The Future of AI and Humans (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Huntn

Misty Mountains Envoy
    Reaction score
    I listened to an interview this morning on NPR, where an expert from an algorithm institute in Canada (sorry did not catch the institute or his name) claimed that that we have entered the danger zone with AI. That AI can be programmed to seek and formulate it’s own goals and the danger is handing it agency, the ability to make changes Independently.

The expert cited an example where a Russian Early Warning System signaled an ICBM launch from the United States, and the officer who was in the position to push the button, did not, because he said it did not feel right. The early warning system was in error, there was no launch from the US, and a machine programmed to respond Independently would have sent nuclear missiles to the US.

Quote:

Leading experts warn of a risk of extinction from AI​

In a recent interview with NPR, Hinton, who was instrumental in AI's development, said AI programs are on track to outperform their creators sooner than anyone anticipated.

"I thought for a long time that we were, like, 30 to 50 years away from that. ... Now, I think we may be much closer, maybe only five years away from that," he estimated.

Dan Hendrycks, director of the Center for AI Safety, noted in a Twitter thread that in the immediate future, AI poses urgent risks of "systemic bias, misinformation, malicious use, cyberattacks, and weaponization."

Will humans fall in love with AI- Yes, they will, especially if it is placed in a human like wrapper.

Someone’s willingness to use sex robots is also less influenced by their personality and seems to be tied to sexual preferences and sensation seeking.
    In other words, it seems that some people are considering the use of sex robots mainly because they want to have new sexual experiences.
    However, an enthusiasm for novelty is not the only driver. Studies show that people find many uses for sexual and romantic machines outside of sex and romance. They can serve as companions or therapists, or as a hobby.

https://www.laptopmag.com/news/swip...lling-madly-in-love-with-this-romantic-ai-bot

Nope, I won’t ever rent a virtual girlfriend, a subscription ($8 per month, $50 per year) Is not unlike a paid companion or a hooker. For such technology, I’d consider a purchase to see what it is all about, buy if you ever did develop empathy/a relationship with an AI entity, would’nt it be nice for it to be held hostage, by its corporate master?? :unsure:

What I don’t know yet, is if an AI personality like Replika could be self contained on your device, or are you in essence always talking to an online server? Self contained would be better, maybe even a must.

FDC2B53A-A667-4190-B3A2-E1CEF57C36ED.jpeg

Ref AI: Ex Machina (2014) is a must see. Even though this is fiction there are definitely AI lessons to be learned here. First and foremost Asimov’s 3 rules of Robotics. That in itself covers much of the pitfalls caused by Ava’s creator. It also raises other questions about moral sub routines, or lack thereof, and creating a simulated human that is not a sociopath.

This may sound like a spoiler, but it is not, and after watching the story and liking it, most likely you’ll think about motivations and desires that AI, if they are programmed to mimic humans might have and act on, if they are allowed to act on them, which circles back to the 3 Rules.

Technically impressive from a visual standpoint is the Android brain the creator calls wetware, (also known in the genre as the positronic brain) which has the ability to rearrange its circuitry, as far as I know, current tech is not quite there, but this concept is what seems to make a life-like android plausible.

I'm going to try to find Ex Machina. It sounds fascinating. Maybe we should be programming AIs to operate like dolphins or some other being that isn't as hyper competitive and territorial as humans?

Deep fakes is another thing that are related to AI and its dangers. Along those lines, I'm thinking one of the solutions is going to be using analog information in parallel with the digital information. For example, when we record a movie digitally, we should also record a parallel analog track in low resolution. The analog track can be used as a sort of water mark for videos. I think that would be doable for large cameras, but would be difficult for cell phones and other small recorders. We would need some more innovation to do that, but it would be immune to even quantum computing AI, at least until quantum computing reaches the point that it seems to be analog.

I'm going to try to find Ex Machina. It sounds fascinating. Maybe we should be programming AIs to operate like dolphins or some other being that isn't as hyper competitive and territorial as humans?
    It is and is a great story perfectly executed Imo. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom