What Happens if Trump loses and Refuses to Concede? (1 Viewer)

If Trump loses and refuses to concede, what do you think would happen on January 20, 2021?

• Trump's staff would eventually talk him out of trying to remain in office

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Trump would ignore his staff and call on his loyal supporters to revolt

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Trump would have to be physically removed from the White House

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Saintamaniac

Rise Sons of the Gold & Purple
    Reaction score
    VP Biden has been making the case and voicing his opinion that his biggest fear is Trump trying to steal the election or losing and refusing to concede. Corey Booker just the other day stated the same and went so far as to say:
    "I would sooner die. And I mean that very seriously, I would sooner die than to see my nation's constitutional tradition of peaceful transfers of power to be vacated by a demagogue who won't humble himself,"

What do you think would happen?

We've all heard the stories of the manuals that the Obama administration officials wrote and supplied to their replacements (that were apparently never even opened). WIll the Trump officials make the same effort?
    Honestly, if Biden wins, he should just use the manuals they made for Trump that were never read and just whip out his pen and get started with the EO's to undue whatever he can that Trump did to erase Obama's policies.

I personally think the bigger concern than what Trump will do (re: not leaving) is whether or not the administration will make a good faith effort to aid the incoming administration.

We've all heard the stories of the manuals that the Obama administration officials wrote and supplied to their replacements (that were apparently never even opened). WIll the Trump officials make the same effort?

I don't think this is much of a concern. As you indicated, they didn't read the manuals nor did they even attempt to actually run government. There would be very little help they could offer so as far as I'm concerned it would be helpful for those who worked for George W and Obama to volunteer to come back and help rebuild government.

Anti-Obama people used to engage in fantasy about Obama refusing to leave or instituting martial law to avoid the ending of his term. I thought those hypotheticals were pretty silly - and I think the same about similar questions about Trump.

I think its possible that Trump may attempt legal challenges if he were to lose the election, but I think the matter would be resolved by the Supreme Court prior to January 20, the constitutional date at which the presidential term ends. If Trump loses that legal challenge, the new president will be sworn in and Trump will no longer have the constitutional legal authority to act as president and commander-in-chief.

So Trump, or any sitting president for that matter, doesn't really get to control whether they remain president. They could try to physically remain in the White House but that doesn't really do much apart from raising an issue with a trespasser in the White House. And he could attempt some kind of constitutional coup with loyalists, but I think, at the end of the day, few will meaningful ability to carry out such a coup would actually agree to it.

I think this is exactly it. If the election is close, which I expect it to be. I expect several weeks of legal challenges, not unlike what we had in 2000. Then if Trump loses after that, I expect him to gripe and complain and say he was cheated, but still leave office peacefully and start some new reality show or something like that and make money on the speaking tour.

I agree. This country will not accept another 4 years of Trump's division by ballot or by force.

If he wins a legally valid election, we're going to have to accept his presidency. There are legal means to oppose his agenda, I'd expect more focus on federalism and strengthening goals at the state level.

I personally think the bigger concern than what Trump will do (re: not leaving) is whether or not the administration will make a good faith effort to aid the incoming administration.

This concern assumes the Trump Administration has anything of value to pass on. I don't think it does, so the good faith or lack thereof of the departing administration doesn't much matter.

Trump has done nothing but divide Americans and inflame tensions at every possible moment since day one. American citizens will not stand for four more years of it.

Trump has shown little regard to law or procedure, why would the populace if they have to deal with four more years of his chicanery.

I couldn't pass the opportunity to bump this thread.

:ROFLMAO:

I resisted the temptation to vote the poll's second option, having the advantage of hindsight. Instead I noted the results as they were on July 12, 2020.

The results when I looked at them before bumping the thread were, 5 votes for the first option, 3 votes for the correct second option, 4 votes for the third option.

There is a related thread that was near by, I didn't bump it. The link to the related thread is here:

https://madaboutpolitics.com/threads/fork-the-mod-who-deleted-my-thread.74335/

Last edited:
    I don’t know why I never responded to that thread. I went back to read it somewhat dreading how much I may have put my foot in my mouth. Lol.

There were several folks who were clearly more alarmed about what Trump would do if he lost, and they deserve credit for being right. The “calmer heads” were not alarmed enough, and I was most likely in that number. The conservatives were way off.

I couldn't pass the opportunity to bump this thread.

I resisted the temptation to vote the poll's second option, having the advantage of hindsight. Instead I noted the results as they were on July 12, 2020.

The results when I looked at them before bumping the thread were, 5 votes for the first option, 3 votes for the correct second option, 4 votes for the third option.

There is a related thread that was near by, I didn't bump it. The link to the related thread is here:

https://madaboutpolitics.com/threads/fork-the-mod-who-deleted-my-thread.74335/

I'm curious as to why your initial reaction was to LOL at the post.

And far too many people will believe 100% of it.
    Yeah and some of them are here at this very moment. Incredible that they believe the BS about election fraud when the majority of the people who have actually been caught were attempting to cheat FOR trump.
    lol this thread is stupid
    Do you still find it stupid or are you one of the true believers?

I'm curious as to why your initial reaction was to LOL at the post.

Gallows humor; grim and ironic humor in a desperate situation.

Your avatar is sort of an expression of that kind of humor. Here's another expression:

This dare devil video is especially appropriate today because today is the 118th anniversary of heaver than air flight.

I don’t know why I never responded to that thread. I went back to read it somewhat dreading how much I may have put my foot in my mouth. Lol.

There were several folks who were clearly more alarmed about what Trump would do if he lost, and they deserve credit for being right. The “calmer heads” were not alarmed enough, and I was most likely in that number. The conservatives were way off.
    Before the fact I wouldn't have thought any of the poll questions were likely to have occurred. I was totally surprised by Jan 6th.

Insofar as the larger outcome I thought Biden would become the President on the proper day, and that did happen the way I expected it to go including Trump not attending the inauguration.

That Kiln guy was just a flash in the pan troll, but what ever happened to @JimEverett?
    I didn't know Jim but when you linked to him I looked at his last few days of posting. He didn't have a thrash going on with anyone. My guess would be the election outcome sent him into a state of depression that caused him to withdraw into his home space and not ever return.

Booker, I noticed you're from Colorado.

I grew up there. While I was still there I went to college in Boulder, and then Ft Collins, went to high school in Cortez. I left the state in the mid 80's.

I didn't know Jim but when you linked to him I looked at his last few days of posting. He didn't have a thrash going on with anyone. My guess would be the election outcome sent him into a state of depression that caused him to withdraw into his home space and not ever return.

Booker, I noticed you're from Colorado.

I grew up there. While I was still there I went to college in Boulder, and then Ft Collins, went to high school in Cortez. I left the state in the mid 80's.

I think he was tired of being wrong about every single thing since at least 2005.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom