/* */

What the far-right victories in the European Union could say about US elections this year (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    So the far right made some inroads in the EU.

Undoubtedly however, the star on a stunning electoral night was the National Rally party of Marine Le Pen, which dominated the French polls to such an extent that Macron immediately dissolved the national parliament and called for new elections. It was a massive political risk since his party could suffer more losses, hobbling the rest of his presidential term that ends in 2027.

Official results. Keep in mind LePen’s party was expected to win the most votes and came in third.

Yeah, it's not just in the US that polling underestimates democracy supporting candidates and overestimates democracy hating candidates. It's throughout Europe as well.

Official results. Keep in mind LePen’s party was expected to win the most votes and came in third.

Good news, but the slow upward creep/gains by hard right is still concerning:
    In 2017 they won just 8 seats.
    In 2022, it surged to 89 seats.
    In Sunday’s vote, they won 125

Yep, but I think there are a certain percentage of people in any collective who will tend authoritarian. But it won’t ever get above a certain percentage. You have to keep hope alive somehow. 🙂

I think that creep is because the fascists lie to recruit and a false sense of "they can't take over here" creates a complacent societal environment that allows the fascists to spread their lies unchallenged which allows them to recruit more.

I think and hope that England, France and the US have gotten the message loud and clear that it absolutely can happen here and it will if we don't challenge it every day and vote in every election to keep it from happening.

I would add that, imo, there is a real xenophobic strain in France. Much like “Real Americans” here immigrants if France will never be truly French.

This needed to happen in 2016, It’s imperative in this election. Abstaining because “both sides are bad” is an argument meant to suppress left wing enthusiasm. We should vote for the remaining candidate who most closely aligns with our beliefs, to protect the progress we’ve made and preserve the conditions most compatible with moving forward in the future. We have to be strategic even when it’s disappointing. Politics is a long game.

Last edited:
    This needed to happen in 2016, It’s imperative in this election. Abstaining because “both sides are bad” is an argument meant to suppress left wing enthusiasm. We should vote for the remaining candidate who most closely aligns with our beliefs, to protect the progress we’ve made and preserve the conditions most compatible with moving forward in the future. We have to be strategic even when it’s disappointing. Politics is a long game.

Great thread. I really liked this post from it.

Another voter wrote that Joe Biden could fall asleep in the middle of 5th avenue and we would STILL vote for him.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom