Rise of the Employee Social Media Policy (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

NoPartyMike

Reaction score
    I work for a national company. A local business owner had a strongly worded opinion about the recent riots (destruction of property) in the nation. A co-worker "shared" the post on their social media and retorted with their opinion on the matter, followed by a call to discontinue business with the local owner.

People who support the local business owner discovered where my co-worker works through their social media and have since been blowing up our corporate office through emails and calls, calling for their firing. The corporate office advised that they've already dealt with several of these scenarios this year, nation wide.

Our corporate office also said they are in the works of releasing a new Employee Social Media Policy. I'm not sure what it will consist of, but they cited it's in response to the recent tensions in America and the upcoming presidential election.

Can a balance be struck between the freedom to express one's opinion vs a real call to impact one's life due to a difference of opinion?

Last edited:
    I implemented a strong social media policy within the first 30 days after I took over my organization's HR department. It's needed for any organization.
    My company social media policy is mostly, 'don't badmouth the company'. I don't think it has anything else about personal opinions.

But, I keep telling my kids. Be passionate, have thoughts, but don't be a freaking idiot and post something inflammatory or overly aggressive, because it can or will come back to haunt you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom