Should transgender women have access to cis female sexual and reproductive healthcare? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Intensesaint

Reaction score
    Meaning, do you believe that trans women should be afforded access to gynecologists where they can get pelvic exams, cervical screenings, or exams because they want to take female based contraceptives?

The National Center for Transgender Equality believes this.

Last edited:
    The point being made in the link is that trans people need medical care based on their physical bodies and shouldn’t have to face discrimination when trying to access that care.

The article reads more like propaganda than anything else, ergo the responses.

If we put aside the gender labels, I think we can all agree that:
    if an individual has an uterus, sure, they should be able to get a pap smear.
    If an individual has a prostate, sure, they should be able to get a prostate exam.

That should transcend any of the 60 some gender labels.

I appreciate the virtue signaling(not really), but the fact remains that it is inane for the medical industry to preform female biological specific procedures on trans females. They might as well have imaginary tea time while they are at it.

I recall reading about how this issue has played out in the UK, and the point was made that a patient might miss notification that a test that is genuinely warranted, such as a prostate exam for a biological male, and yet that patient would get a notification that an unnecessary procedure, such as a pap smear, was due.

If an individual has a prostate, sure, they should be able to get a prostate exam.

Would you agree that it is very possible that with the variety of physical situations trans people may have in that part of their body, a doctor familiar with a vagina might be more appropriate?

I don’t know what surgery can do, but I can imagine that in some situations what is left more closely resembles a female for care at least with regard hygiene.

But we shouldn’t even be having to talk so graphically about a persons body to justify something they and their doctor have decided is necessary.

Would you agree that it is very possible that the variety of physical situations trans people may have in that part of their body that is possible a doctor familiar with a vagina might be more appropriate?
    If they don't actually have a vagina, no. Again, person with no eyes and eye exam.

I don’t know what surgery can do, but I can imagine that in some situations what is left more closely resemble a female at least with regard hygiene.
    You'd think. Maybe people can take their fleshlights to gynecologists too.

But we shouldn’t even be having to talk so graphically about a persons body tojustify something they and their doctor have decided is necessary.
    Then don't do it.

what is abundantly clear is that no one's political philosophy gives anyone particular insight into biology (or geology or meteorology, et al)

the whole, 'i'm going to understand a new phenomenon politically first, then go to the science' is exactly backwards

what is abundantly clear is that no one's political philosophy gives anyone particular insight into biology (or geology or meteorology, et al)

the whole, 'i'm going to understand a new phenomenon politically first, then go to the science' is exactly backwards

If Castro had only applied that sound principle he could have avoided embarrassing himself by promising to pay for abortions for transgender women.

For someone that made an entire thread complaining about the quality of participation on this board, you really need to read your own posts.

Not only is this post blatantly inflammatory, but it does exactly what you seemingly are upset with others doing in terms of demanding adherence to opinions without bothering to substantiate anything. If the article is propaganda, explain how and show where. If what you assert is going to require additional facts to verify, provide them.

You labeled something and dismissed it in one hand swipe in the same way you complain about posters failing to engage holistically on other topics. All finished by taking a passive aggressive personal shot once again at the trans community. A callback to your ignorant thread about protests at chickfil a. No one, including the page inexplicably linked to make this ridiculous argument is demanding biologically unnecessary procedures or routine treatment. It’s a straw man.

My initial response to your other thread was that you are personally often as bad as anyone you have criticized and your behavior across the board today amongst multiple threads, speaking to conservatives and liberals alike does not change that opinion unfortunately.

Last edited:
    I think there are a lot of people talking about stuff in here that really have no idea what they are talking about. A Pap smear has zero to do with a vagina.

I think people who have surgery to transition to a woman do end up with a vagina though. What sorts of risks there are for these people and what sort of gynecological exams they require, I have no idea about.

FWIW, Castro was very likely talking about transgender males, people born with female reproductive systems who identify as male; they can get pregnant, and might need an abortion.

I think there are a lot of people talking about stuff in here that really have no idea what they are talking about. A Pap smear has zero to do with a vagina.

I think people who have surgery to transition to a woman do end up with a vagina though. What sorts of risks there are for these people and what sort of gynecological exams they require, I have no idea about.

FWIW, Castro was very likely talking about transgender males, people born with female reproductive systems who identify as male; they can get pregnant, and might need an abortion.
    Right, and as stated then, the only apology Castro really should need to issue is to the transgender community for confusing Transgender men and woman.

But I haven’t seen them that upset over the slip up.

You clearly just glanced over things because I specifically mentioned the cervix when talking about a Pap smear.

I appreciate the virtue signaling(not really), but the fact remains that it is inane for the medical industry to preform female biological specific procedures on trans females. They might as well have imaginary tea time while they are at it.

I'm sorry that you interpreted a list of specific, valid reasons that a male-to-female person might need the services of a gynecologist as virtue signalling, but it isn't. How about you respond to said list if you disagree with its contents. I'll be waiting.

For someone that made an entire thread complaining about the quality of participation on this board, you really need to read your own posts.
    Of course, kettle.

Not only is this post blatantly inflammatory,
    How?

but it does exactly what you seemingly are upset with others doing in terms of demanding adherence to opinions without bothering to substantiate anything. If the article is propaganda, explain how and show where. If what you assert is going to require additional facts to verify, provide them.
    First of all, I am not upset.

As I said in the post you quoted:

But that's not what the article in the OP is about, is it?

Most bullet points in the article, you can substitute "transgender" with "people", and I am pretty sure we all can agree with the principle.

But, again, that is not the point of the article.

Transgender people are often reluctant to seek sexual and reproductive health care.
    How is that my problem? It's your health. Many men are reluctant to go get prostate exams because it involves a doctor sticking his finger deep in one's rectum. If they don't go get the exam and they end up with prostate cancer, they have themselves to blame.

Transgender people lack access to relevant health information.
    No, they don't.
    Because you choose a gender, it doesn't mean that you can choose your biology too. You can label yourself with any of the 60+ genders, but if you are born with a penis, testicles, and prostate, there is PLENTY of relevant information out there. Same if you are born with a uterus. There is no specific biological information for transgenders because gender is not biology.

Providers often lack appropriate clinical knowledge.
    Really? Doctors don't know biology now? And again, gender is not biology.

Many providers still turn transgender patients away
    Such as? Oh, that's right. The article doesn't say who or why. And if doctors are turning away a person with a penis and testicles because that person wants a pap smear, they are doing the right thing: not taking money from an individual for an unnecessary ( or in this case impossible) medical procedure.

[Admin Edit :nono: condescending and insulting]
    My initial response to your other thread was that you are personally often as bad as anyone you have criticized and your behavior across the board today amongst multiple threads, speaking to conservatives and liberals alike does not change that opinion unfortunately.

[Admin Edit :nono: Rude, uncivil behavior. Do not intentionally trip the profanity filter on the MCB board]

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom