Rush Limbaugh is dead (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Xeno

Reaction score
    I won't shed any tears.

Death comes to one and all, what we do in life tells the story about how folks should feel about us meeting our end.
    Wasn’t nobody crying over the death of Hitler other than Nazis and probably Neville Chamberlin.

I'm not going to revel in the man's death
    I will.

Every time I've seen his name trending on twitter I would immediately check to see if this is why. Glad I can put that exercise to rest.

The man was a hateful, evil, pompous, racist, sexist, compulsively lying, piece of trash who did nothing but spread hate and division for as long as I can remember.

When I was a kid and delivered pizzas and was just figuring out my political way, I'd listen to him (my dad is a huge R - for financial reasons - so that's the way I leaned) and I never could understand how a man whose basic platform was "Everything the evil Democrats do is wrong and I oppose it because they are evil Democrats" could have such a massive following. His schtick never seemed to have changed much over the years either. I guess in the Trump years he got more "positive" by praising Trump instead of just hating D's, but if the world is a better place without one man, it is this man.

https://people.com/politics/remembering-elton-john-unexpected-bond-with-rush-limbaugh/

"John, for his part, has talked about his unexpected relationship with Limbaugh in the years since.
    In a 2012 interview with USA Today, he said Limbaugh "sends me the loveliest emails. What I get from Rush privately and what I get from Rush publicly are two different things. I'm just trying to break him down."
    According to USA Today, John believed then that Limbaugh, with whom he had bonded over music, wasn't really against gay marriage.
    As John told The New York Times in 2014: "I've been sober for 24 years now, and one of the best lessons it taught me is to listen. When it comes to people like Rush Limbaugh, or people who might enrage you sometimes, dialogue is the only way. You have to reach out."

I found this article interesting. I am not a Rush follower so I had no idea he was even married but I found this article kind of endearing. A lesson to be shared by all.

https://people.com/politics/remembering-elton-john-unexpected-bond-with-rush-limbaugh/

"John, for his part, has talked about his unexpected relationship with Limbaugh in the years since.
    In a 2012 interview with USA Today, he said Limbaugh "sends me the loveliest emails. What I get from Rush privately and what I get from Rush publicly are two different things. I'm just trying to break him down."
    According to USA Today, John believed then that Limbaugh, with whom he had bonded over music, wasn't really against gay marriage.
    As John told The New York Times in 2014: "I've been sober for 24 years now, and one of the best lessons it taught me is to listen. When it comes to people like Rush Limbaugh, or people who might enrage you sometimes, dialogue is the only way. You have to reach out."

I found this article interesting. I am not a Rush follower so I had no idea he was even married but I found this article kind of endearing. A lesson to be shared by all.

In a way isn't this worse?

"Oh, in real life he doesn't believe a thing he says on air"

I find that to be pretty disingenuous from both sides

Lying just to make a buck and broadcasting hate to people who absolutely believe every thing he says on air

Thanks for sharing that. The lesson I have decided to take from that story is that it is apparently easy to be hateful over a microphone that sends your words out into a void. But not so easy to be hateful when you have to look the person you are hating directly in the face. The same goes for this keyboard I am typing into, really.

Thanks for sharing that. The lesson I have decided to take from that story is that it is apparently easy to be hateful over a microphone that sends your words out into a void. But not so easy to be hateful when you have to look the person you are hating directly in the face. The same goes for this keyboard I am typing into, really.

It's hard to hate up close

Here is some truth. I started listening in 1995 when I got my driver's license and he was already 7 years in. He created what is possible on all of the Tuckers, Hannitys, OANN's, Newsmaxes, etc. today.

Thread by @pastpunditry on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

Rush Limbaugh radically transformed the Republican Party. He elevated conservative media into a coequal branch of party politics, and pioneered a style of rhetoric, argument, and entertainment that would come to define conservative politics.
    The things we now think of as particularly Trumpian features of conservatism — the insults, the conspiracies, the blend of entertainment and politics and anger — Limbaugh had been doing it for a quarter-century before Trump showed up to the party.

He did what the first generation of conservative media activists had failed to do: he made right-wing media entertaining, profitable, and politically powerful. Though he was building on their work, he also transformed it.

He often bent the GOP to his will: his immense popularity when he arrived on the national scene in 1988 confounded GOP politicians, who chose to court him for fear of crossing him.

From George HW Bush putting him up overnight in the Lincoln bedroom to Michael Steele begging his forgiveness, he was a a precursor to the kind of loyalty politics on the right with which we're now so familiar.

He infused his show with racism and misogyny, wrapping both in jokes and satire so he could claim that critics were taking him too seriously. But it was a consistent feature of his show for decades.

Anyway, there's much more to say, but for now I'll just end by noting that the trends you've seen in the GOP over the last five years have all been visible on Limbaugh's show for decades — not just bc he prefigured them but bc he helped create Trump's Republican Party.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom