Official: Haiti President Jovenel Moïse assassinated at home (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

wardorican

Reaction score
    It should probably be under "world politics", but since things are politically quiet overall, here we go.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Gunmen assassinated Haitian President Jovenel Moïse and wounded his wife in their home early Wednesday, inflicting more chaos on the unstable Caribbean country that was already enduring an escalation of gang violence, anti-government protests and a recent surge in coronavirus infections.

Claude Joseph, the interim prime minister, confirmed the killing and said the police and military were in control of security in Haiti, where a history of dictatorship and political upheaval have long stymied the consolidation of democratic rule.

While the streets of the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, were quiet Wednesday morning, some people ransacked businesses in one area. The country appeared to be heading for fresh uncertainty ahead of planned general elections later this year. Moïse, 53, had been ruling by decree for more than a year after the country failed to hold elections and the opposition demanded he step down in recent months.

I don't know what to make of it as I'm not at all familiar with their politics or what happens after this.
    This article from the BBC gives a little more info.

Overall, it's just abhorrent, even if there was a dispute about when his leadership was supposed to end, and other election issues.

The most troubling aspect to me so far, I mean besides that it happened at all, is the report that the group of men were extremely well armed, seemed professional and spoke English and Spanish (most Haitians speak French or Creole). Seems to indicate it was done by foreign actors.

Probably unrelated, but wouldn’t be surprised if we find out that was the assassin team.

Whoever did it was trying to set it up to look like we were involved. I don’t see any reason how the US government would benefit from this though.

There were quite a few important vacancies in their government before this. Their chief judge died from covid not long ago, and the PMs replacement was supposed to be sworn in today.

The timing looks deliberate.

Just reported on TV that rumors are circulating that the men identified themselves as US DEA agents to gain entry. I don‘t see that the US had a reason to pull this off, though, especially in such a bold way. They interviewed a Haitian who said that the men were no doubt posing as American agents in order to gain trust. 🤷‍♀️

So the Columbians appear to be mercenaries. Which begs the question, who paid?

So the Columbians appear to be mercenaries. Which begs the question, who paid?

I would guess his political opponents. But that's a pretty large group of mercenaries to pull that off without anyone getting wind of it until the deed was done. I wonder who did pay them as well tho. I know next to nothing about the Haiti situation, so I'm curious to see what the experts say about it.

Looks like the Haitian government is using the assassination as an excuse to round up undesirables. Or maybe the Haitian police is the bestest police force ever.

Looks like the Haitian government is using the assassination as an excuse to round up undesirables. Or maybe the Haitian police is the bestest police force ever.
    You mean these guys:

Emblem_Tonton_Macoute.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom