New Allegations of Cover-Up by Cuomo Over Nursing Home Virus Toll (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    In a private conversation, the governor’s top aide admitted that data was withheld on nursing homes, where more than 10,000 New Yorkers have died during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and his administration faced new allegations on Friday that they had covered up the scope of the coronavirus death toll in New York’s nursing homes, after a top aide to the governor admitted that the state had withheld data because it feared an investigation by the Trump Justice Department.

The remarks by the top aide, Melissa DeRosa, made in what was supposed to be a private conference call with Democratic lawmakers, came as a cascading series of news reports and a court order have left Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, scrambling to contain the political fallout over his oversight of nursing homes, where more than 13,000 people have died in the pandemic in the state.

Lawmakers from both parties have called for stripping the governor of the emergency powers that he has exercised during the pandemic, while Republicans have demanded the resignations of top Cuomo administration officials and new federal investigations.

If that wasn't bad enough it appears that the Biden DOJ has dropped the investigation:

During Wednesday’s conference call, DeRosa said it appeared the DOJ was no longer focused on New York’s nursing home deaths.

“All signs point to they are not looking at this, they’ve dropped it,” she said.

“They never formally opened an investigation. They sent a letter asking a number of questions and then we satisfied those questions and it appears that they’re gone.”

Yes, it’s terrible, but what jurisdiction would the Feds have in this state case?

Yes, it’s terrible, but what jurisdiction would the Feds have in this state case?

If they failed to report accurate numbers to the Feds, I would think that falls under that jurisdiction. That said, I'm not exactly sure how a state can be held accountable for false reporting.

If they failed to report accurate numbers to the Feds, I would think that falls under that jurisdiction. That said, I'm not exactly sure how a state can be held accountable for false reporting.

we can look to the FL governor doing the same thing.

Yeah, I don’t think a failure in reporting accurate numbers to the CDC during the opening days of the pandemic would qualify as a criminal matter to be looked into by the DOJ. This would seem to me to be a state matter, but I will admit I haven’t looked really closely at it.

Yeah, I don’t think a failure in reporting accurate numbers to the CDC during the opening days of the pandemic would qualify as a criminal matter to be looked into by the DOJ. This would seem to me to be a state matter, but I will admit I haven’t looked really closely at it.

Well, that was sort of my point. I don't think it's necessarily criminal, but state funding could potentially be withheld if they're not in compliance with federal regulations. I'm not sure the DOJ is to proper oversight in this matter.

That said, Cuomo has a lot to answer for in his Administration, because, if they indeed did internationally withhold critical data, they could be sued, or face criminal negligence charges in the state for potentially causing the deaths of many more people. I wouldn't be shocked to see some sort of class action attempt vs the state, although I'm not sure it would get anywhere because the state likely has significant protections in events that could be considered emergencies.

Agreed. And, in any case, the NY State legislature was opening investigations into the whole Nursing Home issue. I'm sure this will come up as well, if they are still ongoing. To be honest, I don't follow the day to day of NY state politics.

Seeing that the FBI is now investigating. Which is fine, but you have to wonder why no investigations in Florida, where DeSantis seems to have done similar. The R administration in Indiana just quietly and significantly increased their death count from nursing homes also, but aren’t under investigation.

Seeing that the FBI is now investigating. Which is fine, but you have to wonder why no investigations in Florida, where DeSantis seems to have done similar. The R administration in Indiana just quietly and significantly increased their death count from nursing homes also, but aren’t under investigation.

Again, I'll say the thing that Republicans won't:

If he committed a crime, he should go to jail.

Oh, definitely, brandon. Just pointing out that he certainly wasn’t alone, and that R governors have escaped such scrutiny to this point.

I was under the impression that the State gets their info from the Nursing homes. So, who held what? Also, if it's true that only certain states were asked this, why?

At the end of the day, what the data was meant for matters.

The reality it, real data or hiding this subset of data doesn't matter as much as the fact that there wasn't a good process to protect the most vulnerable.

I'm ok with whatever these investigations find, but without the full context of what happened, I'm not as interested in the data issue as I am on the actual situation with nursing homes.

Tangential; but in Florida, we had seniors die from lack of A/C a few years ago when a Hurricane knocked out power. They weren't even paying attention to them. They could have literally walked them over to the hospital across the street to get A/C or fans. They could have set up in the waiting room.

In a private conversation, the governor’s top aide admitted that data was withheld on nursing homes, where more than 10,000 New Yorkers have died during the pandemic.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and his administration faced new allegations on Friday that they had covered up the scope of the coronavirus death toll in New York’s nursing homes, after a top aide to the governor admitted that the state had withheld data because it feared an investigation by the Trump Justice Department.

The remarks by the top aide, Melissa DeRosa, made in what was supposed to be a private conference call with Democratic lawmakers, came as a cascading series of news reports and a court order have left Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, scrambling to contain the political fallout over his oversight of nursing homes, where more than 13,000 people have died in the pandemic in the state.

Lawmakers from both parties have called for stripping the governor of the emergency powers that he has exercised during the pandemic, while Republicans have demanded the resignations of top Cuomo administration officials and new federal investigations.

If that wasn't bad enough it appears that the Biden DOJ has dropped the investigation:

During Wednesday’s conference call, DeRosa said it appeared the DOJ was no longer focused on New York’s nursing home deaths.

“All signs point to they are not looking at this, they’ve dropped it,” she said.

“They never formally opened an investigation. They sent a letter asking a number of questions and then we satisfied those questions and it appears that they’re gone.”

Cuomo gave "pardons" to big donors from the Nursing Home Industry?

huh.

I was under the impression that the State gets their info from the Nursing homes. So, who held what? Also, if it's true that only certain states were asked this, why?

At the end of the day, what the data was meant for matters.

The reality it, real data or hiding this subset of data doesn't matter as much as the fact that there wasn't a good process to protect the most vulnerable.

I'm ok with whatever these investigations find, but without the full context of what happened, I'm not as interested in the data issue as I am on the actual situation with nursing homes.

Tangential; but in Florida, we had seniors die from lack of A/C a few years ago when a Hurricane knocked out power. They weren't even paying attention to them. They could have literally walked them over to the hospital across the street to get A/C or fans. They could have set up in the waiting room.

Having accurate numbers can go along way in determining where help and resources go. Sending people infected with Covid from hospitals to nursing homes not equipped to handle them was bad enough on it's own, but to then hide the numbers plus a later ongoing cover up? Geez.

Agreed, families of the most vulnerable deserve better. Just terrible that they're still trying to get answers to how and why all this happened.

The media built up Cuomo because he was supposedly so much better than Trump dealing with Covid. The more we learn about the more Cuomo seems very similar to Trump.

I think his book would look good in my fireplace
    20210219_102603.jpg

The media built up Cuomo because he was supposedly so much better than Trump dealing with Covid. The more we learn about the more Cuomo seems very similar to Trump.

I think his book would look good in my fireplace
    20210219_102603.jpg

Its simple for me. If he crossed lines, he should pay. Just like Trump.

The fact remains that Trump absolutely REFUSED to be a leader and coordinate with the States to devise a national plan vs covid. Left every State to fend for themselves. That cannot and will not be overlooked by me. He put some in a very untenable position very early on with absolutely ZERO guidance.

Thats not a leader. Thats a coward. And ill remind you of that each time you post something about some Gov or Mayor who was left to deal with COVID19 on their own.

Its simple for me. If he crossed lines, he should pay. Just like Trump.

The fact remains that Trump absolutely REFUSED to be a leader and coordinate with the States to devise a national plan vs covid. Left every State to fend for themselves. That cannot and will not be overlooked by me. He put some in a very untenable position very early on with absolutely ZERO guidance.

Thats not a leader. Thats a coward. And ill remind you of that each time you post something about some Gov or Mayor who was left to deal with COVID19 on their own.

There actually was guidance put out there by the CDC last summer, but the states and at times the Administration pretty much ignored and even contradicted the guidance given by the CDC. So no, there wasn't zero guidance, but the Administration and other experts from the CDC and other agencies weren't always on the same page.

Also, as much as I hate Trump, and it probably was widow dressing mostly, Trump and the governors did have conference calls to discuss the Covid situation. So there was some coordination. And vaccines were already being deployed at a pretty good clip before Biden took office. So it's not like this all of a sudden started when Biden took office.

Fwiw, some of the governors, both Republicans and Democrats, have handled the Covid crisis terribly, some even criminally. They all should be held accountable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom