The Impeachment Process Has Officially Begun (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrus

Admin
    Staff member
    Reaction score
    By Laura Bassett

After months of internal arguing among Democrats over whether to impeach President Donald Trump, the dam is finally breaking in favor of trying to remove him from office. The Washington Post reported that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would announce a formal impeachment inquiry on Tuesday, following a bombshell report that Trump illegally asked Ukraine’s government to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, one of his political opponents. (He essentially admitted to having done so over the weekend.)

“Now that we have the facts, we’re ready,” Pelosi said Tuesday morning at a forum hosted by The Atlantic. At 5 p.m. the same day, she was back with more. "The actions taken to date by the president have seriously violated the constitution, especially when the president says Article Two says I can do whatever I want," referring to the segment of the Constitution that defines the power of the executive branch of the government. Pelosi's message was that checks and balances of those branches are just as central to the Constitution. And one more thing: "Today, I am announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry," she said at a conference broadcast on Twitter by the Huffington Post. ...

Read the Full Story - InStyle

Not to quibble, but I'm going to quibble.

What's the difference between "unhinged" and "bending over backwards"?

They're even geometrically similar. Nobody can actually bend over backwards, but if they did they would appear "unhinged."

I don't see why "unhinged" is any more or less antagonistic than saying they're "bending over backwards."

JMHO, but if we find offense in one then we might find it in the other, as well. Hell, "Willing to stoop to any level" is no better, but all accurate.

My take is “bending over backwards” implies going out of your way for something. “Unhinged” to me means a person is crazy and is not thinking rationally.

I would call someone waiting a long time in line for a Popeyes chicken sandwich bending over backwards for the sandwich but not unhinged. Starting a fight over the sandwich I would call unhinged, but not bending over backwards.

My take is “bending over backwards” implies going out of your way for something. “Unhinged” to me means a person is crazy and is not thinking rationally.

But bending over backwards is physically impossible and one would have to be unhinged to do it to defend someone so I guess to me it's an odd distinction and not worthy of anyone's time.

Except Jim. Jim may have thoughts I'd love to hear. :sorry:

But bending over backwards is physically impossible and one would have to be unhinged to do it to defend someone so I guess to me it's an odd distinction and not worthy of anyone's time.

Except Jim. Jim may have thoughts I'd love to hear. :sorry:

They're both just expressions, not meant to be taken literally. I'm just sharing my take on the different meanings of those expressions.

Not to quibble, but I'm going to quibble.

What's the difference between "unhinged" and "bending over backwards"?

They're even geometrically similar. Nobody can actually bend over backwards, but if they did they would appear "unhinged."

I don't see why "unhinged" is any more or less antagonistic than saying they're "bending over backwards."

JMHO, but if we find offense in one then we might find it in the other, as well. Hell, "Willing to stoop to any level" is no better, but all accurate.

Simple dictionary definitions.

Unhinged - adjective

mentally unbalanced; deranged.

Bending over backwards - INFORMAL
    make every effort to achieve something, especially to be fair or helpful.
    "he bent over backward to be fair to the defendants"

Would you rather be called a mentally ill person, or helpful (maybe helpful to a fault)?

Simple dictionary definitions.

Unhinged - adjective

mentally unbalanced; deranged.

Bending over backwards - INFORMAL
    make every effort to achieve something, especially to be fair or helpful.
    "he bent over backward to be fair to the defendants"

Would you rather be called a mentally ill person, or helpful (maybe helpful to a fault)?

mentally ill, but that's just me.

and, just to be clear, when I say that someone is bending over backwards to defend the indefensible, I mean it the exact same way as when I use the term unhinged. It's contextual.

However, Warren just announced that if elected 50% of her cabinet would be comprised of females and non binary people. Don't get me wrong, if hypothetically she looked for the best people and they all turned out to fall into those categories then fine.

But, to declare in advance that she is going to force force her decisions to fit such criteria is, to me, pandering and the equivalent of saying she is not going to make such decisions thoughtfully.
    That would make sense only if you thought there was no way women can be qualified enough to fill half the staff.

And looking at who Trump has chosen for his staff, it's obvious that being the best qualified for the position was not remotely a criteria for his choices, so it cannot be that the absolute best person wasn't/won't be appointed.

Besides, cabinet positions are never about who is the absolute best choice -- there are a lot of qualified people to fill the posts, and making sure people fit into demographics to better represent the American population can't be a bad thing.
    Biden recently made a comment that he thinks illegal aliens should only be deported when they commit a felony and then went on to specifically state that DUI's are not felonies. Of course typically they are not, but why is the man who has claimed that members of his family were killed by a drunk driver going out if his way to downplay that crime? It's not very logical, and that's one of the problems I have with a candidate that will now to the tyranny of wokeness. Reason goes out the window and fear of offending the perpetually offended controls. It's the reason we saw a stage full of candidates mindlessly all raising their hands in that infamous moment.
    You are confusing "reason" and "logic" with "emotion."

It's logical (or rather, not illogical) to not consider DUI a felony, or even be in favor of not deporting someone guilty of DUI. It's extremely emotional to react to the situation by wanting to punish all non-citizen offenders with deportation. I would only think it logical if the person had absolutely no empathy.

I've only caught part of the actual proceedings. Mostly on my way back from work, but I often catch part of their dinner break.

So, I'll just post the Daily Show takes on it..

Get some of that Impeach Milk! haha.

NSFW language in this one.. and it's a bit weak.

A lot there. I agree that the most woke have already made an exit.

However, Warren just announced that if elected 50% of her cabinet would be comprised of females and non binary people. Don't get me wrong, if hypothetically she looked for the best people and they all turned out to fall into those categories then fine.

But, to declare in advance that she is going to force force her decisions to fit such criteria is, to me, pandering and the equivalent of saying she is not going to make such decisions thoughtfully.

I wonder why this strikes you as a “forced” gesture? I also wonder how many hundreds of years did we “force“ fill political appointments 100% with the best man for the job, ignoring half the population as if they didn’t exist?

She didn’t say 100% women, and you still kvetch. 🙂

Since I‘m feeling charitable I didn’t even mention your grasp at the straw of Durham.

I wonder why this strikes you as a “forced” gesture? I also wonder how many hundreds of years did we “force“ fill political appointments 100% with the best man for the job, ignoring half the population as if they didn’t exist?

She didn’t say 100% women, and you still kvetch. 🙂

Since I‘m feeling charitable I didn’t even mention your grasp at the straw of Durham.

Normally you limit your whataboutism to Trump, so I see you have an extra spring in your step tonight as you threw in the last 100 years.😁
    BTW, even before get to Durham the walls are closing in, we are seeing the beginning of the end, and bombshells! Better buckle in, it's gonna be a helluva ride!

I have a lot of respect for Amash, but for him to say we should listen to Schiff who has zero credibility after Russiagate is laughable. I listed a bunch of examples here:
    Also:

Last edited:
    SFL, did you watch? Mate pretty much made a fool of himself with that tweet, IMO. He’s a one trick pony, he has nothing but one note to harp on. He’s on the wrong side of history, IMO, even on that one note.

Schiff has been doing a great job, and that opinion is pretty much shared across the board except for some extremists. You like to bill yourself as not extreme, but you are falling right in step with extremists.

I have a lot of respect for Amash, but for him to say we should listen to Schiff who has zero credibility after Russiagate is laughable. I listed a bunch of examples here:
    Also:

Schiff is so widely despised by one side that it’s hard to imagine he moved the needle with many voters, notwithstanding his impressive of display advocacy the last few days. Amash has been spot on with his commentary on impeachment, and although he’s PNG among a lot of trump defenders, there might be some people closer to the middle that would give him an ear over Schiff. I wonder if it was a consideration to bring Amash on as a house manager. Hard to imagine how it would have made a significant impact, but it could have made decisions over witnesses and documents that much harder for the at-risk GOP senators to vote down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom