Trump says farewell - will fly to Palm Beach on AF1 tomorrow morning (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

In attempt to be completely objective, I think Trump's presidency will be very complicated in its historical treatment - and it will be mostly negative. In all honesty, Trump's rise to the White House could have meant something more important. From time to time, true outsiders to government can be refreshing and can bring a perspective from outside of Washington that can be, at times, sorely needed. There is a reason why 'drain the swamp' and other idea resonated with voters in 2016.

And once in office, Trump's approaches to revising the corporate tax system and addressing some areas of trade and foreign policy that had taken on such a life of their own that they were sort of on auto-pilot, weren't poorly conceived. These ambitions weren't misplaced.

Of course, the problem for Donald Trump's administration and Donald Trump's legacy was and will always be Donald Trump. Clearly compelled at every turn by his narcissistic personality disorder, Trump was one of the most flawed human beings to serve in the White House for a very long time and among the most flawed ever. As most presidents are, Trump was presented with opportunities to exhibit great leadership but he could not rise to the challenge. His ever-present lens of political self-interest and an utter incapacity to empathize rendered him unable to step onto the stage of true leadership - triggering cascading failure, dissatisfaction, division, and sadly, death. Trump's presidency would have been marred by failure and controversy even without the coronavirus pandemic, but at a time when America needed true leadership talent from the White House, Trump proved what many knew all along: he was a showman, a pitch-man, a charlatan. His desire to avoid a catastrophe by ignoring it only ensured that the catastrophe would bring about his final undoing. And even faced with obvious defeat, Trump's narcissism and self-interest led him to convince thousands of Americans and members of Congress that keeping this man as president was worth undoing the very foundation of America.

And so his last chapter was his most unforgivable, notwithstanding that 400,000 Americans lost their lives to a pandemic that the federal government largely mismanaged under his direction and serving his misplaced objectives. These things cannot be glazed over by any legitimate historical treatment.

I have no doubt that until the day he dies, he will continue to refer to his as the greatest single term in presidential history and he will never concede the election of 2020. For the rest of us who lived it and those who study it in the future, the view will be very, very different.

In attempt to be completely objective, I think Trump's presidency will be very complicated in its historical treatment - and it will be mostly negative. In all honesty, Trump's rise to the White House could have meant something more important. From time to time, true outsiders to government can be refreshing and can bring a perspective from outside of Washington that can be, at times, sorely needed. There is a reason why 'drain the swamp' and other idea resonated with voters in 2016.

And once in office, Trump's approaches to revising the corporate tax system and addressing some areas of trade and foreign policy that had taken on such a life of their own that they were sort of on auto-pilot, weren't poorly conceived. These ambitions weren't misplaced.

Of course, the problem for Donald Trump's administration and Donald Trump's legacy was and will always be Donald Trump. Clearly compelled at every turn by his narcissistic personality disorder, Trump was one of the most flawed human beings to serve in the White House for a very long time and among the most flawed ever. As most presidents are, Trump was presented with opportunities to exhibit great leadership but he could not rise to the challenge. His ever-present lens of political self-interest and an utter incapacity to empathize rendered him unable to step onto the stage of true leadership - triggering cascading failure, dissatisfaction, division, and sadly, death. Trump's presidency would have been marred by failure and controversy even without the coronavirus pandemic, but at a time when America needed true leadership talent from the White House, Trump proved what many knew all along: he was a showman, a pitch-man, a charlatan. His desire to avoid a catastrophe by ignoring it only ensured that the catastrophe would bring about his final undoing. And even faced with obvious defeat, Trump's narcissism and self-interest led him to convince thousands of Americans and members of Congress that keeping this man as president was worth undoing the very foundation of America.

And so his last chapter was his most unforgivable, notwithstanding that 400,000 Americans lost their lives to a pandemic that the federal government largely mismanaged under his direction and serving his misplaced objectives. These things cannot be glazed over by any legitimate historical treatment.

I have no doubt that until the day he dies, he will continue to refer to his as the greatest single term in presidential history and he will never concede the election of 2020. For the rest of us who lived it and those who study it in the future, the view will be very, very different.

Bravo sir.

I wish for trump and his family the same thing that he wished for me and people that look like me. That is the most civil thing I can say about trump as he leaves the White house.

I wish the team tasked with fumigating the White House all the luck. Leave no particle unturned. Nary an atom of the trump stink should remain in the people's house.

I wish for trump and his family the same thing that he wished for me and people that look like me. That is the most civil thing I can say about trump as he leaves the White house.

I wish the team tasked with fumigating the White House all the luck. Leave no particle unturned. Nary an atom of the trump stink should remain in the people's house.

I hear Cardinal Gregory is sending over an exorcist as well.

It would certainly help speed along the party split the Republican Party desperately needs. Let that far far right party split off and maybe allow some centrism back.
    Almost worry not barring him from running for office. Almost.

Where the fork was this guy for 4 years?

That guy isn't trump...that is just trump reading some words that someone who didn't mean those words threw together and put up on a teleprompter....That guy you saw in that video doesn't exist.

And I'm admittedly saying this without hearing a single word of that speech because I don't care about his farewell address.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom