New member first post (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

So, here is a weird thing.

A lot of people all say they like him. So... how come that doesn't translate to the polls?

I think for the same reason third party voting never translates at the poles. The simple reality is that the vast majority of voters are far less tuned into the situation and far less likely to have a strong opinion that they've decided on themselves than those who are 1) online at all, 2) posting in a forum, and 3) posting in a political forum. Essentially, internet forums turn into echo chambers, even if they are diverse, and while a number of us may like Mayor Pete, the fact is that he's not a front runner (which also makes him not a lightning rod for the right). That means the bulk of America has never heard of him, regardless of where they fall politically.

My personal opinion, based on more anecdotal experiences than I'd care to acknowledge, is that there is a not insignificant portion of the electorate (especially the older electorate in general and the older female electorate in particular) that is happy to vote based on things like position on the ballot, gender, who their spouse told them to vote for, name recognition, or which candidate's name they like best if there is no name recognition. Add this to the people who vote based solely on party affiliation without any knowledge of the candidates or issues, and I think it adds up to a very sizeable chunk of the electorate.

Well, the answer to that is to drive up voter participation, I think. We need to quit letting 20-25% of the voting population have all the say. We need everyone to vote.

Also, trust me when I say this, suburban women are not “going back to Trump”. Not ever.

Well, the answer to that is to drive up voter participation, I think. We need to quit letting 20-25% of the voting population have all the say. We need everyone to vote.

Also, trust me when I say this, suburban women are not “going back to Trump”. Not ever.

What if they are older and their husband tells them to?

I don't know who you hang around with, but my suburban wife and all her suburban lady friends would like to disagree with you. Give them a better alternative than the Democratic frontrunners or they all say they will vote for Trump in 2020. By the way, some of them didn't even vote for Trump in 2016 but say they will do so next year if the Dems nominate Biden, Warren, or Sanders.

I don't know who you hang around with, but my suburban wife and all her suburban lady friends would like to disagree with you. Give them a better alternative than the Democratic frontrunners or they all say they will vote for Trump in 2020. By the way, some of them didn't even vote for Trump in 2016 but say they will do so next year if the Dems nominate Biden, Warren, or Sanders.

Thats just as bad as Bernie Bros who voted for Trump out of spite. It's possible they are just saying that when they have no intention of voting Democrat.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that Trump will win again if we can't get him out of office before the election. it doesn't matter how much Warren will wipe the floor with him during the debates. He will take the rhetoric right down into the mud, which is where he is strongest. His followers eat that stuff up. Debating the facts or policies just doesn't work anymore. That is his legacy as president.

Last edited:
    Thats just as bad as Bernie Bros who voted for Trump out of spite. It's possible they are just saying that when they have no intention of voting Democrat.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that Trump will win again if we can't get him out of office before the election. it doesn't matter how much Warren will wipe the floor with him during the debates. To his followers, he is a demigod and will not be easy to defeat. He will take the rhetoric right down into the mud, which is where he is strongest. His followers eat that stuff up. Debating the facts or policies just doesn't work anymore. That is his legacy as president.
    I think you're misreading the mood of the electorate just like the pollsters did in 2016. If you mostly hang around Never-Trumpers I can see how you would feel the way you do. The overwhelming majority of people that have told me they will be voting for Trump in 2020 do not think he's a "demigod" as you state, many don't even like Trump as a person. What they do like is where their households currently stand economically and don't want that to risk that by voting in someone else. They also don't like any of the Democratic frontrunners and see Trump as the lesser of two evils. If you think Trump is going to get re-elected only because of his base of hardcore supporters you're going to be in for a shock next November.

The 2018 midterms suggest that there are a lot more suburban women who will never vote for Trump than those who will. There will always be staunch Trump supporters. I’m not sure why they care to support a man for president who rants and raves like a lunatic both at his rallies and in person. Their choice, though.

There are fewer and fewer women who will be able to vote for him as time goes on, IMO.

The 2018 midterms suggest that there are a lot more suburban women who will never vote for Trump than those who will. There will always be staunch Trump supporters. I’m not sure why they care to support a man for president who rants and raves like a lunatic both at his rallies and in person. Their choice, though.

There are fewer and fewer women who will be able to vote for him as time goes on, IMO.
    Some of those suburban women that voted Democratic in 2018 are now realizing they made a mistake. They thought they were electing Representatives who would actually work on the country's pressing issues like infrastructure, immigration, and healthcare and instead ended up with zealots obsessed with removing Trump from office and nothing getting accomplished legislatively. Many will not make the same mistake twice.

I think you're misreading the mood of the electorate just like the pollsters did in 2016. If you mostly hang around Never-Trumpers I can see how you would feel the way you do. The overwhelming majority of people that have told me they will be voting for Trump in 2020 do not think he's a "demigod" as you state, many don't even like Trump as a person. What they do like is where their households currently stand economically and don't want that to risk that by voting in someone else. They also don't like any of the Democratic frontrunners and see Trump as the lesser of two evils. If you think Trump is going to get re-elected only because of his base of hardcore supporters you're going to be in for a shock next November.
    It's worth considering that we all are misreading the mood of the electorate, because our perceptions are skewed by the people we hang around and interact with. Anyone that supports Trump is mostly going to hang around Trump supporters, so of course the majority of the people they interact with are going to be voting for Trump. It's human nature to hang around with like minded people. It's a mistake for anyone to think that the like minded people they hang around with are representative of the majority of people in each and every state.

Maybe. Like I said Trump will win so I don't know how that would shock me. I will only be shocked if a Dem wins. I will be very happy, but shocked.

Right. And the indications provided by polling and actual elections naturally carry considerably more weight in this kind of discussion than any individual's personal assertions about what groups they're not necessarily part of think.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Warren has been steadily polling higher than Trump (still true by the way). As far as suburban women go, they continue to have high disapproval rates for Trump (e.g. 65% disapproval to 34% approval in a recent Fox News poll), and when asked in that same poll how they'd vote between Elizabeth Warren and Donald Trump, 60% said Warren to 31% for Trump. For women in general, it's 57% for Warren, 33% for Trump. That's only one poll but it's generally a consistent picture across all the polling.

For comparison, 2016 exit polls indicated 54% of women voted for Clinton and 41% voted for Trump. This would indicates Trump is doing worse with women. Not better. Worse.

Last edited:
    Some of those suburban women that voted Democratic in 2018 are now realizing they made a mistake. They thought they were electing Representatives who would actually work on the country's pressing issues like infrastructure, immigration, and healthcare and instead ended up with zealots obsessed with removing Trump from office and nothing getting accomplished legislatively. Many will not make the same mistake twice.

This is simply wrong. The House has literally forwarded hundreds of pieces of legislation to the Senate where they are sitting gathering dust on McConnell’s desk.

Almost every member of the public knows this. Only someone who doesn’t have varied sources for their news believes these falsehoods.

You don’t have to believe me, look it up.

Some of those suburban women that voted Democratic in 2018...
    Some of them may not vote for the Democratic candidate. All indications are the vast majority of them will. All indications are that very few of them will vote for Trump. It's most likely that any of those not willing to vote for the Democratic candidate will simply not vote at all.

Good friend of mine told me about this site and that’s why I’m here. Never tried a political site before we’ll see how it goes. My first question out the gate is one that could happen. Can Elizabeth Warren Beat Trump in a head to head race? Elaborate on why, why not.
    Yes. Unlike most people, she has this ability to get under people's skin in a way that causes them to become unhinged. She's also not going to take a passive approach to Trump's needling. There will be people who will claim she is the one that's unhinged, but those are people who will never vote for her anyway.

She has the ability to motivate people to vote. She comes off as honest and caring. She's also not going to make it about herself. She is everything that Trump is not.

She also doesn't need to attract Trump voters. She just needs to motivate everyone else to go vote.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom