What are your important issues? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    Forget the current headlines. Forget the manufactured talking points. What are the big issues you care about? Or the small ones that don't get enough attention?

I'm just going to rattle off a few. I may dig into these more later. In no special order...

1. Infrastructure investment. The major categories being road transportation, flood protection / drainage, electrical grid resiliency, and better mass transit, especially rail. Our rail systems, outside of a few areas like Chicago, NYC, DC.. are just awful. They don't serve enough of the areas. They aren't tying the Suburbs, and towns nearby to the major city centers and major concentrations of Industry.
      1. A - I'd have much preferred no tax cut for the wealthy, and use that money towards Infrastructure. I don't mind some of the corporate tax cuts (not a fan of profitable companies finding ways to pay $0 in taxes.. that's unfair), but take a little back to go towards infrastructure and mass transit, which will boost productivity and lower congestion in major cities.
    2. Wage growth. Not just min wage, all wages. Not sure what the government policy could be to drive this, but it's a huge pet issue for me.
    3. Technology. Finding the balance between a company being large enough to have stability/security (think Apple, Microsoft, Samsung) to have things work well, but no so large as to stifle all competition and drive up prices. Also, who controls/owns our data. If my data is so valuable, why can't I be compensated for it?
    4. Education funding. It's ridiculous how much the States cut from Colleges and how little they controlled their growth since the 1990's. That's why tuition is out of control. So, it's not just the funding issue, but also the lack of forcing public Universities to cap operating budget increases. In college, tuition increases was probably one of the biggest things I tried to fight against when in Student Government. We usually failed, but I did get one win on that topic, when I realized the committee that year was being somewhat dishonest about the increases, and called them out in public about it.

I care about a lot of other things, but I'm going to stop with these four.

Hmmm.... well, the problems I see right now are:

1. Equality of opportunity
    2. Balance of power
    3. Environmental concerns
    4. Debt vs. long-term investment (ie infrastructure)
    5. Commitment to democratic institutions

For me, there is only one issue that encompasses all others.

The rights of the individual as enshrined in the Constitution.

Do you imply businesses have civil liberties as well?
    bc I don’t understand if not
    Do I think businesses have rights?
    Of course. Do you not?
    But when I say I care about civil liberties I am not just talking about businesses.

Last edited:
    By my definition, none. If it infringes upon the rights of another, it is a privilege accorded to one at the expense of another.

I agree with you. Laws that confer a right to one group but deny that same right to others (for the most part) are worth fighting against.

By my definition, none. If it infringes upon the rights of another, it is a privilege accorded to one at the expense of another.
    Can you list some specific examples of what you think are rights and what are just privileges because they infringe on other people's rights?

Last edited:
    Then a fetus has more rights than the woman which would invalidate the fetuses ‘rights’ by Archie’s ghost metric

Tell that to the 332k babies aborted by planned parenthood in 2018. (That’s only planned parenthood hood in the US). Abortion is the number 1 cause of death in the US and worldwide.

Only some people don’t consider it a death because the baby is in the womb. I can’t wrap my mind around this concept.

Tell that to the 332k babies aborted by planned parenthood in 2018. (That’s only planned parenthood hood in the US). Abortion is the number 1 cause of death in the US and worldwide.

Only some people don’t consider it a death because the baby is in the womb. I can’t wrap my mind around this concept.
    Seemingly it’s bc you struggle to give the woman full rights
    If you were able to see that a woman has rights to her body, you’d probably be able to wrap your mind around the concept

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom