The Facebook Whistleblower (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    Wasn't sure if this needed to be included in the social media thread or not. I didn't think so because there's just so many different layers that includes the misinformation we covered in that thread. This seems much different in that we have a Facebook employee providing details. Plus, she is using Facebook's own research and data to show Facebook has been lying all along (who's surprised by that) and are making a targeted effort at our children. Could we finally see Congress come together to tackle this problem?

Wasn't sure if this needed to be included in the social media thread or not. I didn't think so because there's just so many different layers that includes the misinformation we covered in that thread. This seems much different in that we have a Facebook employee providing details. Plus, she is using Facebook's own research and data to show Facebook has been lying all along (who's surprised by that) and are making a targeted effort at our children. Could we finally see Congress come together to tackle this problem?
    They could try, but why do I sense some might suggest it would just be a repeat of Congress going after Bill Gates and Microsoft back in the 1990's all over again, just with a very different playbook? Not defending Zuckerberg, his contentious past, how he essentially stole Facebook from the Winklevoss twins at Harvard, and became this egotistical, barely-manageable corporate shark, its just proven difficult to make charges stick on him over the past decade.

Last edited:
    I don’t know that we needed a whistleblower to tell us Facebook has been doing that. The place is a cesspool. I wish it had stayed shut down yesterday.

It's a shame that the people who are in charge of regulating things usually don't have the slightest idea about what they are regulating.

Facebook could just say they banned "Finsta" and half the Senate would thump their chests and think they saved the day.

They could try, but why do I sense some might suggest it would just be a repeat of Congress going after Bill Gates and Microsoft back in the 1990's all over again, just with a very different playbook? Not defending Zuckerberg, his contentious past, how he essentially stole Facebook from the Winklevoss twins at Harvard, and became this egotistical, barely-manageable corporate shark, its just proven difficult to make charges stick on him over the past decade.

I would argue the google antitrust case is closer to the M$ case from 1999. Google at least makes products, and services that are beneficial to society on some level. Facebook adds absolute nothing of value to society beyond a popular messenger app used in foreign countries. When all of Facebook went down, it didn't stop productivity anywhere outside of facebook HQ. In fact, if I had to guess, the outage probably marginally increased productivity.

I think the secret algo, and targeting kids is going to make it hard for senators to not pass some kind of new regulation.

Are you implying that nothing came of the Microsoft anti-trust case? It was pretty consequential from what I understand.

But thanks for illustrating again just how readily you embrace conspiracy theories, SFL. Never not entertaining.

But thanks for illustrating again just how readily you embrace conspiracy theories, SFL. Never not entertaining.
    Do you find it ironic that the supposed Facebook whistle-blower was advocating the same policies that Facebook previously supported? They are the same type of policies that would basically eliminate any of Facebook's competitors. I'm guessing it's just a weird coincidence right?

No, I don’t it find it particularly weird. FB is on a limited shelf life anyway, IMO. They aren’t all that popular with the younger crowd, and a lot of the people my age have quit. If they wanted to influence legislation why the heck would they go through this whistleblower charade, when they could just make straight up donations like every other huge corporation?

I agree that FB might be on borrowed time unless they make some SERIOUS changes, like dumping Zuckerberg.

Several media conglomerates are starting to release stories based on the leaked documents, calling them the Facebook Papers. Today, CNN is covering sex trafficking.

The best part of the hearings was when she suggested that she herself would be a good agent of the government to employ oversight of FB

Do you find it ironic that the supposed Facebook whistle-blower was advocating the same policies that Facebook previously supported? They are the same type of policies that would basically eliminate any of Facebook's competitors. I'm guessing it's just a weird coincidence right?
    I'm guessing you don't remember MySpace?

best/worst decision Zuk made was switching facebook from allowing college only people to anyone aged 13-99
    best: for all the $$$ they made since
    worst: for just about everyone and the world

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom