Trump's Axios interview (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    Jonathan Swan does a great job of being kind and respectful to Trump, but holding him accountability and asking simple followups.. "how", "why", "what books?"

Trump has a well documented mannerism of talking in non-specific ways. It's mostly meaningless fluff. It (this interview) does two good things. 1. It allows Trump to explain what he means. I'm ok with that, because I want to know what he really means. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt on an issue or two. I don't want to "think he means this", I want him to say it. and 2, it sheds light on his total bull, without being confrontational. It shows the clear lies.

"When I took over, we didn't even have a test"

Why would you have a test for something that didn't exist yet?"

But there was a part where he clearly got tired of it (when talking statistics, and ignoring the 1000 deaths a day.) I can't stop laughing at that. But for those that will get riled up by this, it's a pretty good interview. I think he's asking fair questions without going over the top for cheap hits. (to be fair, I'm not quite all the way through it)

1596591584920.png

Last edited:
    How do you listen to his voice and speech pattern without becoming violently angry?

It's like when the teacher would wake the stupid kid with a question and he would try to B.S. his way through despite having no idea about what's going on.

I haven't been able to watch this one. Is he playing with his invisible accordion?

How do you listen to his voice and speech pattern without becoming violently angry?

It's like when the teacher would wake the stupid kid with a question and he would try to B.S. his way through despite having no idea about what's going on.

I haven't been able to watch this one. Is he playing with his invisible accordion?
    Yeah I might wait for the Sarah Cooper remix

Yesterdays presser when asked about Beruit explosion he called it a "bomb". When asked what made him call it a bomb, he said he spoke to his "Generals". He does this all the time, yet no one ever says ( like Shaw - What books?) "What/which generals?? can you tell us which general you spoke with that said this is a bomb?"

( which btw, this morning, Pentagon officials are baffled at his use of the word Bomb as they cant figure out why he said that )

Anyway, id REALLY like to hear what SaintforLife or Farb have to say on the subject of COVID and testing portion of the interview. He consistently says you must take deaths as it relates to cases, not per capita. Yet, doesnt even realize that if you slow testing down, that ratio CLIMBS. He is so disconnected and unskilled, that he doesnt even grasp the concept of ratios.

I'm watching him play his accordion right now.

Did I hear right that Afghanistan bankrupted the Soviet Union and that forced them to change their name to Russia?

I'm watching him play his accordion right now.

Did I hear right that Afghanistan bankrupted the Soviet Union and that forced them to change their name to Russia?
    It doesn't matter. His supporters will believe it. It helps that they don't have any shame because I would imagine it would be hard to be a proud supporter of a lying imbecile.

Yesterdays presser when asked about Beruit explosion he called it a "bomb". When asked what made him call it a bomb, he said he spoke to his "Generals". He does this all the time, yet no one ever says ( like Shaw - What books?) "What/which generals?? can you tell us which general you spoke with that said this is a bomb?"

( which btw, this morning, Pentagon officials are baffled at his use of the word Bomb as they cant figure out why he said that )

Anyway, id REALLY like to hear what SaintforLife or Farb have to say on the subject of COVID and testing portion of the interview. He consistently says you must take deaths as it relates to cases, not per capita. Yet, doesnt even realize that if you slow testing down, that ratio CLIMBS. He is so disconnected and unskilled, that he doesnt even grasp the concept of ratios.
    He doesn’t need to get it right, he just need to make a sound his supporters can parrot

He was treated reasonably and I think the reasonable demeanor unsettled Trump more than if he was disrespectful or combative. It also served to make him look more unprofessional, unprepared, and unhinged.

It was a step more disturbing than the Wallace interview. An extended sit down, rather than a press briefing that allows him to cut off reporters or go to someone else or walk away, works against him mightily. I think both Wallace and Swan did a good job, but I think it is also - in part - just a reporter doing his job of not letting Trump get away with non-answers and evasions and nonsensical claims - which he still tried doing, repeatedly.

It was a total mess. Beginning to end.

And there's been no real defense of it that I've seen on social media by conservative pundits. Nobody wants to touch it. The only thing I have seen, really, is "Well, it's HBO so nobody is going to see it."

That's not exactly a robust defense. And that's telling, because his operatives and defenders have done nothing but excuse and defend the indefensible for his entire administration. The fact they can't here is noteworthy

I’ve not seen the entire thing from beginning to end, but have seen extended clips of some segments and looked a little bit at a transcript of other parts.

I am just not sure how anyone who sees that part with the graphs (where he is trying to paint the US response to Covid as some sort of success) can come to any other conclusion except that he’s not mentally fit for his job.

We simply cannot afford to reward this level of incompetence at the ballot box.

Demanding credit for coming up with a test because there wasn't one when he took over... is pretty peak for this interview:

President Donald J. Trump: (12:11)
    Jonathan, we didn’t even have a test. When I took over, we didn’t even have a test. Now, in all fairness-

Jonathan Swan: (12:17)
    Why would you have a test?

President Donald J. Trump: (12:21)
    There was no test for this-

Jonathan Swan: (12:23)
    The virus didn’t exist.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:23)
    Excuse me. I was going to say-

Jonathan Swan: (12:23)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:23)
    There was no test for this. We didn’t have a test because there was no test.

Jonathan Swan: (12:26)
    Of course.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:27)
    And, in a very short order, we got one test. We got another test.

Jonathan Swan: (12:30)
    It was broken, the first one.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:31)
    We got another. Many of those tests are now obsolete because it’s called science.

the entire transcript, with timestamps is available here: https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-interview-transcript-with-axios-on-hbo

Demanding credit for coming up with a test because there wasn't one when he took over... is pretty peak for this interview:

the entire transcript, with timestamps is available here: https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-interview-transcript-with-axios-on-hbo
    Reading it, after having seen the whole thing already anyway, somehow makes me shake my head even more than I did while watching it. His blathering doesn't translate to the written word well at all. I think it's more evidence that he probably reads at a grammar school level.

I’ve not seen the entire thing from beginning to end, but have seen extended clips of some segments and looked a little bit at a transcript of other parts.

I am just not sure how anyone who sees that part with the graphs (where he is trying to paint the US response to Covid as some sort of success) can come to any other conclusion except that he’s not mentally fit for his job.

We simply cannot afford to reward this level of incompetence at the ballot box.

“We’re lower than Europe!” (shuffling through graphs and then hands to interviewer)

“Take a look. Take a look. Right here.”

(interviewer pauses to look at graph)

“You’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population. That’s where the U.S. is really bad. Much worse than South Korea, Germany, et cetera.”

“You can’t do that.”

“Why can’t I do that?” (Trump's reaction to this reminds me of Nigel in This is Spinal Tap when Rob Reiner asks him why he just doesn't make the "10" setting on his amp louder)

“You have go by…” (flustered, starts shuffling through his graphs again) “You have to go by where– Look, here is the United States– You have to go by the cases of death.” ("But our amps go to 11, you see!")

Imbecile.

“We’re lower than Europe!” (shuffling through graphs and then hands to interviewer)

“Take a look. Take a look. Right here.”

(interviewer pauses to look at graph)

“You’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population. That’s where the U.S. is really bad. Much worse than South Korea, Germany, et cetera.”

“You can’t do that.”

“Why can’t I do that?” (Trump's reaction to this reminds me of Nigel in This is Spinal Tap when Rob Reiner asks him why he just doesn't make the "10" setting on his amp louder)

“You have go by…” (flustered, starts shuffling through his graphs again) “You have to go by where– Look, here is the United States– You have to go by the cases of death.” ("But our amps go to 11, you see!")

Imbecile.

I wish it only went to 11. Unfortunately, our charts currently go to 160,000.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom