The Biden Cabinet and Transition Thread (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    Ok the rules:
    • Your post can only contain one department and guess.
    • You may post more than once for different departments.
    • Post can contain comments about previous guesses.
    • Guesses for one department can be used for other departments.
    • Minds can, of course, be changed.
    I will kick things off first...

Secretary of State: Susan Rice

Susan_Rice_official_photo.jpg

This is as clear a choice as there can be. She has all of the credentials and rep to begin healing as relationships with our allies.

In the leaked audio below, Biden talked about the defund the police talking point as the reason why Republicans "beat the living hell out of us across the country."

ON TUESDAY, AFTER some public tokenizing and horse trading, President-elect Joe Biden’s transition team crowned dairy industry lobbyist and former Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to lead the Department of Agriculture. Vilsack won out over House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn’s pick, Rep. Marcia Fudge, who was also backed by progressives. Whereas Fudge represented an opportunity to unite the USDA’s rural and urban constituents and address the agency’s long history of racial discrimination, Vilsack is a rerun of pro-corporate policies that continue to drive rural communities away from the Democratic Party.

...If Vilsack repeats his Obama-era strategy, we won’t see that progress. This is because Vilsack doesn’t actually speak to the totality and needs of rural people. In his work at the Department of Agriculture and as a dairy lobbyist, Vilsack represents the powerful few of Big Ag.

AS AGRICULTURE SECRETARY, Vilsack let down independent family farmers when he failed to take on agribusiness domination. Food production is concentrated in the hands of a shrinking number of giant multinational corporations who hold immense power over farmers, workers, consumers, and policymakers. As a candidate, Barack Obama promised to take on Big Ag during the 2008 Iowa caucuses and reiterated the goal at the start of his presidency. Starting in 2010, Vilsack’s USDA along with the Department of Justice held a series of hearings across the country where farmers shared stories of abuse and anti-competitive conduct by dominant meatpackers, such as Tyson or Smithfield, and seed and chemical goliaths, such as Monsanto.

What you heard in those recordings should make you feel better, SFL. You heard a man who basically says the same things in private that he says publicly. You heard a man reluctant to abuse executive power.

What you are reading and what you have quoted above is spin.

Just listen to the recordings and then let us know what you think. That would be a good start.

What you heard in those recordings should make you feel better, SFL. You heard a man who basically says the same things in private that he says publicly. You heard a man reluctant to abuse executive power.

What you are reading and what you have quoted above is spin.

Just listen to the recordings and then let us know what you think. That would be a good start.
    I did like what he said about executive power and I hope he does what he says in that regard. I remember a few of us here saying defund the police was a horrible slogan, but we were told it was stupid to focus on that.

Is it spin that Vilsack is a former dairy industry lobbyist and that Clyburn preferred Fudge for the position? What did Vilsack do in the past to make you believe he's not for pro-corporate policies? Considering how Republicans "beat the living hell out of us(Democrats) across the country" it might be good to reexamine the issues instead of just claiming it's spin.

I would submit that by ridding us of Trump, Biden has done more for front line health workers and the US than Trump did in his entire term of office. 😁
    What specifically is Biden going to do differently than Trump to get Covid under control? Be specific please and leave out the empty platitudes like listen to medical professionals or reinstitute the pandemic team. I do like that Biden added Michael Osterholm to his Covid advisory board.

What specifically is Biden going to do differently than Trump to get Covid under control? Be specific please and leave out the empty platitudes like listen to medical professionals or reinstitute the pandemic team. I do like that Biden added Michael Osterholm to his Covid advisory board.
    It's too late to get it under control, trump has already failed to control the spread. There are vaccines now that, god willing, will help slow the spread, but I feel we are stuck with this thing for decades before it's eradicated. The thing Biden will do is restore measures that were in place to prevent future worldwide pandemics and perhaps inspire a global coalition with a goal of preventing such disasters.

It's too late to get it under control, trump has already failed to control the spread. There are vaccines now that, god willing, will help slow the spread, but I feel we are stuck with this thing for decades before it's eradicated. The thing Biden will do is restore measures that were in place to prevent future worldwide pandemics and perhaps inspire a global coalition with a goal of preventing such disasters.
    Which measures specifically? There was nothing that could have been done to prevent Covid from being a worldwide pandemic once it spread from China besides locking down the entire world population for months.

Which measures specifically? There was nothing that could have been done to prevent Covid from being a worldwide pandemic once it spread from China besides locking down the entire world population for months.
    I'm not POTUS, it's wasn't mine or anyone else's responsibility to make the hard choices. trump had the information and he choose to take the easy way out for him and lie about what was going on in China instead of making that exact choice, lock it down. Then he took it a step forward by trying to look like a hero and flying possibly infected Americans back home, without taking any measures to identify their medical status.

Now, I'm sure you're going to say "but the dims criticized trump for banning China travel" and of course I'll remind you that his "travel ban" wasn't really a travel ban. I'll also remind you that their statements regarding his actions were made out of ignorance to what we were actually facing because they lacked the information that trump had available, trump's decision making was made out of stupidity.

So, if we had Biden in charge in the US from the beginning of this, don’t you think our death toll would be lower than it is right now? You know, where we practically lead the world in deaths? You think Trump losing interest and just quitting on virus control may have contributed to our horrific death toll? Listening to that idiot Scott Atlas over Fauci, downplaying wearing masks and social distancing, making other people the enemy rather than focusing on making the virus the enemy?

Your job and mine would be much easier right now had we had anyone competent rather than Trump. I saw a table, wish I would have kept it, that showed what the US death toll would be had we had the same death rate as other developed countries. It was just heartbreaking and enraging. We should by all rights be so much lower than we are right now. It‘s unforgivable how badly Trump did managing this crisis.

Even getting rid of Trump in January will save lives, but it’s just such a tragedy how many people needlessly died here.

I did like what he said about executive power and I hope he does what he says in that regard. I remember a few of us here saying defund the police was a horrible slogan, but we were told it was stupid to focus on that.

Is it spin that Vilsack is a former dairy industry lobbyist and that Clyburn preferred Fudge for the position? What did Vilsack do in the past to make you believe he's not for pro-corporate policies? Considering how Republicans "beat the living hell out of us(Democrats) across the country" it might be good to reexamine the issues instead of just claiming it's spin.

Biden was against defunding the police from the first time he heard that slogan. He’s not against police reform, though, and I hope he will follow through on that.

I also like that he says he’s reluctant to use too many executive orders. But I do think there will be a flurry of them when he first takes office. Mostly because he has to undo a lot of what Trump did by Executive Order, and so he will have to do that. After that, though, I hope he keeps his word.

On the Cabinet pick, what you have done is stated a couple of facts (former dairy lobbyist, Clyburn preferred Fudge), and asked if it is spin. You just ignored the actual spin that was present in the excerpts you posted.

If you are going to pretend that the sources you quoted are not against this potential appointment, and are not spinning it, then there’s really not much else to talk about is there?

I’m willing to give just about everyone in Biden’s cabinet a chance, before I decide that they are doing a bad job. It’ll be hard to do worse than our current administration, so they will be graded on a curve (by me) for a little bit. It is what it is.

Mayor Pete has a new job (potentially)...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom