Suppose Climate Change is real, but we can’t stop it (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

samiam5211

Reaction score
    At some point even the Greatas of the world may have to admit that climate change is not something we can prevent. Whether or not it is human caused, there will be a point if no return.

Where is the point where humanity is better served by focusing resources on adaptation rather than prevention?

There is likely much overlap between prevention and adaptation.

One example of this might be the activists’ push against fossil fuels...

Maybe we should be trying use as much solar power as possible now to save fossil fuels for a time when we have a period of glaciation in an area where humans live today? Maybe we will need that oil and gas should there be a time when the Midwest is below freezing five months a year. This is not an uncommon situation in Earth’s relatively recent history.

I do believe that the climate is changing and that we will fail to stop it, and we are the ancestors of people who will have to grow their food in different regions from us and get their energy from different places.

The sooner humanity begins to diversify these necessities the better.

Last edited:
    Interesting, particularly Graham.

Graham made comments two weeks ago that he has "accepted that climate change is real" - so I suppose this is evidence of that?

He's always very hard to predict because he's a total political chameleon - many of them are but he's particularly adaptable. This could be a authentic new viewpoint for him, who knows.

Do you consider this guy a credible source? Or you just post his stuff because it appeals to you?
    Have you looked into his positions, or anything like that?

Do you consider this guy a credible source? Or you just post his stuff because it appeals to you?
    Have you looked into his positions, or anything like that?

He is a journalist - not a scientist. Google him and you'll see what kind of guy he is. He takes great pride in the number of neuclear reactors he has helped "save"

But to the larger point, any sort of energy consumption contributes to entropy. The best way to slow that down is to consume less. After that, it's consuming energy in the least intrusive way possible with the knowledge we have at the time. As we learn more, we adjust.

He is a journalist - not a scientist. Google him and you'll see what kind of guy he is. He takes great pride in the number of neuclear reactors he has helped "save"
    Oh, I did a very quick look. He wants over 50% of our power to come from nuclear reactors. He even commented admiringly about Russia’s ability to build nuclear reactors cheaply and efficiently. 🤦‍♀️

I’m not sure what his motivation is. Maybe he gets paid by that industry.

I don’t think his assertions about solar panels are accepted wisdom, though. I think he should probably not be a trusted source of information on these issues, as he clearly has an axe to grind.

I was hoping to figure out what SFL thinks about this - when he posts tweets does it mean he agrees with everything said? Or is it more like - hey here‘s a somewhat controversial opinion, should we talk about what this guy says?

Last edited:
    The big issue I have with those who claim that climate change/Global warming isn't real, is that it is almost like Trump 18 month ago. "This isn't real", "only one or two people will die" and wasting precious time better used to getting ready and maybe avoid the worst posible scenarios.

Heat records are being set world wide, Massive fires are burning on multiple continents, The arctic are melting faster than even the experts expected. Water shortages are killing people and the changes are happening fast. Coincident - I don't know - I'm no expert but I'd rather try to follow the advice of those who has spend a lifetime researching the way our climate works than bury my head in the sand and pretend that nothing is wrong.

Oh, I did a very quick look. He wants over 50% of our power to come from nuclear reactors. He even commented admiringly about Russia’s ability to build nuclear reactors cheaply and efficiently. 🤦‍♀️

I’m not sure what his motivation is. Maybe he gets paid by that industry.

I don’t think his assertions about solar panels are accepted wisdom, though. I think he should probably not be a trusted source of information on these issues, as he clearly has an axe to grind.

I was hoping to figure out what SFL thinks about this - when he posts tweets does it mean he agrees with everything said? Or is it more like - hey here‘s a somewhat controversial opinion, should we talk about what this guy says?
    Generally when someone talks about solar panels (or electric car batteries) not being as "clean" as advertised, its just to troll the libs. But there is nothing groundbreaking about acknowledging that solar panels aren't a silver bullet.

Nuclear is the closest thing we have to a silver bullet now, and I'm of the opinion that its really our only hope to curb climate change at this point and we have to scale it up and accept the risks. I'm all for ramping up solar and wind too where it makes sense, but ironically the most liberal states are also the ones with the least sun, and I feel like places like New York are putting their eggs in the wrong basket when they require solar panel roofs while refusing to build new nuclear plants.

Generally when someone talks about solar panels (or electric car batteries) not being as "clean" as advertised, its just to troll the libs. But there is nothing groundbreaking about acknowledging that solar panels aren't a silver bullet.

Nuclear is the closest thing we have to a silver bullet now, and I'm of the opinion that its really our only hope to curb climate change at this point and we have to scale it up and accept the risks. I'm all for ramping up solar and wind too where it makes sense, but ironically the most liberal states are also the ones with the least sun, and I feel like places like New York are putting their eggs in the wrong basket when they require solar panel roofs while refusing to build new nuclear plants.

Use the renewable energy sources that makes sense at the location. Denmark is certainly not known as a very sunny place - at least not half the year. Many homeowners are still installing solar power when building a new house or renovating the roofs on older buildings. and combined with a progressive "net sum energy solution" (The grid buy excess daytime power and provide nightime power at a 1:1 rate) it allows the homeowners to utilizes their instalations to the max, but our main renewable energy comes from wind.

https://www.dw.com/en/denmark-leads-the-charge-in-renewable-energy/a-17603695

Earth is warming faster than previously thought, scientists say, and the window is closing to avoid catastrophic outcomes​

The state-of-the-science report from the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says the world has rapidly warmed 1.1 degrees Celsius higher than pre-industrial levels, and is now careening toward 1.5 degrees — a critical threshold that world leaders agreed warming should remain below to avoid worsening impacts.

Even under the IPCC's most optimistic scenario, in which the world's emissions begin to drop sharply today and are reduced to net zero by 2050, global temperature will still peak above the 1.5-degree threshold before falling.
    In a statement, UN Secretary-General António Guterres called the report "a code red for humanity," and noted the 1.5-degree threshold is "perilously close."

I hope that somehow all the extreme weather this year will somehow make people wake up - but I doubt it :cautious:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom