Media Literacy and Fake News (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ayo

Spirit Grocer
    Reaction score
    The Canadian Journalism Federation is taking fake news very seriously. I've worked with media literacy for years, and this is - to date - the most expansively public approach that I've seen, in advance of the Federal Election.

If you are engaged online, you have likely been subjected to something that was not true, and yet there isn't much pursuit in trying to determine factual accuracy of the articles and information. And most of us - probably every single one of us here - have fallen for it.

Recent polling by Ipsos, Earnscliffe Strategy Group and MIT researchers suggests nearly all Canadians have come across misinformation online, yet only 40 per cent feel they know how to differentiate between fake news and the real thing.

The polls also found 90 per cent of Canadians admitted to falling for fake news in the past, and only a third of them regularly check to see if the stories they’re consuming are legitimate.

I don't think that their approach is going to be enough. I think the most effective utility it will have is bringing awareness. But fuller approaches to media literacy are going to be necessary to combat the deluge of increasingly deceptive media. These are hard skills that can be learned, but with the advent of new 'deep fake' technology, media literacy is going to have adapt, too.

I would like to see greater emphasis on media literacy in the US. Because even though this statement is for the Canadian audience, it definitely - maybe even more so - applies to the US where news is more infotainment and sensationalized than it is up here:
    “To be an engaged citizen, you have to have access to quality journalism… you have to understand what is quality journalism and what is not,” said Richard Gingras, vice-president of Google News.

Another source includes one approach - the SPOT approach: https://www.manitoulin.ca/news-media-canada-launches-new-tool-to-help-people-spot-fake-news/

SPOT is an acronym that acts as a simple way to remember the four principles of identifying misinformation. It works like this:
    S: Is this a credible source? Check the source of the article—and be skeptical.
    P: Is the perspective biased? Think critically and look for varying viewpoints on an issue.
    O: Are other sources reporting the same story? Be your own fact-checker and verify the validity of the story.
    T: Is the story timely? Check the date the story was published—sometimes, stories use old information to take advantage of a timely occurrence.

It's obviously not enough, but a decent start.

SFL, who told you that the benefit of wearing the masks is negated by lack of social distancing and close contact? I’m not aware that we know that yet, at least not in any definitive way.

One instance that might argue against your conclusion is the Springfield MO Great Clips exposures. Two hair stylists were actively ill and still came to work, potentially exposing over 140 people. They were not social distancing and they were in close contact for more than 15 minutes in each case, yet nobody who was exposed to them contracted the virus. Had you asked the medical experts, they would not have bet on that outcome, yet here we are.

The theory in operation is that the face coverings worn by everyone may have made this happy outcome possible. So it very well may turn out that face coverings are our ticket out of this mess. Our way to fully open up the economy. Sort of ironic, huh?
    The CDC recommends wearing maks in addition to social distancing. Also the Atlantic article I posted before about mask said that the homeade masks are at best 60% effective. A surgical mask is better, but only the N95 is very effective.

For everyone’s consideration. A thread. I feel like this is extremely accurate and we have all seen this tactic used. A lot.

Media Matters is a vile organization. I know you criticize people when they post things from questionable sources.

As far as the triangles go, is anyone disputing that Antifa uses the upside down triangle?
    20200621_155328.jpg

20200621_155331.png

20200621_155334.png

20200621_155336.jpg

The CDC recommends wearing maks in addition to social distancing. Also the Atlantic article I posted before about mask said that the homeade masks are at best 60% effective. A surgical mask is better, but only the N95 is very effective.

You said that if you wear a mask, but don’t do social distancing, that “negates” wearing the mask. That means it’s just as if you don’t have a mask on at all. This is simply something that nobody else is saying that I’m aware of.

So either show me where you found that or admit it’s just your opinion. Because you are saying something that the CDC doesn’t say.

Media Matters is a vile organization. I know you criticize people when they post things from questionable sources.

As far as the triangles go, is anyone disputing that Antifa uses the upside down triangle?

so I know you didn’t understand the thread, because what you are saying is part of the deal, part of the ploy. It doesn’t do anything to refute the observations in the thread.

Media Matters is a right wing watchdog website, and you are correct if you say they have a slant, in that they only check right wing sites. But they aren’t wrong in what they post, they don’t post made up stories. You saying they are “vile“ is just laughable, really.

From Media Bias Fact Check:

• Overall, we rate Media Matters Left Biased based on selectively checking right-wing sources and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record.

You said that if you wear a mask, but don’t do social distancing, that “negates” wearing the mask. That means it’s just as if you don’t have a mask on at all. This is simply something that nobody else is saying that I’m aware of.

So either show me where you found that or admit it’s just your opinion. Because you are saying something that the CDC doesn’t say.
    If the CDC recommends wearing a mask in addition to social distancing, what do you think would happen if you only do one of those things around people in public?

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
    • You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
    • Everyone should wear a cloth face coverwhen they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
      • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
    • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
    • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
    • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.

Well I cannot believe you are being so obstinate about this. Just admit you misspoke, it happens to everyone.

Let’s go over it again. Yes if you wear a mask plus use social distancing you will have the maximum protection.

However if you only do one of the two it doesn’t negate the other one. The one that you still employ will still offer you some protection. You said it would take away any protection. You may not think that’s what you said, but it is what you said.

Of the two, it’s beginning to look like wearing the mask is the most important of the two, btw. I do follow this stuff pretty closely. 😁

Well I cannot believe you are being so obstinate about this. Just admit you misspoke, it happens to everyone.

Let’s go over it again. Yes if you wear a mask plus use social distancing you will have the maximum protection.

However if you only do one of the two it doesn’t negate the other one. The one that you still employ will still offer you some protection. You said it would take away any protection. You may not think that’s what you said, but it is what you said.

Of the two, it’s beginning to look like wearing the mask is the most important of the two, btw. I do follow this stuff pretty closely. 😁
    You follow it closely, but you weren't aware that the CDC says a mask is not a substitute for social distancing. They are supposed to be done together and the protestors aren't doing both things.

You follow it closely, but you weren't aware that the CDC says a mask is not a substitute for social distancing. They are supposed to be done together and the protestors aren't doing both things.
    Don't recall her saying that a mask is a substitute for physical distancing.

If the CDC recommends wearing a mask in addition to social distancing, what do you think would happen if you only do one of those things around people in public?

you will be less protected than someone who did both. However, you will be more protected than someone who does neither.

what you are saying is that if your doctor recommends treating an illness with a steroid shot and an oral antibiotic...if you don’t take the antibiotic, you won’t get the benefit of the steroid shot.

Color me unsurprised. Choosing to get your information from a station Trump always complains about not "protecting him" or "sticking up for him" when he's cutting fed funding to virus testing in hot spots across the country proves to end up getting you sick, and possibly kills you.

I have no idea who he is, but 200,000 shares is a big problem. Truth is dead and buried.

I have no idea who he is, but 200,000 shares is a big problem. Truth is dead and buried.

Yes it is, for a large segment of the populace. He is an ultra conservative Christian who posts vertical YouTube videos from his phone. He raised money through a GoFundMe 5 or 6 years back for a camera that was way too fancy for simple YouTube videos, then never bought it. Ended up buying two (much) cheaper cameras and probably pocketing the rest, as he refuses to provide any information on what he bought. When asked by a blogger, his only response was to threaten a lawsuit if anyone contradicted him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom