/* */

The fate of the 10 republicans that voted to impeach trump (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    I wanted to make a topic about this for a while. About the few republicans who chose to do the right thing, and the aftermath of that decision.
    There is more detailed info in the link but here is a short summary:

Rep. John Katko: announced he would not run for reelection
    his decision was made based on a desire to spend more time with family
    Rep. Anthony Gonzalez: announced he would not run for reelection
    Gonzalez cited concerns for the safety of his family
    Rep. Adam Kinzinger: announced he would not run for reelection
    "There is no doubt in my mind that the President of the United States broke his oath of office and incited this insurrection,"
    Rep. Fred Upton: Announced he would retire. Got censured by the gop for voting to remove Marjorie Taylor Greene from a House committee
    "Even the best stories have a last chapter. This is it for me."

Rep. Peter Meijer: lost to a tump backed election denier
    The Michigan Republican had been on the job for little more than a week when he contemplated a vote to impeach the president from his own party. He called the decision "career suicide before my career ever began"
    Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler: lost to a trump backed opponent
    "I see that my own party will be best served when those among us choose truth. I believe President Trump acted against his oath of office, so I will vote to impeach him,"
    Rep. Tom Rice: lost to a trump backed opponent
    "I have backed this President through thick and thin for four years. I campaigned for him and voted for him twice. But this utter failure is inexcusable,"
    "If we are going to have a scenario where the president can try to intimidate Congress into doing what he wants, well shoot, we might as well have a monarchy,"
    Rep. Liz Cheney: kicked out of republican leadership and censured by her own party. (edit) she lost to a trump backed opponent
    "I'm a constitutional conservative and I do not recognize those in my party who have abandoned the Constitution to embrace Donald Trump,"
    "History will be their judge. I will never stop fighting for our constitutional republic. No matter what."

Rep. David Valado: did not face a trump endorsed challenger
    "President Trump was, without question, a driving force in the catastrophic events that took place on Jan. 6,"
    "His inciting rhetoric was un-American, abhorrent, and absolutely an impeachable offense. It's time to put country over politics,"
    Rep. Dan Newhouse: fended off a trump backed opponent
    "Our country needed a leader, and President Trump failed to fulfill his oath of office,

(I took the quotes from this article)

Last edited:
    An update to the above

Valadao was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump after the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. He is one of only two of those 10 to be reelected, along with Republican Rep. Dan Newhouse of Washington. Others retired or were defeated by Trump-endorsed primary challengers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom