‘pocket passers’

BUT
    I did find it interesting that we had two QBs last year - Teddy & Taysom - who both ran counter to their ‘perceived ‘ traits

Last edited:
    Oh, this reminds me of George Carlin . . .
    You can pick your friends.
    You can pick your nose.
    But you should never pick your friend's nose!

You can be white. A Caucasian person.
    You can be a nationalist. A pro-U.S person.
    You can be white and a nationalist. A Caucasian pro-U.S person.
    You can be a white nationalist. A Caucasian who is pro-Caucasian.

That's my mental and verbal, word connotation hoop jumping exercise for the day.
    You finished before you even started?
    That didn’t address anything

If I'm understanding FTP correctly, it was meant as an analogy to explain why "America, Love it or Leave it" was problematic. He wasn't saying that "System QB" and "Game manager" are racist or have racist meanings, just that they're loaded terms.
    He knew good and well FTP wasn't saying those are racist terms.

Political correctness is over my arse... University of Oklahoma students want to remove the word "Sooner" because someone could get offended.... How screwed up is that?

Seems this website know more about the activities of white supremists than the freaking FBI. It also seem to be the only hate group ever discussed. They MUST be the only ones out there.

I am beginning to feel that according to some of you, if you have a US flag in your front yard your a white supremist.

Political correctness is over my arse... University of Oklahoma students want to remove the word "Sooner" because someone could get offended.... How screwed up is that?

Seems this website know more about the activities of white supremists than the freaking FBI. It also seem to be the only hate group ever discussed. They MUST be the only ones out there.

I am beginning to feel that according to some of you, if you have a US flag in your front yard your a white supremist.
    Out of curiosity was that house purchased with FHA money that was denied to black families?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom