New Allegations of Cover-Up by Cuomo Over Nursing Home Virus Toll (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    In a private conversation, the governor’s top aide admitted that data was withheld on nursing homes, where more than 10,000 New Yorkers have died during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and his administration faced new allegations on Friday that they had covered up the scope of the coronavirus death toll in New York’s nursing homes, after a top aide to the governor admitted that the state had withheld data because it feared an investigation by the Trump Justice Department.

The remarks by the top aide, Melissa DeRosa, made in what was supposed to be a private conference call with Democratic lawmakers, came as a cascading series of news reports and a court order have left Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, scrambling to contain the political fallout over his oversight of nursing homes, where more than 13,000 people have died in the pandemic in the state.

Lawmakers from both parties have called for stripping the governor of the emergency powers that he has exercised during the pandemic, while Republicans have demanded the resignations of top Cuomo administration officials and new federal investigations.

If that wasn't bad enough it appears that the Biden DOJ has dropped the investigation:

During Wednesday’s conference call, DeRosa said it appeared the DOJ was no longer focused on New York’s nursing home deaths.

“All signs point to they are not looking at this, they’ve dropped it,” she said.

“They never formally opened an investigation. They sent a letter asking a number of questions and then we satisfied those questions and it appears that they’re gone.”

If you don't think this would have had an affect on the elections if this had come out before, then I don't know what to tell you, but it clearly would have had an impact.
    I'm not seeing it but I'm open to hearing what you have to say on how and why it could/would have possibly impacted voters decision in the states that swayed the election for Biden.

I'm not seeing it but I'm open to hearing what you have to say on how and why it could/would have possibly impacted voters decision in the states that swayed the election for Biden.

I don't think it would have flipped Trump/Biden, but I'm pretty sure it flips Georgia. Keep in mind that Perdue needed just .03% to get 50% of the vote and avoid a runoff. That difference alone keeps the Senate majority Republican. The lay of the land would look dramatically different in that case.

I don't think it would have flipped Trump/Biden, but I'm pretty sure it flips Georgia. Keep in mind that Perdue needed just .03% to get 50% of the vote and avoid a runoff. That difference alone keeps the Senate majority Republican. The lay of the land would look dramatically different in that case.
    We're talking about Cuomo, governor of NEW YORK right? How would the allegations against Cuomo have impacted the senate race in Georgia? You really lost me here. Can you explain your thinking on how Cuomo's allegations against him might have played a role in either of the two senate seats in GA?

We're talking about Cuomo, governor of NEW YORK right? How would the allegations against Cuomo have impacted the senate race in Georgia? You really lost me here. Can you explain your thinking on how Cuomo's allegations against him might have played a role in either of the two senate seats in GA?

I actually think it does. The reason is that while Cuomo is Governor of NY, he's a well-known Democrat who has been, in a lot of ways, the face of their response to Covid. I think this sort of stuff that Cuomo is dealing with now becomes part of the national debate prior to the elections and maybe causes people to reconsider who they're voting for. .03% is a really thin margin and I think it's quite possible that it would be enough to sway the outcome.

All that said, it's ultimately a theoretical exercise, so there's no way know what would have happened. Just my point of view, that's all.

Let's see.....
    • Was Cuomo running for any office? NO.
    • Would the election results have been different if the accusers had come forward with their information prior to the election? NO.
    • Does Cuomo's coverup of the nursing home situation have any impact to ANY election? NO.
    • Should I find anything suspicious about Cuomo's accusers finally coming forward to make their allegations almost 4 months after the election in which Cuomo was not up for reelection in nor running for any elected office? NO.
    So in summary, I find the fact that Cuomo's accusers are coming out now as opposed to prior to the election considerably less suspicious than I do someone from the UK using yards as a measurement rather than meters.
    And yet.. it may well have distracted from the narrative that Trump was solely responsible for Covid deaths ? It would have 'muddied the waters', with Cuomo being a Democrat, and having a brother who was flagrantly anti-Trump on CNN.

Well, it's water under the bridge anyway. But yes.. it WOULD have had a potentially had an impact on the election, no matter which Yardstick you use.

It's plausible that if the MSM had noticed or perhaps put greater focus earlier on Cuomo's nursing-home Covid-19 deaths being deliberately underreported and how his brother's anti-Trump, on-air brotherly love crap last summer shtick made him and network he employs embarrassed and pathetic in hindsight. Chris Cuomo, whether he admits it or likes it or not, sort of has created this high-minded, extremely ethical voice for truth, transparency, and honesty in terms of media reporting on politicians, and for the past couple of years, he's sort of created this image of him having this choir-boy clean image of responsible, "objective-minded" ethics which he sort of transferred or implied on to his brother in terms of want the MSM believed he was doing this "great job" when in reality, he was just far more capable and clever, and more experienced in hiding and covering-up positive Covid-19 cases and deaths than Ron Desantis was in Florida.

It's likely some GOP strategists wouldve used this hypocrisy of superior ethics, claims of transparency in state and federal government and more honest leadership as a deflectionary argument saying that most major national Dems aren't much better then what they accuse Republicans of doing and while I agree, it likely doesn't change the course of outcome of Biden/Trump, Purdue does win re-election but in the other Ga. runoff, Loeffler wasn't going to win Warnock had a near 2.0 % lead over her during the first election, and even if the during the two-month interim runoff campaign period, the amount of Dems fund-raising, campaigning, voter-registration drives and celebrity endorsements and speeches wouldve still run circles around their GOP counterparts because essentially, President Trump hijacked both GOP Ga. senators runoff races and instead of telling voters to come out and vote for why they should re-elect Loeffler and Perdue, he said it was just a waste of their time, the races.themselves were fixed and pre-determined and not to vote.

How many times, Dave, did we see Trump travel to Ga. during that two-month runoff period and make those campaign spots just grievance sessions spouting off blatantly unproven voter-fraud conspiracy charges and how some invisible, deep state cabal worked to get rid of him and after a while the crowds themselves forget their reasons for coming to these rallies? Loeffler and Perdue could've tried or pleaded with Trump to politely fork off and let try and resume their attempts to reach their bases leading up the runoffs, but it likely just wouldve encouraged his worst anti-social tendencies to deliberately sabotage their chances anyway and both candidates also echoed their support of most of Trump's baseless, inane comments.

Both Loeffler and Perdue were trying to win reelection with a huge, bloated Agent Orange corpse shackled on their backs who insisted their campaign speeches and appearances should be more about him complaining why he thought he didnt lose instead of allowing them the opportunities to tell voters why they should keep their seats.

Remember when “conservatives” on this board complained about every thread being about Trump? Peppridge farm remembers.

Remember when “conservatives” on this board complained about every thread being about Trump? Peppridge farm remembers.
    I think Pepperidge Farm may also remember those times I said I hated their chocolate-filled Milato cookies and to try and intimidate and silence me, they'd try and concoct some elaborate story where they accuse of running over some hooker near the Super dome late one night after a Saints game, that I literally and figuratively shirt my pants after it occurred and disposed the now-deceased hooker in a remote part into Lake Ponchatrain.

Now, that's complete bullshirt and I'd welcome any and all attempts by Pepperidge Farms to try and remember or convince any jury to believe any of this same deluded, fantastical fantasy.

BTW, I still do kind of like Pepperidge Farms every once in a few years or so along with some very nice, cold 24-ounced Coke instead of New England-style lemonade.

I think Pepperidge Farm may also remember those times I said I hated their chocolate-filled Milato cookies and to try and intimidate and silence me, they'd try and concoct some elaborate story where they accuse of running over some hooker near the Super dome late one night after a Saints game, that I literally and figuratively shirt my pants after it occurred and disposed the now-deceased hooker in a remote part into Lake Ponchatrain.

Now, that's complete bullshirt and I'd welcome any and all attempts by Pepperidge Farms to try and remember or convince any jury to believe any of this same deluded, fantastical fantasy.

BTW, I still do kind of like Pepperidge Farms every once in a few years or so along with some very nice, cold 24-ounced Coke instead of New England-style lemonade.

I agree.

Sometimes, its good to engage in a little humor, albeit in a self-deprecating masochistic sort of way, Reb. I think this country certainly needs a higher, more informed level of leadership, with less episodes of frightening melodrama, authoritian political tendencies and more effective, decisive leadership undaunted and undeterred from making rational decisions that saves millions of Americans lives fully vaccinating them and establishing then constructing a blueprint for long-term economic recovery.

I think, as historians, considering the vast, deep trauma, sense of loss suffered from half a million Americans who've died so far from this novel Coronavirus 19 and counting, we should do a more extensive, through set of academic studies on the 1918-1920 H1N1 "Spanish Flu" pandemic that has gained greater prominence, focus, and perspective in light of what's occurred for nearly a year now. Strangely enough, one of the last places affected globally by the H1N1 virus was in Australia/New Zealand in 1920 but by then the virus overall potency, virulent strength had decreased and the amount of recorded cases and deaths were some of the lowest in the world, as far as I'm aware.
    Then again, Oceania as a geographical region was still one of the more isolated, distant and remote parts of the world a century ago and hadn't completely made their full transition yet from British-dependent Crown colonies to Commonwealth countries like South Africa, Canada would become by 1931's Treaty of Westminster Act.

And yet.. it may well have distracted from the narrative that Trump was solely responsible for Covid deaths ?
    Seems unlikely, what with that not being the narrative in the first place.

Trump is responsible, yes, definitely. Even ultimately responsible in a 'the buck stops here' sense, sure.

But solely responsible, no, obviously not. Pointing out that other people also bear responsibility does nothing to detract from Trump's own responsibility. Cuomo carrying responsibility at the level of governor of New York doesn't distract from Trump's glaring failures as President any more than DeSantis's failures as governor of Florida do.

Why is it, instead of simply accepting that Trump carries responsibility for unnecessary Covid deaths and that the narrative that says he does is completely reasonable, you instead have to do the ludicrous straw man thing of changing the correct 'responsible' to the ludicrous 'solely responsible'?

Anyway, I have to agree with @Saintamaniac. I just can't see the notion that meaningful numbers of Georgia voters would have been significantly affected by this. Just on a fundamental level, anyone who cared enough about this - the allegations against and failures of a governor of a different state - to take it into account in the first place is also going to be the kind of person who is going to be giving a lot more weight to the greater allegations and greater failures of a President, which are far more connected to the candidates who directly supported him.

Seems unlikely, what with that not being the narrative in the first place.

Trump is responsible, yes, definitely. Even ultimately responsible in a 'the buck stops here' sense, sure.

But solely responsible, no, obviously not. Pointing out that other people also bear responsibility does nothing to detract from Trump's own responsibility. Cuomo carrying responsibility at the level of governor of New York doesn't distract from Trump's glaring failures as President any more than DeSantis's failures as governor of Florida do.

Why is it, instead of simply accepting that Trump carries responsibility for unnecessary Covid deaths and that the narrative that says he does is completely reasonable, you instead have to do the ludicrous straw man thing of changing the correct 'responsible' to the ludicrous 'solely responsible'?

Anyway, I have to agree with @Saintamaniac. I just can't see the notion that meaningful numbers of Georgia voters would have been significantly affected by this. Just on a fundamental level, anyone who cared enough about this - the allegations against and failures of a governor of a different state - to take it into account in the first place is also going to be the kind of person who is going to be giving a lot more weight to the greater allegations and greater failures of a President, which are far more connected to the candidates who directly supported him.
    I think those, who contend like me, that Trump's incessant need for attention plus his malignant narcissistic sense of adulation to air his public grievances against the warped notion that the election was "stolen" from him, the final results were illegitimate, and subject to mass, unproven allegations of voter fraud, this vast, "Invisible Empire" Illuminati secret worldwide organization was conspiring against him, this endless spiel went on and on at both GOP senators runoff campaign speeches. His hold over the Republican Party and the very real fear he might blow up their reelection chances if they privately told him to fork off by telling their base(his base, really), meant that Loeffler and Perdue werent really allowed to campaign on their own merits to try and win relection in two, vital Senate seats that would determine who essentially controlled policy decisions in D.C.

Trump made it entirely about him whenever he showed up ever more frequently at "supposed campaign stops" in Georgia from early November-early January and more then a few people got the impression, "Was he really there to push his endorsement of those Senate incumbents or is he there just to make large, outdoor grievance sessions?

How could anyone reasonable expect two incumbent Senators fighting for their political futures to campaign on why state voters should vote for them when the leader of their party increasingly sabotages their efforts? That's an easily identifiable reason that can't be ignored or overlooked as to why Ga. voters tuned out and turned up to give Warnock and Ossoff those Senate seats. Donald Trump's incessant, maniacal need for attention was the Dems best, most effective campaign strategy and to show Trump's further idiocy for forgetting the plot, he privately told WH staffers days after the runoffs he was glad Loeffler and Perdue lost because he felt they failed to convincingly show enough deep-seated, unquestioned loyalty and dedication to him or his hardcore base to come out in large numbers to vote for them.

Man, we are about to witness one of the biggest differences between Republicans and Democrats in the current environment, political consequences. Cuomo is going to end up resigning. The media is tearing him up and it has now come out that he threatened a Democrat lawmaker over investigations into the nursing home deaths.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

And he should be done. I don't mean to downplay the horrific potential of covering up COVID deaths as that is an entire matter, but the way he treated women, if true, is pretty disgusting and he should resign if there's truth to it. It's just clockwork, folks with more power just have a higher propensity to act in such a way. I wish that wasn't the case.

And he should be done. I don't mean to downplay the horrific potential of covering up COVID deaths as that is an entire matter, but the way he treated women, if true, is pretty disgusting and he should resign if there's truth to it. It's just clockwork, folks with more power just have a higher propensity to act in such a way. I wish that wasn't the case.

I agree, sorta. I wouldn't necessarily say they have a higher propensity for it, as much as it's a lot harder for them to get away with it than someone who isn't under much, if any, scrutiny.

Powerful people can certainly be more brazen if they're never told no though.

Cuomo should be toast though. 3 women accusing him is 3 women too many. The covering up of the Covid deaths numbers is terrible as well. Can't trust anything he says any longer.

Certainly the media was hyping Cuomo; but the nature of the media -- regardless of political bent -- is to promote salacious headlines because that's what gets viewers. In any event...

If the Cuomo story is revealing anything it's that, in this case at least, Democrats have rightfully turned to reject him while the GOP is still the party of Trump despite an attack on this nation that Osama Bin Laden would have been thrilled to perpetrate.

Perhaps wholly by coincidence, this thread's author appears to have abandoned it over two weeks ago -- roughly around the same time that the mainstream media and Democrats began to reject Cuomo.

Certainly the media was hyping Cuomo; but the nature of the media -- regardless of political bent -- is to promote salacious headlines because that's what gets viewers. In any event...

If the Cuomo story is revealing anything it's that, in this case at least, Democrats have rightfully turned to reject him while the GOP is still the party of Trump despite an attack on this nation that Osama Bin Laden would have been thrilled to perpetrate.

Perhaps wholly by coincidence, this thread's author appears to have abandoned it over two weeks ago -- roughly around the same time that the mainstream media and Democrats began to reject Cuomo.

Pretty much. The tired "both sides" refrain simply falls apart here. Trump has done far worse than Cuomo, yet Cuomo is the one being held to account by his own party. This hasn't come close to happening to Trump. I don't know if that tells us more about Trump or about the Republican party that they willfully ignore Trump's shenanigans, while simultaneously criticizing Cuomo. Hypocrisy knows no bounds in this case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom