/* */

Trump VP selection process begins (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

In his 2016 memoir, Sen. JD Vance wrote in awe of his older sister, who, despite an upbringing filled with trauma, broke the cycle of abandonment and dysfunction that defined their childhood.

“There was something heroic about Lindsay’s marriage — that after everything she’d witnessed, she’d ended up with someone who treated her well and had a decent job,” Vance, now the Republican nominee for vice president, observed in the pages of “Hillbilly Elegy.”

His sister had, in Vance’s words, “built a life almost in opposition to the one she left behind — she would be a good mother, she would have a successful marriage (and only one).” Her husband, he wrote, “never mistreated her,” adding that was “all I ever wanted in a mate for my sister.”

The passage is laden with new meaning now. People close to Vance say his relationships with the women who raised him are key to understanding his worldview on the thorny cultural issues for which he has become known in his first month as Donald Trump’s running mate. He internalized violent episodes and other hard lessons of his youth and idealized the more conventional family dynamics he never knew, forming fiercely held opinions about marriage, children and families that have become the basis of Democrats’ case against him as a national candidate.

Vance, whose comments mocking “childless cat ladies” in politics recently resurfaced, is the son of a single mother who battled drug addiction and, according to his book, once pulled over the car “to beat the s---” out of him. Vance’s rationalization that parents in abusive marriages might do their children additional harm by divorcing is largely informed by his grandparents’ combustible but perseverant marriage.

“Everybody has problems. Everybody has some dysfunction in their family,” Lori Meibers, Vance’s aunt and one of the women who took him in when his mother could not, said in an interview with NBC News. “He’s seen what it’s like to be a kid that struggled.”

“My sister had five husbands, and that’s not to mention the men that were in and out of their lives that she didn’t marry before she got her crap together,” added Meibers, whom Vance refers to as Aunt Wee. “He’s seen that side of life and living.”

Vance, in a recent interview aboard his campaign plane, acknowledged that his upbringing shaped his sharp opinions. He also defended his more provocative comments, describing them as the starting point for a debate about the public policies that can help young families, rather than a “broad-stroke criticism of women,” as Democrats have contended............

The same year, Vance held up his grandparents’ “incredibly chaotic marriage” as an example to younger generations of men shying away from the responsibilities of fatherhood. In “Hillbilly Elegy,” he had written about how his grandmother once soaked his grandfather in gasoline and briefly set him on fire after he returned home from a night of heavy drinking.

“This is one of the great tricks that I think the sexual revolution pulled on the American populace,” Vance said at a forum at Pacifica Christian High School in Newport Beach, California, attacking the idea that couples in marriages that “were maybe even violent, but certainly they were unhappy,” could solve their problems through divorce.

“Maybe it worked out for the moms and dads, though I’m skeptical,” Vance added, “but it really didn’t work out for the kids of those marriages.”............

Following the 2020 George Floyd uprising, J.D. Vance peddled an unhinged conspiracy about Black Lives Matter: Amazon funded the protests to burn down its competition.

On Thursday, the Christian Science Monitor reported that in 2021, Vance attended a conference hosted by right-wing think tank the Claremont Institute, where he claimed that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos funded Black Lives Matter to encourage private property destruction during the protests of summer 2020.

“Who benefits most when small businesses on Main Street are destroyed? Who wants to see their competitors unable to deliver goods and services to people, so that you get it delivered in your brown Amazon box? Jeff Bezos,” he declared.

Vance pushed a conspiracy about “woke capital” and called Bezos “one of the largest funders of the Black Lives Matter movement.”

“Woke capital is when companies and businesses are more invested in a movement like BLM than they are in traditional American principles,” said Vance, pushing the far-right’s favorite diversity, equity, and inclusion conspiracy. “If you peel back the onion, what you find is that the businesses that are most connected and most devoted to destroying our values are also benefiting financially from it.”

Amazon did donate $10 million to a range of social justice organizations about two months after the murder of Floyd, but categorizing the megacompany as “one of the largest funders” of the racial justice movement is pure disinformation...........

Following the 2020 George Floyd uprising, J.D. Vance peddled an unhinged conspiracy about Black Lives Matter: Amazon funded the protests to burn down its competition.

On Thursday, the Christian Science Monitor reported that in 2021, Vance attended a conference hosted by right-wing think tank the Claremont Institute, where he claimed that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos funded Black Lives Matter to encourage private property destruction during the protests of summer 2020.

“Who benefits most when small businesses on Main Street are destroyed? Who wants to see their competitors unable to deliver goods and services to people, so that you get it delivered in your brown Amazon box? Jeff Bezos,” he declared.

Vance pushed a conspiracy about “woke capital” and called Bezos “one of the largest funders of the Black Lives Matter movement.”

“Woke capital is when companies and businesses are more invested in a movement like BLM than they are in traditional American principles,” said Vance, pushing the far-right’s favorite diversity, equity, and inclusion conspiracy. “If you peel back the onion, what you find is that the businesses that are most connected and most devoted to destroying our values are also benefiting financially from it.”

Amazon did donate $10 million to a range of social justice organizations about two months after the murder of Floyd, but categorizing the megacompany as “one of the largest funders” of the racial justice movement is pure disinformation...........

He’s just a RWNJ. The more I hear what comes out of his mouth, the more I think he has unresolved mental issues.

Wow, just wow. That guy is nuts. Flat out loonie tunes.

Just an idiot. Nobel prize-winning economists warn about Trump’s plan and he just dismisses their concerns like it’s nothing.

Vance confusing the terms state and country, and Minneapolis with Minnesota proves he has dementia and is senile. Can't have a person who is senile from dementia as second in line of Trump since Trump isn't fit enough to serve another full term.
    I bet he knows the difference between a couch and a love seat.

Just remember..don’t call them weird.

After Walz pointed out that JD Vance used IVF and now is supporting legislation that would make this more difficult for others…

MAGA has begun walking around with fake cups of Vance’s “seed.”

Just remember..don’t call them weird.

After Walz pointed out that JD Vance used IVF and now is supporting legislation that would make this more difficult for others…

MAGA has begun walking around with fake cups of Vance’s “seed.”

I wonder how many couch pillows they had to...on second thought, nevermind.

A long standing tradition as politicians pass thru PA.

Aaaaaaaaand JD Vance turns weird dial to 11.

I can’t read the story - but some online were saying he said it as a joke, because John Kerry did it back in the day. I don’t know if that is true or not.

Okay - I don’t think the above (what I said) is true. I saw this tweet from the Inquirer:

Last edited:
    It was John Kerry that asked for Swiss cheese.

The headline is exactly correct. He asked why they don’t serve Swiss cheese. It was not a bright move, because it demonstrated he didn’t understand the sandwich. Nobody is lying about anything with Vance because it’s just not necessary. A political operative on Twitter said - he demonstrated ignorance of what the press and people online would do with such a question. He’s not good at campaigning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom