Should prog/libs reclaim the flag? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GMRfellowtraveller

Reaction score
    Seems to be that the majority of people who ‘proudly’ wave the US flag represent a narrow slice of the American cultural pie
    Southern Heritage types, Insurrectionists, xenophobes - none of those are American cultural ideas

[for argument’s sake, I’m thinking ‘American Culture’ as something that started coalescing around WW1 and quickened during the Voting Rights Act]

At the very least, it seems like that flag should represent an panoply of ideas instead of the irreconcilable contradictions it projects now

And if ‘yes, progs/libs should reclaim’, what form should that take?

I normally associate American Progressives/Liberals with burning of the flag. I don't think we should encourage them to wrap themselves in the flag instead. They might revert to type and set fire to it. And then.. well.. trips to casualty.... disfiguring burns.. it would all get messy ?

Do think flag burning is a common occurrence?

A progressive idea would be no flag at all. Just the imagining of one. That way no one could be tied to the racist past or present, or offend anyone who would definitely be offended, by symbols or lack of sympathy, empathy or representation. Just have an empty flag pole or stick to proudly wave back and forth imagining what you want represented. Better yet if someone is holding this flag you see nothing but them, proudly representing the progressive idea that change is constant, and there are no constants only change.

Another gross misrepresentation of "progressive." And this post reflects a naive understanding of the world. Change is the only constant of history. It's also why so many "conservatives" have no clue as to what "progressives" believe and in many cases intentionally assign beliefs and positions to cast their fellow Americans as not having any patriotism or love for one's country. I'm just as American as you and have just as much patriotic pride as anybody else on here, left or right.

I'm willing to bet all "progressives" on this site love the flag, fly the flag and thinks it should represent all Americans. Unfortunately, patriotism has been so politicized and perverted, it's pointless to prove to anyone that a political perspective should not be any indicator of one's patriotism or love of country.

And as soon as more people understand and appreciate this nation's warts besides the buying into the American exceptionalist, crap-assed narrative then maybe we'll stop politicizing the flag and patriotism, but I'm not holding my breath.

To answer the original question, no.

Last edited:
    A progressive idea would be no flag at all. Just the imagining of one. That way no one could be tied to the racist past or present, or offend anyone who would definitely be offended, by symbols or lack of sympathy, empathy or representation. Just have an empty flag pole or stick to proudly wave back and forth imagining what you want represented. Better yet if someone is holding this flag you see nothing but them, proudly representing the progressive idea that change is constant, and there are no constants only change.

As a flaming liberal, I agree.

Flags are just symbols, and symbols are often used to manipulate people who aren't critical thinkers. This manipulation isn't always done for bad reasons, but the potential for it to inspire a simple minded mob to do the bidding of a leader who has been overcome by their own ego is a vulnerability that i'd rather not have to worry about.

Another gross misrepresentation of "progressive." And this post reflects a naive understanding of the world. Change is the only constant of history. It's also why so many "conservatives" have no clue as to what "progressives" believe and in many cases intentionally assign beliefs and positions to cast their fellow Americans as not having any patriotism or love for one's country. I'm just as American as you and have just as much patriotic pride as anybody else on here, left or right.

I'm willing to bet all "progressives" on this site love the flag, fly the flag and thinks it should represent all Americans. Unfortunately, patriotism has been so politicized and perverted, it's pointless to prove to anyone that a political perspective should not be any indicator of one's patriotism or love of country.

And as soon as more people understand and appreciate this nation's warts besides the buying into the American exceptionalist, crap-assed narrative then maybe we'll stop politicizing the flag and patriotism, but I'm not holding my breath.

To answer the original question, no.

Well your no fun!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom