Movement against Confederate relics gains broad-based support (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    In the past week, we have seen Nascar move to ban the display of the Confederate flag at sanctioned-races, an effort to rename military bases named after Confederate leaders, and new removals of Confederate monuments.

Unlike the reaction to kneeling during the anthem - which implicated widely-held views about the U.S. flag, patriotism, and the national anthem, it seems that this effort is more focused in that the Confederate flag has no official meaning in the present . . . and has become, like it or not, fully co-opted by genuine racists. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone that supports the flag is a genuine racist, but that soil becomes harder and harder to stand on with each day.

Have we reached the point where the celebration of Confederate relics can be considered effective racism - or is there still a viable argument that it somehow can be distinguished? Of course, choosing to display that flag remains a right under the First Amendment . . . but private organizations, companies, and ndividuals, of course, have their prerogative to reject and ban it should they choose that they wish not to be associated with it in any way.

Last edited:
    The city of Gulfport, Mississippi (my hometown as a kid) just removed the Confederate flag from City Hall. I've heard BSL has done the same, but no confirmation on that yet.

The city of Gulfport, Mississippi (my hometown as a kid) just removed the Confederate flag from City Hall. I've heard BSL has done the same, but no confirmation on that yet.

I heard the same about BSL. My mom and all of my aunts and uncles are either already moved there or in the process of doing so. BSL is kind of New Orleans East East so I could see how they'd be more ready to take this step than other spots of Mississippi.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom