The dangers of "religious science" (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    Youtube is full of pseudo-scientific videos trying to prove everything from the lunar landing being a hoax to the Earth being flat. Most are laughable, but every once in a while you run into one that's well produced, one that looks and sounds like legitimate science, especially for the layman or someone who is predisposed to believe, and these are overwhelmingly of a religious nature.

Watching the video below, it immediately made me think of the thread about the student religious liberties act passed in Ohio, and how such videos can influence the minds of young people who are born into deeply religious environments, and even turn them against science, as science continues to debunk myths and legends from centuries ago.

I don't want to list all of the misdirection, falsehoods, convenient omissions, alternate facts, argumentative fallacies, etc... but if anyone has any questions...

I agree with you. The video is a mess. It starts with a bit of jumbled philosophy but then gets into bad science (and philosophy). They are arguing in a way that Aquinas denounced in the fourteenth century. That is to say they are trying to draw philosophical/theological conclusions through scientific means. It's why the intelligent design crew are barking up the wrong tree and are not a bit frustrating in branding their message as science and pushing them into classrooms. I agree with their conclusions of God's existence, but you can't arrive at them through the scientific method. Ironically, this is akin to atheists drawing similar philosophical conclusions to the contrary. It's two sides of the same coin.

You may find the views of Stephen M Barr interesting. He is a theoretical particle physicist as well as a practicing Catholic. He speaks to the relationship between science and religion in a much more coherent way, in the tradition of Aquinas, and actively debates against the intelligent design community's aims.

Youtube is full of pseudo-scientific videos trying to prove everything from the lunar landing being a hoax to the Earth being flat. Most are laughable, but every once in a while you run into one that's well produced, one that looks and sounds like legitimate science, especially for the layman or someone who is predisposed to believe, and these are overwhelmingly of a religious nature.

Watching the video below, it immediately made me think of the thread about the student religious liberties act passed in Ohio, and how such videos can influence the minds of young people who are born into deeply religious environments, and even turn them against science, as science continues to debunk myths and legends from centuries ago.

I don't want to list all of the misdirection, falsehoods, convenient omissions, alternate facts, argumentative fallacies, etc... but if anyone has any questions...

Biogenesis is the pseudoscientific blathersmack predicated on the religious fanaticism of naturalism.

Biogenesis is the pseudoscientific blathersmack predicated on the religious fanaticism of naturalism.
    "Blathersmack", uh? That's at least the 3rd time I've seen that "word". Probably copy/paste from some apologetics site? And whoever coined it, didn't realize the statement they were making :hihi:

I believe the originator of that quote meant to type "blatherskite"; just so you know next time you use the quote...

"Blathersmack", uh? That's at least the 3rd time I've seen that "word". Probably copy/paste from some apologetics site? And whoever coined it, didn't realize the statement they were making :hihi:

I believe the originator of that quote meant to type "blatherskite"; just so you know next time you use the quote...

Blathersmack is my own term, and I seriously doubt you know much about abiogenetic research beyond the copy/paste, slogan speak of naturalism.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
    Top Bottom