Possible Federal Government Shutdown (Revised Title) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Congress continues to negotiate on a massive funding bill that will include a new round of Covid relief. Current funding expires tonight (12/18) at midnight. No new temporary resolution has been passed in either house as of noon.

Then, of course, there's the President, who would have to sign either a new funding bill or a continuing resolution to keep the government in operation. Trump has tweeted that he would veto a large omnibus bill that didn't revise Section 230 (of the Communications Decency Act). A group of House Republicans have written to encourage Trump to veto any omnibus bill. And then there's the question of whether Trump would shut the government down out of some perceived advantage (or spite) relating to the transition.

Congress continues to negotiate on a massive funding bill that will include a new round of Covid relief. Current funding expires tonight (12/18) at midnight. No new temporary resolution has been passed in either house as of noon.

Then, of course, there's the President, who would have to sign either a new funding bill or a continuing resolution to keep the government in operation. Trump has tweeted that he would veto a large omnibus bill that didn't revise Section 230 (of the Communications Decency Act). A group of House Republicans have written to encourage Trump to veto any omnibus bill. And then there's the question of whether Trump would shut the government down out of some perceived advantage (or spite) relating to the transition.

Pettiness
    Spite
    Still hiding with this tail between his legs and just refusing to go sign

Pick your poison

Finally, something I can agree with Trump on. He's demanding higher stimulus payments and thinks $600 is hardly enough. He's right on that, even if for the wrong reasons. $600 is less than 1/4 of my monthly rent. For people who are literally months behind their rent, they're about to lose protection when Jan 1 hits. Both landlords and renters are about to get hit hard in the new year. This bill doesn't really address that as far as I can tell. People who need a hand during this should be getting some sort of living wage until they can find work.

Finally, something I can agree with Trump on. He's demanding higher stimulus payments and thinks $600 is hardly enough. He's right on that, even if for the wrong reasons. $600 is less than 1/4 of my monthly rent. For people who are literally months behind their rent, they're about to lose protection when Jan 1 hits. Both landlords and renters are about to get hit hard in the new year. This bill doesn't really address that as far as I can tell. People who need a hand during this should be getting some sort of living wage until they can find work.

I 100% believe Trump is going to run in 2024 now. This move makes sense if your eyeing 2024 run.

"Bernie only got you 600 dollars until I came along, and made sure everyone got 4k. You know I wanted to pass a stimulus bill way before the election but that horrible Nancy Pelosi blocked us from helping the American people."

So if Trump refuses to sign the bill, the government will now shut down Dec. 28. Merry Christmas everyone!

You are correct, but the government would still shut down on the 28th until the bill becomes law wouldn’t it? If he vetoes it, which he didn’t yet say he would do, they they have to override it or start over.

I'm not sure that I agree with increasing the amounts, but Trump doesn't deserve much credit for negotiating in bad faith, because it was Mnuchin that proposed $600. Democrats have wanted more all along, while Republicans have insisted on less.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that things this is posturing by Trump. Basically he is asking the republicans "are you with me or the republican party". I don't think there is enough support by republicans to change their minds (I read someone blocked even $1200) I mean they COULD just take some of the billions they're about to give to the wealthy and give it to common folk instead, but naaa

You are correct, but the government would still shut down on the 28th until the bill becomes law wouldn’t it? If he vetoes it, which he didn’t yet say he would do, they they have to override it or start over.

Now I am confused, because I have also seen people saying if he just ignores it and doesn’t sign it that is considered a pocket veto. Maybe because this Congress will adjourn before the 10th day? And then a new Congress will have to start over?

Now I am confused, because I have also seen people saying if he just ignores it and doesn’t sign it that is considered a pocket veto. Maybe because this Congress will adjourn before the 10th day? And then a new Congress will have to start over?

Apparently it's a result of the Constitution's veto language - normally if the president takes no action on a bi-camerally passed bill in the 10-day veto period, it becomes law. But it basically becomes void if Congress is adjourned at the end of the 10-days. Congress usually avoids this result for scheduled adjourned periods by appointing an agent to receive a return of veto, but Congress cannot do that in the few days between one Congress to the next (because basically there is no Congress during that short period of time).

Congress could still opt to pass a short-term continuing resolution (perhaps Monday evening) to avoid shutdown, but the president would have to sign it. He has been signing them to date.

This will be the first veto override for Trump. Crazy that he never had one.
    Not crazy at all, McConnell will not put anything up for vote unless it has already been cleared by the WH, this is how Democracy works now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom