The debate over credible sources... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrus

Admin
    Staff member
    Reaction score
    This should be interesting. I see lot's of arguing about the credibility of sources on this board. It would nice if we could have some consensus about what sources could be cited without being dismissed as not being credible by one side or the other. I realize that isn't going to happen, but we could strive for some common ground, right?

While bias creeps into just about everything to some extent, and no news source is perfect, being as I have to post up daily news compilations on the home page I've created my own guide over the past couple of months that I reference when linking to news, which I will post below. By now I pretty much know this list by heart.

Perhaps we can develop an approved source list out of this and squelch at least some of the "not a credible source" citing from the discussions.

These are not ranked, but random, and they include my own "note to self" notations. So below is my list. Post your thoughts, disagreements, or your own list.

Most reliable/Least biased/Most factual:
    1. Reuters
    2. CBS News
    3. The Hill
    4. AP
    5. NPR
    6. Politico
    7. ABC News
    8. Forbes
    9. BBC
    10. PBS
    11. USA Today
    12. Business Insider
    13. CNN (News, not opinion)
    14. Fox (News, not opinion)
    15. Bloomberg (News, not opinion)
    16. CNN (News, not opinion)
    17. NBC (News, not opinion *Read article before posting)
    18. CNBC (News, not opinion)
    19. Buzzfeed (News only *Read article before posting)
    20. ALJazeera
    21. Axios (Not much content)

*WSJ *Pay site. Do not tease.
    *The Economist * Pay site. Do not tease.
    *New York Times (News, not opinion) * Pay site. Do not tease.
    *Washington Post (News, not opinion) * Pay Site. Do not tease.

Somewhat reliable. Note: Be skeptical of deceptive and misleading partisan narratives, titles, content, and loaded phrases. Be cautious about linking to articles from these sources:

1. Reason.com (Can be iffy, so read before posting)
    2. Washington Examiner (News, not opinion, read before posting)
    3. Huffington Post (News, not opinion. Still, read before posting)
    4. Vice , (read first before posting)
    5. Washington Times (News, not opinion, read before posting)
    6. The Intercept (Read before posting)
    7. Vox (Not always - Read before posting)
    8. MSNBC News (Read before posting)
    9. RealClearPolitics (All over the map - Read before posting)

Biased & agenda driven, very often loaded with false & misleading political propaganda, and twisting of facts in order to fit their narratives/agenda (Avoid all):

• FOX/CNN/MSNBC,etc. - (Opinion)
    • Mother Jones
    • The Nation
    • Jacobin
    • Daily Wire
    • New York Post
    • Newsmax
    • OAN
    • Democracy Now
    • Washington Examiner (opinion)
    • The Federalist
    • The Intercept
    • The Daily Caller
    • Palmer Report
    • Brietbart
    • New York Times (opinion)
    • Washington Post (opinion)
    • National Review
    • Daily KOS
    • Bipartisan Report
    • Huffington Post (Opinion)
    • Washington Times (opinion)
    • The Daily Beast
    • Daily Mail
    • Infowars
    • GP
    • Shareblue
    • News Punch
    • The Western Journal

Bloomberg should be disqualified since it's founder demanded no stories be run that could reflect poorly on his campaign when running for the Dem Nom. Also was just busted by Facebook for attempting to use 70+ fake accts to flood people's feeds with propoganda.

What's really sad? I can't look at that list and find one organization that I can say, "Yep. They give their news straight. Facts only with no bias clouding the presentation of information."

Bloomberg should be disqualified since it's founder demanded no stories be run that could reflect poorly on his campaign when running for the Dem Nom. Also was just busted by Facebook for attempting to use 70+ fake accts to flood people's feeds with propoganda.

What's really sad? I can't look at that list and find one organization that I can say, "Yep. They give their news straight. Facts only with no bias clouding the presentation of information."

Does this include Reuters and AP?

I think, at this point, you have to look at the individuals reporting or writing. News organizations will always be tipped one way or the other. We know how they fall. And that is the problem. No one trusts an honest media anymore.

There are many sources of "news" that I don't even bother with, but more than the source itself, to me, is the verbiage of a news story; how is it told, whether conclusions, assumptions, presumptions, or "could be's" are given around the particular facts, and to what extent.

Also, the follow up to the story. Many sources sensationalize a bit of news, then move on to the next bit of news they can sensationalize, without a follow up, because the follow up would show the bit of news was not as sensational as they made it out to be, or they were plain wrong, and refuse to acknowledge it.

And I don't read the news looking to confirm my biases.

It also helps being able to read news in a language other than English: a piece of news can be spun for consumption in the U.S. to cater to certain ideologies, but if I read the same piece of news from, say, EFE (which basically is the Spanish Reuters, based in Spain) I don't get the spin, just the gist of the story.

Great idea boss but sadly I don’t know that I’ve found even one that is unbiased.

I find Reuters is heavily biased. AP is the best in your top ten list but I do not think there are any major news organizations reporting to Americans without a particular bias even if that bias is only one of omission.

I don't think its possible to have an "approved" list.

I think it would be best to require everyone to post two articles, one each from two list of right and left. and reconcile the differences in the reporting in their discussion.

It would be good to get everyone out of their echo chambers in search of articles from the other side on a given topic.

Just the discovery of how many "news" stories are ignored by one side or the other would be educational (for those few here looking for that)

I find Reuters is heavily biased. AP is the best in your top ten list but I do not think there are any major news organizations reporting to Americans without a particular bias even if that bias is only one of omission.

I think it would be best to require everyone to post two articles, one each from two list of right and left. and reconcile the differences in the reporting in their discussion.

It would be good to get everyone out of their echo chambers in search of articles from the other side on a given topic.

Just the discovery of how many "news" stories are ignored by one side or the other would be educational (for those few here looking for that)
    I think that’s a great idea.

That right wing nutter (just my opinion before anyone gets offended) that yells all the time.
    Can’t remember his name as couldn’t stand to listen to him.

Can you please link to some heavily biased Reuters articles, because this strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom