Rest in Power Congressman John Lewis... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

I disagreed often with Lewis on policy, but you have to be struck by the tenacity and courage of people like Lewis and C.T. Vivian, who also died this week. Take a look at early/mid-60s photos of civil rights protests and you are likely to see Lewis and Vivian at the front, taking the brunt of the violent reactions of police and public officials while remaining firmly committed to non-violence. Those two men spent their entire lives actively trying to make the lives of other people better. Vivian had said that was the only activity in one's life that actually has value. The country lost two great men this week.

At the very least, he lived long enough to see this nation elect its first black president. His passing and remembrance will be yet one more thing for trump to defile by his very existence. RIP John Lewis. Job well done.

Oh wow :facepalm:
    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) prompted pushback Saturday after tweeting a photo of himself and the late Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) in a tribute to the late John Lewis (D-Ga.), who died this week.

Rubio on Saturday shared a photo of himself and Cummings, tweeting that it was "an honor to know & be blessed with the opportunity to serve in Congress with JohnLewis a genuine & historic American hero."

Rubio also changed his profile picture on Twitter to himself and a photo of Cummings Saturday, according to multiple reports. He has since changed the photo to one of himself and Lewis.

Truly great American, RIP Mr. Lewis, you will be missed....

It is sad that Americans have to continually relearn the same lessons.

It is sad that Americans have to continually relearn the same lessons.

Not relearn, continue to advance. I think we thought the job was done (some of this is speculation as I am only 51). Also as we made changes, as always is the case with change, there were some unintended consequences never addressed. We gave folks freedom w/o opportunity. And we are paying for it. When it did not work our first go to instead of fixing the root issue was stop and frisk. It is intellectually dishonest to deny the drug and crime issue, a family structure issue, an absent father issue in the black community. But what we have traditionally done is 1. Blame the victim 2. Excuse it or pretend it does not exist. What we NEED to do is look at the root causes, how we got here before we decide how to solve it.

You can't change a collective psyche overnight, and we have not even tried IMO. Oh yeah we started the Negro College Fund, and some affirmative action, but really what have we done to give equal opportunity? And when you lift up the bottom you lift the whole boat. It comes back to the myth of scarcity. If I give it to you I won't get it myself.

I would like some conversation about DATA driven solutions. We know education is the ticket out. Ok but is throwing money at it w/o solving the family support needs gonna work, nope. It will need to be a whole of the person approach IMO. And it will take money, good luck with that. I don't think it is fair that my kids go to a school that is so good it might as well be private when they already have opportunity while a black kid who needs the shot is stuck in a title 1 school. B/C of costs I am all for school choice pegged to graduation rates for funding. We need some innovation, and however we can get kids into college or tech schools is good by me.

But we also need mentors, community centers (data that this WORKS and is way cheaper than prison), healthcare...and that too...I am a nurse, WHY are teen girls who are sexually active using pills with side effects or nothing instead of an IUD which is safer and requires no thought? Lack of resources and education which is the DUMBEST! And iud costs 700-1000 but lasts five years, so less than pills in the long run. A pregnancy and child cost... You should be able to walk into any planned parenthood office in the country and get a free IUD no questions asked at any age where you can be sexually active IMO. That is not just fiscally sound, it is humanly sound. And we need commercials that talk about birth control options as a public health service, controversial I know and I invite discussion.

All I can tell you is that every other president in the last 100+ years would have gone to pay respects to a congressman of Lewis' standing. Very disappointing, but hardly surprising.

The only thing that will make the presidential race close is voter suppression. His lack of tact is an insurmountable flaw.

He will be an asterisk in the history books.

Interestingly there doesn’t seem to be another thread on the 1st page to put this
    Kid’s got guts

Thank you for posting this! It made me cry in pain and joy at the end. I am a person of faith and whether you are or not, I think God dropped this for me to share with some church friends that while well meaning, do not get it. Really, thank you!

He wrote a letter to be printed in the NYT on the day of his homegoing.

Though I may not be here with you, I urge you to answer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe. In my life I have done all I can to demonstrate that the way of peace, the way of love and nonviolence is the more excellent way. Now it is your turn to let freedom ring.

When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide.

Truly a wonderful man and a terrible loss to the country.

All I can tell you is that every other president in the last 100+ years would have gone to pay respects to a congressman of Lewis' standing. Very disappointing, but hardly surprising.
    I imagine that the Lewis family asked him not to come.
    Trump going would do nothing but detract from the ceremony being about Lewis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom