Trump loses tax-return appeal at Second Circuit - will appeal to SCOTUS (UPDATE: Trump also loses on House financial records subpoena challenge) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The essence of the holding is that Trump's proffered 'absolute presidential immunity' is academic at investigation (grand jury) phase.

We should know in 10 days, right? If the SCOTUS will take up the case.

I'm not sure. The regular time frame for writs is 90 days from entry of judgment.

So the 2d Cir. ruled that Trump's request for injunction is denied and remanded the case for further proceedings. Even though the primary legal question has been ruled upon, there are still some moving parts before Mazars complies.

The Second Circuit has also upheld the SDNY's ruling on enforceability of House subpoenas for Trump financial records.

The Second Circuit has also upheld the SDNY's ruling on enforceability of House subpoenas for Trump financial records.

I can't access Twitter at work, so it might be answered in that tweet...but where does this put us now?

I can't access Twitter at work, so it might be answered in that tweet...but where does this put us now?

Just more waiting until we hear from the SC. This is one of the reasons the dems have moved forward with impeachment. If they wait for all of this obstruction to work it's way through the courts, they would never do anything. Which of course if part of Trump's tactics.

Just more waiting until we hear from the SC. This is one of the reasons the dems have moved forward with impeachment. If they wait for all of this obstruction to work it's way through the courts, they would never do anything. Which of course if part of Trump's tactics.
    LOL - using the federal court system is now obstruction.

I don't think that's exactly fair. Of course, moving through the system is slow, and maybe too slow when elections are coming in under a year. But that's the nature of the beast.

Here's a link to the Axios article. It also has the ruling attached.

As of right now, Trump's attorney is just mulling over the next option, the SCOTUS being one. It is the most likely destination, since the other case was appealed to the Supreme Court.

The big picture: Trump is currently engaged in court battles with both House Democrats and the Manhattan district attorney over subpoenas ordering his longtime account firm Mazars USA to turn over his tax returns. He has appealed both cases to the Supreme Court, where the Deutsche Bank and Capital One case is likely to end up as well.

• Trump's arguments that he is protected from criminal prosecution while president and that the House's investigations into his financial dealings "serve no legitimate legislative purpose" have both been struck down by judges and appeals courts.
    • The overarching theme from the judges who have presided over these cases is that Trump's tax returns are a matter of "public interest."

I'll hit the highlights..

1575396401721.png

1575396437725.png

I don't think that's exactly fair.

What part of my response isn't exactly fair? All I'm saying is none of this will be resolved until it reaches the SC, where Trump may have an apparent advantage in the outcome of the ruling due to the courts makeup. He's not going to accept a lower court ruling that goes against his interest. So basically a lot of waiting.

I'm not saying anything improper is happening with the process, but Trump is definitely using the process (and how long it takes) as a strategic delay tactic. Delay, delay, delay until it dies.

What part of my response isn't exactly fair? All I'm saying is none of this will be resolved until it reaches the SC, where Trump may have an apparent advantage in the outcome of the ruling due to the courts makeup. He's not going to accept a lower court ruling that goes against his interest. So basically a lot of waiting.

I'm not saying anything improper is happening with the process, but Trump is definitely using the process (and how long it takes) as a strategic delay tactic. Delay, delay, delay until it dies.

I think Trump genuinely disagrees that these materials should be produced. The arguments aren’t specious - even if they aren’t persuasive.

I think Trump genuinely disagrees that these materials should be produced. The arguments aren’t specious - even if they aren’t persuasive.

I have no doubt that Trump genuinely disagrees with the materials being produced. I just think the reason he doesn't think they should be produced isn't because of a legal argument (not saying others can't make legal arguments with merit). His reasoning basically boils down to that it's not in his self interest to do so and he doesn't think he should have to because he's president.

I have no doubt that Trump genuinely disagrees with the materials being produced. I just think the reason he doesn't think they should be produced isn't because of a legal argument (not saying others can't make legal arguments with merit). His reasoning basically boils down to that it's not in his self interest to do so and he doesn't think he should have to because he's president.

Some of it, yes. Others I think he thinks it’s private citizen stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom