What is "morality" and who determines what is and isn’t moral? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Patrick66

Reaction score
    I believe morality comes from God. I believe that which is moral is that which is pleasing to God and that which is immoral is displeasing to God.

What do you believe?

I abstain from participating in this thread because you cant discuss religious views. And Morality? How do you even discuss that when what is moral or not differ so much from one religion to another and lots of different religious fanatics across all religions insists that only they know what God think is "Right" and are doing everything to force everyone else to follow their beliefs.

So this will be my only post in this thread ;)

I believe morality comes from God. I believe that which is moral is that which is pleasing to God and that which is immoral is displeasing to God.

What do you believe?
    I disagree. Are you a self aware sentient being, or are you a little God droid? This is beside the point that God, the all might supreme being that controls everything is not only unconfirmed, but basically is the fantasy of human beings trying to figure out their place in the reality, and “God” became the easy, simple answer, versus not having a clue.

What makes you, you, is your values. You are saying without God , we would have no morals, except we do have standards. These values come from within based on the circumstances of our existence. You want to attribute these standards to God, but mostly this “god argument” is a mechanism used by humans to control other humans, being the mouthpiece of God, for fun, profit, control, and power.

A strong argument can be made that our morals come from a survival perspective, especially from a reproductive drive, and group health which ensures my health. What is good for the group is good for me. I think as we have advanced from small tribes struggling to survive, we have lost some of this perspective.

If you blindly follow what you perceive as God’s preferences, all that makes you is a good rule follower. Any values or morals you claim to posses, they only count as a matter of free will, not under the threat of punishment. The real measurement would come from what do you do, as a matter of free will? If you act a certain way because you are threatened with burning forever, I’m not impressed. :)

Now as far as not having a clue, I do have spiritual belief feeling which I talked about in this thread:

I do believe have a feeling this life has purpose, and that existence extends beyond this mortal life, just don’t ask for proof. :)

Last edited:
    The One True God, duh!
    You mean the Flying spaghetti monster?
    Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

What do you believe?
    In case you come back (although I doubt you will), or in case anyone else is interested...

Morality comes from society, which is comprised of humans. Societies that didn't have organized religious beliefs have had laws based on "morality."

An easy way to also show this is that god(s) have been around for thousands of years, but morality has changed over time. If morality was from god(s), morals would never change, but it is obvious they have, from slavery, to misogyny, to civil rights, to human rights. As society evolves, so does our morality.

In case you come back (although I doubt you will), or in case anyone else is interested...

Morality comes from society, which is comprised of humans. Societies that didn't have organized religious beliefs have had laws based on "morality."

An easy way to also show this is that god(s) have been around for thousands of years, but morality has changed over time. If morality was from god(s), morals would never change, but it is obvious they have, from slavery, to misogyny, to civil rights, to human rights. As society evolves, so does our morality.
    I would say morality comes from the mind. I suspect before either religion or society humans felt a sense of unease when they broke a code the mind seems to need to function well. It is after all our mind that makes us social animals and it is our morality that allows us to gather and function as a group or tribe.

Last edited:
    Morality is a complex concept. Imo, it derives from development of increasingly large and complex societies that require establishing methods of social control. The inclusion of deity provides cover so to speak that attempts to limit any discussion regarding the nature of social control. God said so therefore further discussion is not only not required it is not allowed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
    Top Bottom