Media Literacy and Fake News (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ayo

Spirit Grocer
    Reaction score
    The Canadian Journalism Federation is taking fake news very seriously. I've worked with media literacy for years, and this is - to date - the most expansively public approach that I've seen, in advance of the Federal Election.

If you are engaged online, you have likely been subjected to something that was not true, and yet there isn't much pursuit in trying to determine factual accuracy of the articles and information. And most of us - probably every single one of us here - have fallen for it.

Recent polling by Ipsos, Earnscliffe Strategy Group and MIT researchers suggests nearly all Canadians have come across misinformation online, yet only 40 per cent feel they know how to differentiate between fake news and the real thing.

The polls also found 90 per cent of Canadians admitted to falling for fake news in the past, and only a third of them regularly check to see if the stories they’re consuming are legitimate.

I don't think that their approach is going to be enough. I think the most effective utility it will have is bringing awareness. But fuller approaches to media literacy are going to be necessary to combat the deluge of increasingly deceptive media. These are hard skills that can be learned, but with the advent of new 'deep fake' technology, media literacy is going to have adapt, too.

I would like to see greater emphasis on media literacy in the US. Because even though this statement is for the Canadian audience, it definitely - maybe even more so - applies to the US where news is more infotainment and sensationalized than it is up here:
    “To be an engaged citizen, you have to have access to quality journalism… you have to understand what is quality journalism and what is not,” said Richard Gingras, vice-president of Google News.

Another source includes one approach - the SPOT approach: https://www.manitoulin.ca/news-media-canada-launches-new-tool-to-help-people-spot-fake-news/

SPOT is an acronym that acts as a simple way to remember the four principles of identifying misinformation. It works like this:
    S: Is this a credible source? Check the source of the article—and be skeptical.
    P: Is the perspective biased? Think critically and look for varying viewpoints on an issue.
    O: Are other sources reporting the same story? Be your own fact-checker and verify the validity of the story.
    T: Is the story timely? Check the date the story was published—sometimes, stories use old information to take advantage of a timely occurrence.

It's obviously not enough, but a decent start.

I f my math is correct..I I'd drunk...

Bottom line... we hav e reached the point the being first to report, surpasses most accurate report.

Thechknowlogy has helped us advance in many ways, while dumbing us DOWN in others.

Techknowlody ma8y seem t9 bring us t9gether... but actually0 takesnfurther apart... it won't be 7ntil we forget techknowlody and walk down the road to meet0 out neighbors that we becoming human again...

In the year 2525

Sadly some people will believe this. But how TF did no one "verify" this?

Also the person who tweeted that tweet that MSNBC was talking about got caught using bad math and doubled down on it

ESRTVbFXcAAVFfk

Sadly she locked her account

Omg people can be so stupid sometimes. He’s all like “that’s an incredible way to put it” - yeah cause it’s obviously wrong!

I f my math is correct..I I'd drunk...

Bottom line... we hav e reached the point the being first to report, surpasses most accurate report.

Thechknowlogy has helped us advance in many ways, while dumbing us DOWN in others.

Techknowlody ma8y seem t9 bring us t9gether... but actually0 takesnfurther apart... it won't be 7ntil we forget techknowlody and walk down the road to meet0 out neighbors that we becoming human again...

In the year 2525
    What?

There are MANY news stories we should be scrupulous about
    Just bc it’s math vs politics doesn’t give us a pass to be more ‘media savvy’ about this

Bush was not named grand marshal.
    Trump's been named grand marshal in advance and CNN chose not to report it.
    That's selective reporting.
    It's really strange that CBS also chose to follow the exact same path as CNN, with a headline that Trump would be the second president to "attend." But it did directly quote Fox about a couple of things:

Mr. Trump will serve as grand marshal at the race and give the signal for drivers to start their engines. Fox News' John Roberts reported that Mr. Trump will take a lap at the race in the "Beast," the presidential limo.

Will he not only be be the first president named as Daytona 500 grand marshal but the first to take a lap in the presidential limo?

Guess if we're interested we'll have to tune in on Sunday to find out, but we wouldn't know to tune in if we only followed CNN.

Of course, those who aren't interested in NASCAR probably won't tune in anyway.
    An important part of media literacy is knowing your target audience.
    When you live on the U.S. Gulf Coast, NASCAR is kind of a big thing.
    Not one of my major interests, but the Daytona 500 is part of how I mark the passing of the season.
    It is selective reporting..... but it is essentially gossip. This does not affect an single one of us. It isnt even political. It really gets filed under, "who cares". This is close to the SR, "No Respkt" crowd.

Sadly some people will believe this. But how TF did no one "verify" this?

Also the person who tweeted that tweet that MSNBC was talking about got caught using bad math and doubled down on it

ESRTVbFXcAAVFfk

Sadly she locked her account

To use their tweet...

Blah blah blah, you're an idiot (the twitter poster)

It is selective reporting..... but it is essentially gossip. This does not affect an single one of us. It isnt even political. It really gets filed under, "who cares". This is close to the SR, "No Respkt" crowd.
    Wrong. It gets filed under "Presidential History."
    Yeah, let's just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. Maybe it'll go away

1583757153020.png

1583757202356.png

Wrong. It gets filed under "Presidential History."
    Yeah, let's just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen. Maybe it'll go away

1583757153020.png

1583757202356.png
    Yeah, we will file the Daytona 500 grand Marshall historical achievement right next to the Emancipation Proclamation....

I didn't know opinions could be wrong.

I never suggested we ignore it. Just that it isn't something that affects us, so it is of little importance.

Yeah, we will file the Daytona 500 grand Marshall historical achievement right next to the Emancipation Proclamation....

I didn't know opinions could be wrong.

I never suggested we ignore it. Just that it isn't something that affects us, so it is of little importance.
    Yeah, filing it under "who cares" isn't the same as ignoring it, but it does reveal contempt for the man and the sport and the event.

1583758344308.png

Yeah, filing it under "who cares" isn't the same as ignoring it, but it does reveal contempt for the man and the sport and the event.
    No. It's trivia. Recognising that a celebrity role at a sporting event is a celebrity role and of little broader importance is placing it in context - an important aspect of media literacy

Whereas declaring it "Presidential History" while also repeatedly putting in photos of it for no credible reason, that's a good example of the kind of thing to watch out for in dubious media attempting to inflate something out of all proportion.

Leftists making people and events "disappear" is as old as Joseph Stalin.
    Similarly, drawing a comparison between the removal of Nikolai Yezhov from photos following his execution and media correctly recognising the lack of significance to carrying out a celebrity role at a sporting event is another example of a tactic used by dubious media to attempt to inflate the importance of something; by drawing an analogy between the trivial and the significant, an attempt is made to inflate the importance of the trivial.

The examples you're providing are helpful illustrations of how media attempts to manipulate, but I'm not sure that's what you're going for.

No. It's trivia. Recognising that a celebrity role at a sporting event is a celebrity role and of little broader importance is placing it in context - an important aspect of media literacy

Whereas declaring it "Presidential History" while also repeatedly putting in photos of it for no credible reason, that's a good example of the kind of thing to watch out for in dubious media attempting to inflate something out of all proportion.

Similarly, drawing a comparison between the removal of Nikolai Yezhov from photos following his execution and media correctly recognising the lack of significance to carrying out a celebrity role at a sporting event is another example of a tactic used by dubious media to attempt to inflate the importance of something; by drawing an analogy between the trivial and the significant, an attempt is made to inflate the importance of the trivial.

The examples you're providing are helpful illustrations of how media attempts to manipulate, but I'm not sure that's what you're going for.
    WRONG!
    How else are we going to be able to find hagiographic information about Trump in these times of limited exposure?

1583758344308.png
    When I ignore my kids whining about something, it's not contempt for them. it is just realizing their issues is small potatoes and not worth worrying about.

It is so sad how you are taking this DD.

Out of curiosity, what about Stalin is Leftist?
    Was he liberal? Was he progressive?
    Outside of labeling him a **** commie, what is leftist about him?

For one, he seemed to be pretty sold on the idea that the means of.production should not be in the hands of private individuals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom