SCOTUS rules against Trump Admin. decision to end DACA (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score

The opinion is written by Roberts - but there are various parts with various join/concur/dissent. It's not a simple count, though the majority itself is 5-4, with Roberts joining the "liberal" wing.

ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion of the Court, except as to Part IV. GINSBURG, BREYER, and KAGAN, JJ., joined that opinion in full, and SOTOMAYOR, J., joined as to all but Part IV. SOTOMAYOR, J., filed an opinion concurring in part, concurring in the judgment in part, and dissenting in part. THOMAS, J., filed an opinion concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part, in which ALITO and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. ALITO, J., and KAVANAUGH, J., filed opinions concurring in the judgment in part and dissenting in part.

Last edited:
    I’m so freaking happy for this. I have numerous friends who are DACA students who are absolutely wonderful people and massively talented. I cannot for a second stop feeling happier than heck for them. Some great young people have a continuing future here in the US.

A Supreme Court where HE appointed two of the justices. SCOTUS wants no part of the sinking ship that is the Trump "administration" These souls have no desire to be tied to the Trump legacy of evil, mean-spirited narcissism.

OR the Trump administration just can’t present legit legal defenses to their policies. In the end that’s what it always should be about - and that’s what it is about. Gorsuch knows that. Roberts knows that.

I was fortunate enough to be with two immigration lawyers when this news broke. The ruling is complicated, but they're ecstatic over the outcome. We all needed the boost of positivity, but it clearly felt different for them than for me. It sounds like the administration could have achieved their desired result with DACA if they'd been able to do it competently. Isn't this similar to what happened to one of the travel bans?

USCIS is about to furlough 75% of their workforce. Trumps policies had caused a precipitous drop in applications, and as a fee funded agency, USCIS was already in a budget crisis before covid. He has essentially defunded the legal immigration system.

Good luck getting those DACA applications adjudicated.

I heard on NPR yesterday that something like 30,000 DACA recipients are health care workers on the front lines of this COVID nightmare. Ranging from nurses to physicians and physicians assistants. The last thing we need is losing these people right now.

Why Trump would want to get rid of these people can only be explained by his unfettered racism.

In the interview with Spanish-language TV network Telemundo, Trump said his executive order would involve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), the program that protects hundreds of thousands of such immigrants from deportation.

“I’m going to do a big executive order. ... And I’m going to make DACA a part of it,” Trump said. “We’re going to have a road to citizenship.”

(followed by)

an immediate rebuke from his fellow Republican, Senator Ted Cruz, who wrote in a Twitter post that “it would be a HUGE mistake if Trump tries to illegally expand amnesty.”

“There is ZERO constitutional authority for a President to create a “road to citizenship” by executive fiat,” Cruz wrote.

...I don't know about anyone else, but I won't hold my breath. This reminds me of how (R) bitched and complained about ACA and their plan would do it better, yet 10 years later they have no plan at all

Bringing back an oldie but goodie... Judge ruled DACA rules pennned by Chad Wolf is invalid...

Lawyers...

Is this ruling specific to DACA, or is everything Chad Wolf signed off on invalid?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom