Truth Cops: Leaked Documents Outline DHS Plan To Police Disinformation (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score

THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

“Platforms have got to get comfortable with gov’t. It’s really interesting how hesitant they remain,” Microsoft executive Matt Masterson, a former DHS official, texted Jen Easterly, a DHS director, in February.

In a March meeting, Laura Dehmlow, an FBI official, warned that the threat of subversive information on social media could undermine support for the U.S. government. Dehmlow, according to notes of the discussion attended by senior executives from Twitter and JPMorgan Chase, stressed that “we need a media infrastructure that is held accountable.”

Key Takeaways
    • Though DHS shuttered its controversial Disinformation Governance Board, a strategic document reveals the underlying work is ongoing.
    • DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”
    • Facebook created a special portal for DHS and government partners to report disinformation directly.

-The work is primarily done by CISA, a DHS sub-agency tasked with protecting critical national infrastructure.

-DHS, the FBI, and several media entities are having biweekly meetings as recently as August.
    DHS considered countering disinformation relating to content that undermines trust in financial systems and courts.

-The FBI agent who primed social media platforms to take down the Hunter Biden laptop story continued to have a role in DHS policy discussions.

...In retrospect, the New York Post reporting on the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop ahead of the 2020 election provides an elucidating case study of how this works in an increasingly partisan environment.

Much of the public ignored the reporting or assumed it was false, as over 50 former intelligence officials charged that the laptop story was a creation of a “Russian disinformation” campaign. The mainstream media was primed by allegations of election interference in 2016 — and, to be sure, Trump did attempt to use the laptop to disrupt the Biden campaign. Twitter ended up banning links to the New York Post’s report on the contents of the laptop during the crucial weeks leading up to the election. Facebook also throttled users’ ability to view the story.

In recent months, a clearer picture of the government’s influence has emerged.

In an appearance on Joe Rogan’s podcast in August, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed that Facebook had limited sharing of the New York Post’s reporting after a conversation with the FBI. “The background here is that the FBI came to us — some folks on our team — and was like, ‘Hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert that there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election,’” Zuckerberg told Rogan. The FBI told them, Zuckerberg said, that “‘We have it on notice that basically there’s about to be some kind of dump.’” When the Post’s story came out in October 2020, Facebook thought it “fit that pattern” the FBI had told them to look out for.

Zuckerberg said he regretted the decision, as did Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter at the time. Despite claims that the laptop’s contents were forged, the Washington Post confirmed that at least some of the emails on the laptop were authentic. The New York Times authenticated emails from the laptop — many of which were cited in the original New York Post reporting from October 2020 — that prosecutors have examined as part of the Justice Department’s probe into whether the president’s son violated the law on a range of issues, including money laundering, tax-related offenses, and foreign lobbying registration.

Documents filed in federal court as part of a lawsuit by the attorneys general of Missouri and Louisiana add a layer of new detail to Zuckerberg’s anecdote, revealing that officials leading the push to expand the government’s reach into disinformation also played a quiet role in shaping the decisions of social media giants around the New York Post story.

Nobody has lost their ability to speak out, that is patently false.

why are you dragging poor Fredrick Douglass into this? He would abhor what you stand for.

You don't stand for freedom of speech - you don't even understand it - which is on display for all to see, over and over, on this board.

Oh and Trump's a rapist found liable by 12 of his peers. And he is broke and can't work in NY any more. If he doesn't win the election he will be convicted, and will be on house arrest - hopefully his heart gives out on him and he joins his buddy Rush.

His only hope of not being convicted by every day Americans is to convince enough smooth brained, mouth breathers that selling out their country is worth getting back at those who are happy in their lives.

Bitter and Deplorarble are the perfect terms for you all. That is why you got all in your feels when they were lobbed at you. The truth hurts.

Liars don’t like it when they get pushback on their lies. So they attack the people who want to expose their lies, and claim to be victims. You are supporting liars who are trying to destroy America.

Liars don’t like it when they get pushback on their lies. So they attack the people who want to expose their lies, and claim to be victims. You are supporting liars who are trying to destroy America.
    You support authoritarianism. Biden should change the party name from Democrats to Authoritarians. Why don't you like the 1st ammendment?

Speaking of disinformation 😆

It’s impossible to take you seriously when you obviously don’t know what authoritarianism is and cannot intelligently discuss it. You have never answered any of my questions over the past several days. You’re adding nothing of substance here.

It’s impossible to take you seriously when you obviously don’t know what authoritarianism is and cannot intelligently discuss it. You have never answered any of my questions over the past several days. You’re adding nothing of substance here.
    -You support censorship under the guise of stopping misinformation

-You claim people aren't journalists if you disagree with them politically

-You liked that a journalist was charged for covering January 6th and thought he got off easy

-You supported the Biden vaccine mandate(what happened to my body, my choice...it's (D)ifferent)

-You were glad an American was dead who opposed the Ukraine war

-You supported the 51 intelligence officials that claimed Hunter's laptop was Russian disinformation(election interference)

-You support removing Trump from the ballot and Biden trying to put Trump in jail(election interference)

-You didn't think it was important that all January 6th defendants were provided all evidence in discovery

You obviously do support authoritarianism.

-You liked that a journalist was charged for covering January 6th and thought he got off easy

-You supported the Biden vaccine mandate(what happened to my body, my choice...it's (D)ifferent)

-You supported the 51 intelligence officials that claimed Hunter's laptop was Russian disinformation(election interference)

-You support removing Trump from the ballot and Biden trying to put Trump in jail(election interference)

-You didn't think it was important that all January 6th defendants were provided all evidence in discovery

Sigh. Go look at Republican candidates and elected officials from around the country including Drumpf and get back to me.

You haven’t explained what is authoritarianism, all you have done is - once again - lie about me. And most of what you say is actually not true.

1. I don’t support censorship. You claim things are censorship that are clearly not. You need to quit saying things about me that aren’t true. And you need to learn what censorship truly is.

2. Once again, this is a lie. I never said your guy wasn’t a journalist, I said he clearly wasn’t acting as a journalist at the Capitol. Are you saying that taunting police and refusing to comply with police orders are the actions of a journalist? Does saying you are a journalist give you the license to trespass? Or to threaten elected officials with hanging? It doesn’t matter what his political beliefs are, taunting police in a violent setting and refusing to comply with police orders will catch you a disorderly conduct misdemeanor.

3. Yes, I supported the vaccine mandate for the military. So? How is that authoritarian? (Other than the military, every other place had exceptions).

4. Hunter’s laptop files were a Russian disinformation operation. And anyway, how is acknowledging that authoritarian?

5. I support removing Trump from the ballot because the Constitution calls for that. SCOTUS didn’t have the courage to follow the Constitution. Trump absolutely tried to stay in power after he was defeated in a free and fair election. He betrayed his oath of office and should be DQ’d. Biden isn’t trying to put Trump in jail - Trump is trying to go to jail because of his own actions. He has committed numerous crimes, and should face the consequences as should any citizen. He gets all the rights and protections of any other accused citizen. How is this authoritarian?

6. I have no idea what you’re talking about with this one. But I generally support our system of law and order and our system of government. So if something was done incorrectly, then I support it being fixed. Once again - how is this authoritarian?

7. I skipped one - the most stupid one of all. I wasn’t glad the guy was dead because he supported Russia’s genocide of Ukraine, although that is horrible. I was glad because he’s a miserable misogynist who hates all women. When I see someone like that is gone, I’m glad. Again, how is this authoritarian?

You don’t know what is really authoritarian and what is not. And you continue to lie about me, what I say and what I believe. Just ignore me, it will be easier for you.

SFL: I will help you out, since you seem to be struggling with what is actually authoritarianism, and what is being held accountable for crimes and lies.

This is authoritarianism. fork Putin.

wow your source lead by Stephen miller no less? you pick the best sources.
    America First Legal Foundation is a right-of-center nonprofit organization formed by former senior Trump White House advisor Stephen Miller and counselor to the Attorney General Gene Hamilton in February 2021. It aims to use litigation to oppose left-of-center policies enacted by the Biden administration. 1

The board is made up of former Trump administration officials including White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and former Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker.
    The America First Legal Foundation was launched by Stephen Miller, a White House senior advisor to President Donald Trump. Trump endorsed the organization upon its launch in April 2021. 3

The America First Legal Foundation has the goal of challenging Biden administration policies in court. 4 The foundation announced plans to work with state attorneys general to litigate cases against the Biden administration’s policies. 5

wow your source lead by Stephen miller no less? you pick the best sources.
    America First Legal Foundation is a right-of-center nonprofit organization formed by former senior Trump White House advisor Stephen Miller and counselor to the Attorney General Gene Hamilton in February 2021. It aims to use litigation to oppose left-of-center policies enacted by the Biden administration. 1

The board is made up of former Trump administration officials including White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and former Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker.
    The America First Legal Foundation was launched by Stephen Miller, a White House senior advisor to President Donald Trump. Trump endorsed the organization upon its launch in April 2021. 3

The America First Legal Foundation has the goal of challenging Biden administration policies in court. 4 The foundation announced plans to work with state attorneys general to litigate cases against the Biden administration’s policies. 5
    Yeah, Miller is a real piece of work.

it’s an organization of future felons. People who have betrayed their country. So of course SFL loves them.

Did you read the article? Can you explain in your own words what the issue is here?

Also, this really has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. It belongs in its own thread or in another thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom