Other party candidates and ranked choice voting (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

LA - L.A.

Reaction score
    Does anyone know much about Libertarian candidate Jo Jorgensen? I can't find much on him her. Does anyone know much about him her and his her platform?

EDITED: thread title to include discussion on any other party candidates, to vote or note vote for other party candidates, and ranked choice balloting. Those issues have been raised in this thread and I think they are important things to discuss.

Last edited:
    I just read about this happening in Alaska, it is slightly different:

There will be no party primary in the new system. All candidates of all parties will run against one another in the Aug. 16 primary contest. The primary will not be a ranked-choice election. The top four vote getters will proceed to the Nov. 8 general election, a new system known as “final four” voting.

Only then, in the fall election, will ranked-choice voting — also known as instant-runoff voting — be implemented. Under ranked choice, voters are asked to list candidates in order of preference. Candidates are then gradually eliminated, and votes are reallocated to the next person on the list. This continues until one candidate secures over 50 percent of the vote.

This new system passed, narrowly, by voter referendum in 2020. It is intended to make the final choice of the voters more representative of the state. The hope is that it will reduce the grip that the most intense partisans on each side of the political spectrum exercise on U.S. elections through closed party primaries, followed by plurality winners in general elections.

I just read about this happening in Alaska, it is slightly different:

There will be no party primary in the new system. All candidates of all parties will run against one another in the Aug. 16 primary contest. The primary will not be a ranked-choice election. The top four vote getters will proceed to the Nov. 8 general election, a new system known as “final four” voting.

Only then, in the fall election, will ranked-choice voting — also known as instant-runoff voting — be implemented. Under ranked choice, voters are asked to list candidates in order of preference. Candidates are then gradually eliminated, and votes are reallocated to the next person on the list. This continues until one candidate secures over 50 percent of the vote.

This new system passed, narrowly, by voter referendum in 2020. It is intended to make the final choice of the voters more representative of the state. The hope is that it will reduce the grip that the most intense partisans on each side of the political spectrum exercise on U.S. elections through closed party primaries, followed by plurality winners in general elections.
    I'm going to put my thumbs up on that one, but extend a remark about that systems probable effect. I think it will slightly advantage the side with the conservative outlook.

It will be fair but that doesn't mean fair leans always to the left.

The current California system is kind of half way there. The primary system is the same as that but only the two two get on the November ballot. I would top four is better balanced than three for a two party system.

I worry about ranked voting part because I think people will not understand the full complications of it, so then they will be acting like children that play with Donald Trump, they'll say it was cheating.

If there was ever a state to try something risky out though, Alaska is the place to build the practice range. If something political gets broken there I doubt it will even ripple here.

And it's not like it is something that will melt ice.

I read there are 48 people running!

Six Democrats, 16 Republicans, two libertarians and 24 unaligned or independent candidates. The top 4 advance to the next round so to speak. Going to be interesting to see how this unfolds

Multiple combat veterans are running. Multiple members of Don Young's inner circle are running. Multiple Indigenous leaders are running, and any would be the first Native member of the state's congressional delegation. The man Young defeated to first take the seat in 1973 is running again, at 89 years old.

Sarah Palin is running, though many Alaskans would rather she weren't.

A man named Santa Claus is running.

One bottom-tier candidate's stance on abortion rights hinges on reversible vasectomies for "sperm creators." Another lives in a remote town of five people and in 2017 pleaded guilty to threatening to assault employees of the Bureau of Land Management, because, he says, they were obstructing his mining ambitions.

Last edited:
    We mostly do ranked choice voting here and to ensure that all have representation we have 2 level of representatives

Direct representatives and suplemental representatives

We have election districts where the candidate with the most votes will be elected as a direct member of parliment
    All districts then is a part of a larger geographic area usually comprising of 10-12 districts. To ensure fair representation a number of suplemental representatives are then elected based on the overall party votes. Say one party get 60% of the votes and takes all but one district and the other gets 40% and takes one district. Then the second party will get most of the supplemental representativs bringing the total distribution of parlimental seats as close to 60/40 as possible.

The great irony is that Europe has been doing democracy far better than the U.S. since government-by-monarchy ceased being a thing. The Framers ended up making a government that facilitates a two-party monopoly and gives laughable amounts of power to certain states via the Senate. Of course, they couldn't have foreseen the mass number of small population states that were added past the 18th century.

The great irony is that Europe has been doing democracy far better than the U.S. since government-by-monarchy ceased being a thing. The Framers ended up making a government that facilitates a two-party monopoly and gives laughable amounts of power to certain states via the Senate. Of course, they couldn't have foreseen the mass number of small population states that were added past the 18th century.
    I do find it odd that people say that the Republican Party has been overthrown by Trump and MAGA, and in the next breath they say “a 3rd party isn’t a viable option.”

Make it make sense. Do you want to deal with MAGA and Trump for the next few election cycles, or do you want to phase them out? Have all the moderate republicans move to a new 3rd party, and let the former party go the way of the Wig Party IMHO.

I do find it odd that people say that the Republican Party has been overthrown by Trump and MAGA, and in the next breath they say “a 3rd party isn’t a viable option.”

Make it make sense. Do you want to deal with MAGA and Trump for the next few election cycles, or do you want to phase them out? Have all the moderate republicans move to a new 3rd party, and let the former party go the way of the Wig Party IMHO.
    The problem is there simply isn't enough of them. How many current GOP members of the House and Senate (that haven't already lost their primaries) openly oppose Trump? Or, at the very least, don't grovel before him?

Ranked Choice Voting would help cure the ills of our broken system, but unfortunately that's going to be the next thing the MAGA crowd rails against a la election fraud.

I find it odd, that there aren’t more sane Republicans….the MAGA crowd isn’t going anywhere, they will prop some other cult leader up soon enough…..I’m certainly not against a 3rd party that takes votes away form the MAGA cult…..

I find it odd, that there aren’t more sane Republicans….the MAGA crowd isn’t going anywhere, they will prop some other cult leader up soon enough…..I’m certainly not against a 3rd party that takes votes away form the MAGA cult…..
    I would prefer that the Republicans who cant stand the MAGA crowd vote for Democrats for a change. They can vote for Democrats until they get their party back. If they do that they will get their party back.

However once they got used to doing that maybe some of them would decide stay on even after their party returned to something more normal.

I would prefer that the Republicans who cant stand the MAGA crowd vote for Democrats for a change. They can vote for Democrats until they get their party back. If they do that they will get their party back.

However once they got used to doing that maybe some of them would decide stay on even after their party returned to something more normal.

I would also, to be sure. But way too many of them won’t do that….hopefully that changes, we will see soon enough….

an update

Two Alaska moderates, GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski and Democratic Rep. Mary Peltola, won reelection Wednesday over two challengers backed by former President Donald Trump, thanks to the state’s ranked-choice-voting system, which allowed them to prevail without winning a majority of the vote.

Murkowski repelled Trump-backed Republican Kelly Tshibaka, less than two years after Murkowski voted for conviction in Trump’s impeachment trial.

Peltola, meanwhile, beat former Gov. Sarah Palin, another Trump-endorsed candidate, by a wider margin than her victory in the Aug. 19 special election that first sent Peltola to Congress.

Came across this while searching for something else. Doesn't surprise me how backwards some states are

During Wednesday’s Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee, Sen. Blake Miguez, R-New Iberia, presented Senate Bill 101, which would prohibit any use of ranked choice voting in Louisiana. Miguez called it a complex, confusing system that has resulted in thousands of “trashed ballots” in elections in Alaska and Maine, the only two states that currently use rank choice for statewide and federal elections.

Democrats on the committee allowed Miguez’s claims to go unchecked and his bill to pass without objection. No one questioned where his data came from or probed his claims of “trashed ballots.”

What little discussion took place included an admission from Sen. Gary Carter, D-New Orleans, who said he had never before heard of ranked choice voting. The apparent lack of interest from other members continued even after it was revealed that Louisiana has long used ranked choice voting for its military overseas ballots.

Came across this while searching for something else. Doesn't surprise me how backwards some states are

During Wednesday’s Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee, Sen. Blake Miguez, R-New Iberia, presented Senate Bill 101, which would prohibit any use of ranked choice voting in Louisiana. Miguez called it a complex, confusing system that has resulted in thousands of “trashed ballots” in elections in Alaska and Maine, the only two states that currently use rank choice for statewide and federal elections.

Democrats on the committee allowed Miguez’s claims to go unchecked and his bill to pass without objection. No one questioned where his data came from or probed his claims of “trashed ballots.”

What little discussion took place included an admission from Sen. Gary Carter, D-New Orleans, who said he had never before heard of ranked choice voting. The apparent lack of interest from other members continued even after it was revealed that Louisiana has long used ranked choice voting for its military overseas ballots.
    Doesn't surprise me that the Dems are totally ignorant of a tool that can help them win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom